2018 Cosplay Death Match

You don't need to be in costume to post in this cosplay forum... but sometimes it helps.
Rhys Ifane
AB Staff

2018 Cosplay Death Match

Post by Rhys Ifane » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:51 am

Has this whole year gotten you feeling down? Are you already sick of the cold weather and even colder people? Would you like to blow off some steam by watching people struggle to survive? If you answered yes to any of these questions, or not because that's fine too, then I'm here to put the twinkle back in your eyes. Anime Boston 2018 will see the glorious spectacle that is Cosplay Death Match!

For anyone who may have been living under a rock until this point (I really wouldn't blame you at this point), Cosplay Death Match is a massive tournament featuring some of the most recognizable characters from throughout anime, manga, and videogames. These characters will all square off in a fight to the death. Here is the best part. You get to decide who wins and who dies. That's right. The volume of the audience cheering will determine the outcome of every fight. Watch the combatants plead, bargain, and try to fanservice their way out of harm's way.

Now, for this event, there needs to be combatants to mercilessly kill. If you believe that you have a cosplay of a character that you think would be great as a fighter, slump on the floor, or possible zombie, then sign up to participate. Applications for the Cosplay Death Match and all other Cosplay Games Events will open on January 1st, 2018 at noon and will remain open through the end of February.

I highly recommend checking out the Anime Boston Cosplay FAQ here =====> http://www.animeboston.com/cosplay/cosplay_faq/
You can use the Cosplay HQ page on the Anime Boston website to apply to Cosplay Games here =====> http://www.animeboston.com/cosplayhq/

:arrow: A reminder: Anime Boston is an anime convention that is part of the New England Anime Society (NEAS). As such, we can only accept applications from characters that originally hail from a japanese created media. That means we cannot accept anything from Batman, Stephen Universe, Avatar, Overwatch, etc. This is not my rule, but it is a very important rule that has consequences for the convention itself if I break it. I will not bend on this one thing.

Now then, I look forward to seeing what incredible cosplays you all have to display. I will be eagerly watching the applications page fill up. You all rock.
David Burke
Cosplay Games Staff 2014-2019
Cosplay Death Match Coordinator

foreverfinn
Veteran Poster

Re: 2018 Cosplay Death Match

Post by foreverfinn » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:22 pm

I know we won't know what day cos games r on til the whole schedule is released, but do u know what day you're planning/hoping for it to be on? If I remember correctly it was on a friday in 2016 when I did it, don't remember about last year, and just wanted to check, since I plan my cosplays for certain days and wanna know which to apply with. Thank you!
AB 2018 Cosplay Lineup

Thursday: ???
Friday: ??? / ???
Saturday: Wonderful Rush Rin Hoshizora (Love Live!) performing with Shining Sky Idol Project / ???
Sunday: Cheer Nozomi Tojo (Love Live!)

Next Con

???

Instagram

@forever.withyoursoul

ksmurf
AB Staff

Post by ksmurf » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:39 pm

foreverfinn wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:22 pm
I know we won't know what day cos games r on til the whole schedule is released, but do u know what day you're planning/hoping for it to be on? If I remember correctly it was on a friday in 2016 when I did it, don't remember about last year, and just wanted to check, since I plan my cosplays for certain days and wanna know which to apply with. Thank you!
Historically, Cosplay Death Match has been early Friday afternoon, but that could always change. We will definitely post an update once we have more clarity on the schedule!
Alison Bird
AB Cosplay Games Coordinator 2019
AB Cosplay Games Technical Coordinator 2016-2018
Attendee: Anime Boston 2004-2015

ABCosGames - Putting the play in Cosplay!

Rhys Ifane
AB Staff

Post by Rhys Ifane » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:29 am

foreverfinn wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:22 pm
I won't know what time slot it will be until the schedule is released. That being said, the last two years Cosplay Death Match was on Friday at 1:30 in the afternoon.
David Burke

chibi-lover
I'm new!

Post by chibi-lover » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:34 pm

how do you apply for the cosplay death match?

ksmurf
AB Staff

Post by ksmurf » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:01 pm

You can use the Cosplay HQ page on the Anime Boston website to apply to Cosplay Games here =====> http://www.animeboston.com/cosplayhq/
1. Log in to the forums. Your forum account doubles as your Cosplay HQ account.

2. Go to the link above for Cosplay HQ.

3. Add costumes to your profile. You'll have the chance to build a little portfolio of your cosplays. Each cosplay can have up to 3 photos. We typically recommend full length shots of the front and back of you in the costume.

4. On the main screen for Cosplay HQ, find Cosplay Games in the menu. Click the link.

5. Check off the events you wish to apply to. A form will open. Complete the form. Make sure you hit submit.

That's pretty much it!
Alison Bird

FIDH LOTD
I'm new!

Post by FIDH LOTD » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:54 pm

So i applied for the death match yesterday and I applied a group as team RWBY. Is this ok? i mean its not originally japanese, but it is considered an anime.
I am a living potato

ksmurf
AB Staff

Post by ksmurf » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:25 pm

FIDH LOTD wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:54 pm
So i applied for the death match yesterday and I applied a group as team RWBY. Is this ok? i mean its not originally japanese, but it is considered an anime.
Although styled like an anime, RWBY is an American franchise and unfortunately does not qualify. It's the same reason that anime-style shows such as Avatar the Last Airbender do not qualify. Sadly, we cannot consider any series that are not Japanese in origin.
Alison Bird

FIDH LOTD
I'm new!

Post by FIDH LOTD » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:04 pm

ok thank you for letting me know
I am a living potato

Rhys Ifane
AB Staff

Post by Rhys Ifane » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:09 am

REMINDER: Applications close in a little over 2 weeks! Remember that if you are part of a group that is applying, every person in that group needs to apply. Also, if you have already applied, but your application does not include a picture of you wearing the costume, please try to update your application soon.
David Burke

Nira_xoxo
I'm new!

Post by Nira_xoxo » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:36 am

So I attended the Cosplay Death Match last year and there were a few cosplays that weren't anime in the Death Match. Example: Jackie Chan, Bob Ross, ect. Is this a new rule for this year? I also applied and never heard anything back. Do people get notifications if they're not accepted? (Was attempting to do Judge Trudy and her Dancing Lobster from the Amanda Show.)

ksmurf
AB Staff

Post by ksmurf » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:11 pm

So I attended the Cosplay Death Match last year and there were a few cosplays that weren't anime in the Death Match. Example: Jackie Chan, Bob Ross, ect. Is this a new rule for this year?
The Japanese-origin rule has been around for several years. All of our participants in the Death Match last year were from series/properties that originated from Japan. If you have any additional concerns, feel free to reach out to the Cosplay Games Coordinator through the Anime Boston Contact form: http://www.animeboston.com/coninfo/contact/
I also applied and never heard anything back. Do people get notifications if they're not accepted?
Applications close on Wednesday February 28, 2018. Coordinators will select their participants after that date. You will receive a communication within 1-2 weeks indicating whether you have been accepted, wait listed, or declined. At that point, you will also be able to log into Cosplay HQ to see the status of your Cosplay Games applications.
Alison Bird

GoggleBoy
AB Staff

Post by GoggleBoy » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:58 pm

Nira_xoxo wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:36 am
So I attended the Cosplay Death Match last year and there were a few cosplays that weren't anime in the Death Match. Example: Jackie Chan, Bob Ross, ect. Is this a new rule for this year?
I believe you're thinking of either AAC or QCK's Death Matches as I know those character participated in those events.
Cosplay Chess Coordinator - AB 2018
An actual official Yu-Gi-Oh judge who cosplays Pegasus
First one to die - AB Deathmatch 2014-2017

"He used to be a volleyball player like the rest, then he took a bullet to the knee." - Me, enjoying all the ensuing cringe that came afterwards.

Rhys Ifane
AB Staff

Post by Rhys Ifane » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:31 pm

7 Days.....
David Burke

KaminariNoKage
Getting the hang of this...

Post by KaminariNoKage » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:43 pm

Rhys Ifane wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:31 pm
7 Days.....
I can only put together tentacle-slug-boy so fast. D:
2018 Lineup:
Aculeatus (Houseki No Kuni/Land of the Lustrous)
Viral, Post-Time skip (Gurren Lagann)
Tokoyami (My Hero Academia)

Rhys Ifane
AB Staff

Post by Rhys Ifane » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:02 pm

Update: As of this moment, I have received approximately 50 eligible applications. When applications closed last year, there were around 100. That means you all owe me like another 50 applications in the next 3 days and 58 minutes. If you have applied as a group, make sure every person in your group applies before the deadline. I don't want to turn away 1 person from a group because they didn't apply.
David Burke

ksmurf
AB Staff

Post by ksmurf » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:19 pm

Schedule Update -

Death Match will be 1:30-3:30pm on Friday.

If you're looking to kick off your Anime Boston weekend with a bang - apply for Death Match!
Alison Bird

Rhys Ifane
AB Staff

Post by Rhys Ifane » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:00 am

FINAL REMINDERS

Today, February 28th is the last day to apply to Cosplay Games events. At the stroke of midnight, applications will close and you will not be able to submit any. If you have any edits to make to an existing application, such as adding photos of you in the cosplay, that needs to be done by midnight tonight as well.

If you have applied as part of a group, all group members need to individually apply. Every single one. When applications close, if I choose to accept a group with 5 members listed, but only 4 of them have applied, then that last person will not be allowed to participate. I will also be enforcing this at the door to the event. I had to turn away someone last year who forgot to apply. I don't want to have to this year. If you have already applied, make sure your fellow group members apply. Afterall, if you applied to an event with 4 of your friends as the Ginyu Force, but only 3 of you actually apply, it's going to be a little weird seeing a 3-man Ginyu Force on stage.

A couple days ago I said that I had received about 50 eligible applications for Death Match and that I wanted to see more. Well, you people are awesome and do not disappoint easily. As of this moment, I have received 70 applications. You people are awesome.

Lastly, if you want to apply, but your cosplay is not completed, apply anyway with what you have so far. Mention in your application that you are just finishing it up and that it will be ready for the event. I will take this into account. Afterall, it's not required to be complete today. I just need to be able to see progress and an application.

You all have 15 hours remaining. Tell your friends, siblings, and grandmothers to apply. We need people to murder for no reason at all.
David Burke

Rhys Ifane
AB Staff

Post by Rhys Ifane » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:42 am

Applications are officially closed for Cosplay Games events! Final total of applicants for Death Match this year is 81. Pretty solid considering there was 52 three days ago. Over the next several days I will be going over applications with my team to decide who is on the waitlist, who is accepted, and who I couldn't make room for. Once that is completed, I will be sending out emails to every applicant. Keep your eyes on your inboxes.
David Burke

Rhys Ifane
AB Staff

Post by Rhys Ifane » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:39 pm

I have just finished narrowing down the applications to 32 accepted teams and individuals and another 6 for the waitlist. I am very busy of the next couple days and as a result, I am aiming to send out the emails to everyone who applied on Monday March 5th.

In the interest of giving as many people as possible an opportunity to participate, I have combined some individuals and groups to make larger groups. If anyone has a question for me about why I combined group x and person y, declined person z, waitlisted group h, etc., I welcome you to email me directly at david.burke@animeboston.com. I am more than happy to explain why I chose to do various things. Reasons for not being accepted vary from a costume not being eligible because it is not from an appropriate source to simply having received multiple applications from people wanting to be the same character.

Narrowing things down was incredibly difficult and there was even one individual that I'm actually really mad that I could not accept. You have all outdone yourselves this year with your cosplays and I look forward to working with you soon. Thank you.
David Burke

Rhys Ifane
AB Staff

Post by Rhys Ifane » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:54 am

All emails to applicants have been sent out! Check your inbox!
David Burke

Rhys Ifane
AB Staff

Post by Rhys Ifane » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:49 pm

By the end of the week I will be sending out an email to my participants and waitlist detailing information that is set in stone for at con.
David Burke

Nenie
Determined Poster

Post by Nenie » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:01 am

Woo!
AB07 Aya from Super Gals
AB08 Bouquet from Blue Dragon & Kairi from KH2
AB09 Dawn from Pokemon Diamond and Pearl
AB10 Pan from Dragon Ball GT
AB11 Mio Akiyama from K-On!
AB12 Talim from Soul Calibur 2
AB13 Utena from Revolutionary Girl Utena
AB14 Rico Brzenska from Attack on Titan & Terra from Teen Titans
AB15 Rico Brzenska from Attack on Titan & Utena
AB16 Casey from Pokemon
AB17 Kiyone from Tenchi Muyo & Pokemon Go Trainer
AB18 Team Skull Grunt & Kiyone

Rhys Ifane
AB Staff

Post by Rhys Ifane » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:23 pm

Final email has been sent out. I'm off to go be the worst pirate you've ever heard of.
David Burke

Kiarrens
The Lone Mod

Post by Kiarrens » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:41 am

Rhys Ifane wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:23 pm
Final email has been sent out. I'm off to go be the worst pirate you've ever heard of.
But we HAVE heard of you.
Lyndsey Zusi
Assistant Director of Programming - Cosplay Divison 2019
Masquerade Coordinator 2015 - 2019
Assistant Masquerade Coordinator 2013 - 2014
Cosplay Chess Coordinator 2009 -2014
Attendee 2003 - 2009

The Anime Boston Masquerade Staff Creed: "It's our job to panic so you don't have to."

Rhys Ifane
AB Staff

Post by Rhys Ifane » Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:17 pm

Kiarrens wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:41 am
Rhys Ifane wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:23 pm
But we HAVE heard of you.
Sweetie, everyone's heard of me.
David Burke