Question about Cosplay HQ apps

You don't need to be in costume to post in this cosplay forum... but sometimes it helps.
Dreamoflife
Getting the hang of this...

Question about Cosplay HQ apps

Post by Dreamoflife » Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:41 pm

I have a question about Cosplay HQ. I want to apply for the craftsmanship section of the Masquerade when it opens-- the trouble is, the costume is not at a point where I can take a photo of myself in it, since it's still in progress. The rules say not to upload an image of the character itself, or a photo of the costume not on you, so... how should I proceed?

FullHealthCosplay
I'm new!

Re: Question about Cosplay HQ apps

Post by FullHealthCosplay » Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:25 pm

I am not sure about AB, but other cons I have gone too allow for submission of concept art or even minor progress pictures like cut patterns for a jacket.

Also tag on question, where and when are sign ups?

MandaTifa
AB Staff

Post by MandaTifa » Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:44 am

Hello!

Photos are not required for Masquerade signups, so you can rest easy there. Signups go live on Jan 1 at noon, so keep your eyes peeled for the announcement!

Happy Holidays!
Amanda Graves
Masquerade Staff 2012 - 2018
Attendee 2010-2011
Bakuretsu Con Staff 2009-2016

The Anime Boston Masquerade Staff Creed: "It's our job to panic so you don't have to."

"Regardless of warnings the future doesn't scare me at all. Nothing's like before."

foreverfinn
Veteran Poster

Post by foreverfinn » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:24 pm

MandaTifa wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:44 am
Hello!

Photos are not required for Masquerade signups, so you can rest easy there. Signups go live on Jan 1 at noon, so keep your eyes peeled for the announcement!

Happy Holidays!
About when apps go live... for the masquerade and cos games, does applying earlier give you a better chance of acceptance? or are all apps evaluated after the deadline?
AB 2018 Cosplay Lineup

Thursday: ???
Friday: ??? / ???
Saturday: Wonderful Rush Rin Hoshizora (Love Live!) performing with Shining Sky Idol Project / ???
Sunday: Cheer Nozomi Tojo (Love Live!)

Next Con

???

Instagram

@forever.withyoursoul

ksmurf
AB Staff

Post by ksmurf » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:37 pm

foreverfinn wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:24 pm

About when apps go live... for the masquerade and cos games, does applying earlier give you a better chance of acceptance? or are all apps evaluated after the deadline?
I can't speak to the Masquerade, but for Cosplay Games - our team doesn't make any final decisions about participant selection until after the deadline. You never know what awesome cosplays might come in at the last minute!

For Cosplay Games, one thing that you can do to increase your chances of acceptance is make sure you have good pictures of your cosplay. Full length shots of you in your cosplay make it easier for us to evaluate the applications.
Alison Bird
AB Cosplay Games Technical Coordinator 2017-2018
AB Cosplay Games Assistant Technical Coordinator 2016
Attendee: Anime Boston 2004-2015

foreverfinn
Veteran Poster

Post by foreverfinn » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:46 pm

ksmurf wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:37 pm
foreverfinn wrote:

I can't speak to the Masquerade, but for Cosplay Games - our team doesn't make any final decisions about participant selection until after the deadline. You never know what awesome cosplays might come in at the last minute!

For Cosplay Games, one thing that you can do to increase your chances of acceptance is make sure you have good pictures of your cosplay. Full length shots of you in your cosplay make it easier for us to evaluate the applications.
Alright, thanks so much! I did some searching and found that masquerade is first come first served, but found nothing about cosplay games. Thanks again for the answer, I can rest easy now, since my cosplays aren't done yet haha
AB 2018 Cosplay Lineup

Saturday: Wonderful Rush Rin Hoshizora (Love Live!) performing with Shining Sky Idol Project / ???

Next Con

???

Instagram

@forever.withyoursoul

MandaTifa
AB Staff

Post by MandaTifa » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:38 am

foreverfinn wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:46 pm
ksmurf wrote:
foreverfinn wrote:

Alright, thanks so much! I did some searching and found that masquerade is first come first served, but found nothing about cosplay games. Thanks again for the answer, I can rest easy now, since my cosplays aren't done yet haha
For a little clarification: Craftsmanship are accepted on a first-come-first-served basis, but we put a lot of thought into selecting skits for the performance entries! If you're feeling at all theatrical, I highly encourage anyone to apply for performance! :)
Amanda Graves
Attendee 2010-2011

The Anime Boston Masquerade Staff Creed: "It's our job to panic so you don't have to."

"Regardless of warnings the future doesn't scare me at all. Nothing's like before."

foreverfinn
Veteran Poster

Post by foreverfinn » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:17 pm

MandaTifa wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:38 am
foreverfinn wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:46 pm
ksmurf wrote:
foreverfinn wrote:

For a little clarification: Craftsmanship are accepted on a first-come-first-served basis, but we put a lot of thought into selecting skits for the performance entries! If you're feeling at all theatrical, I highly encourage anyone to apply for performance! :)
Oh really? So performance isn't first come first served? And you don't have to make your own costumes for performance, right?
AB 2018 Cosplay Lineup

Next Con

???

Instagram

@forever.withyoursoul

MandaTifa
AB Staff

Post by MandaTifa » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:31 pm

foreverfinn wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:17 pm

Oh really? So performance isn't first come first served? And you don't have to make your own costumes for performance, right?
While the ENTIRETY of costumes for the Performance side of the Masquerade don't necessarily need to be handmade, we do need to know how much of the costume is handmade (or not), because that will have an impact on the overall judging. But mostly what we're looking for with Performance skits is quality and originality because we want the Masquerade to be a great show!
Amanda Graves
Attendee 2010-2011