Masquerade Application Materials

You don't need to be in costume to post in this cosplay forum... but sometimes it helps.
ApocalypseUnicorn
Getting the hang of this...

Masquerade Application Materials

Post by ApocalypseUnicorn » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:38 am

Hey there. Me again with yet another Masquerade question almost half a year before the actual convention. I'm seriously looking into applying for the Masquerade for the first time this year, but I had a question about what materials I should have prepared for my initial application. For my initial application for the Masquerade (Performance division, if that matters), would I need photographs of the cosplay I'm applying with like I do for the cosplay games? Or would I just submit my idea and the expectation is that the cosplay would be completed by the convention? My main prop for my planned skit is going to be a doozy, so I want to make sure I give myself plenty of time to get it done. Thanks in advance!

Kiarrens
The Lone Mod

Re: Masquerade Application Materials

Post by Kiarrens » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:47 pm

Hello!

For your initial application, you won't need photos like cosplay games. If you're applying with a performance entry, try to get as detailed a concept statement as possible. The more you give us, the better we can judge your idea. For instance,

"My friend and I are planning to do a dramatic reenactment of the scene in Fullmetal Alchemist when Ed and Al bring their mother back from the dead. We plan to use fabric streamers to create the effect of the alchemy and will have a large sheet with the alchemic symbol painted on it to lay on the stage. Here is our script, complete with blocking:"

would have a much better chance of getting in than something like this:

"We're going to dress up as characters from Love Live and do a dance."

If you have audio done already, this will be a HUGE point in your favor, but it's not necessary for your initial application. Just give us as much as you can (script, blocking, choreography) so we can get an idea of how it will look and play out on-stage!
Lyndsey Zusi
Masquerade Coordinator 2015 - 2017
Cosplay Chess Coordinator 2009-2014

The Anime Boston Masquerade Staff Creed: "It's our job to panic so you don't have to."