Cosplay Games Application Rules

You don't need to be in costume to post in this cosplay forum... but sometimes it helps.
cookiesweet
Expert Poster

Cosplay Games Application Rules

Post by cookiesweet » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:32 pm

Hey everyone, I have a question that hopefully you can shed some light on. A group of friends and I want to do a Power Puff Girls cosplay and my friend want to apply to the games however, I feel like I remember them making a rule in the past few years that only characters from Japanese origins can apply and enter. I checked the FAQ on the website but the answer was very vague saying "While we are an anime convention, we do not require that cosplays be exclusive to Japanese media (unless you are planning on wearing the costume to participate in a specific cosplay event, like Masquerade or Chess)." So i'm assuming it's only Japanese origins but we wanted to double check. Thanks in advance!
Anime Expo 2012 Chocolat from Sugar Sugar Rune
Anime Boston 2013 Sakura Kinomoto from CardCaptor Sakura
Anime Boston 2014 Kirakishou from Rozen Maiden

Anime Boston 2015 Nui Harime from Kill La Kill
Anime Boston 2016 Belldandy from Oh My Goddess and Amulet Heart from Shugo Chara
Anime Boston 2017 Sakura Kinomoto from CardCaptor and Belldandy from Oh My Goddess
Anime Boston 2018 Goddess Madoka from Madoka Magica, Blossom from PowerPuff Girls and Lum from Urusei Yastura

ksmurf
AB Staff

Re: Cosplay Games Application Rules

Post by ksmurf » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:44 pm

Hey there!

Your reading of the rule is correct: Cosplay Game events can only accept cosplays of characters of Japanese origin. Since Powerpuff Girls are not of Japanese origin, so they would not be elligible.

That said, Powerpuff Girls are totally awesome and we'd love to see your cosplays - so feel free to drop by Cosplay Games HQ to say hello!

Alison Bird
AB Cosplay Games Tech 2016-2018
Attendee: AB04 - AB15

cookiesweet
Expert Poster

Post by cookiesweet » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:28 pm

Okay, so it is as I had originally thought. My friend was so sure it wasn't a rule, that I had thought I had completely imagined it was thing! Thank you for getting backed to me, and we definitely looking forward to saying hi. :D
Anime Expo 2012 Chocolat from Sugar Sugar Rune
Anime Boston 2013 Sakura Kinomoto from CardCaptor Sakura
Anime Boston 2014 Kirakishou from Rozen Maiden

Anime Boston 2015 Nui Harime from Kill La Kill
Anime Boston 2016 Belldandy from Oh My Goddess and Amulet Heart from Shugo Chara
Anime Boston 2017 Sakura Kinomoto from CardCaptor and Belldandy from Oh My Goddess
Anime Boston 2018 Goddess Madoka from Madoka Magica, Blossom from PowerPuff Girls and Lum from Urusei Yastura

Victablook
Expert Poster

Post by Victablook » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:32 pm

wasn't there a powerpuff girls anime though? would that count?
ab 2013 - damara megido (homestuck)
ab 2014 - ramona flowers (scott pilgrim)
ab 2015 - matoi ryuko (kill la kill)
ab 2016 - nanami chiaki (super dangan ronpa 2)

ab 2017
friday, saturday morning/afternoon: matoi ryuko (kill la kill)
saturday evening: modern au!fenris (dragon age ii)
sunday: myself

ab 2018 plans
shiota nagisa (assassination classroom)

ksmurf
AB Staff

Post by ksmurf » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:04 pm

Unfortunately, anime adaptations of shows that originated outside of Japan also do not qualify.

For example, Iron Man / Tony Stark would not qualify just because an anime was made of Iron Man. The same applies to Power Puff Girl (original) and Power Puff Girl Z (anime).

Alison Bird
AB Cosplay Games Tech 2016-2018
Attendee: AB04 - AB15