Metal costume pieces

You don't need to be in costume to post in this cosplay forum... but sometimes it helps.
murzweil
I'm new!

Metal costume pieces

Post by murzweil » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:06 pm

I've tried to look for any topic concerning this, but the one I found was a couple years old, so I'd like to just make sure that nothing much has changed. I was wondering if I could get in the con with metal armor pieces for my costume. I just don't wanna come in there and get told to take my costume off.

FiretoIce
Expert Poster

Re: Metal costume pieces

Post by FiretoIce » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:49 pm

Hi
Obligatory: Anime Boston cannot pre approve props or costumes.
I am not Staff

Questions: where is the metal
How much of the costume is metal
Is anything sharp?
Rule of thumb: will your costume break before it breaks a person?

Larger cons tend to have stricter security.
2017 AB-
San
Boros
Ashiya

murzweil
I'm new!

Post by murzweil » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:30 pm

FiretoIce wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:49 pm
Hi
I am not Staff

Is anything sharp?

Nothing sharp. The metal is only on my forearms and my head as plating. Although the helmet I'm using completely covers my head. There's nothing too disruptive that could possibly injure someone unless they decide to throw a punch at my head for some reason.

I did read the rules and saw nothing against it, but again like you said that's completely up to the staff to approve costumes.

FiretoIce
Expert Poster

Post by FiretoIce » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:38 am

murzweil wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:30 pm
FiretoIce wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:49 pm
Hi
I am not Staff

Is anything sharp?

Nothing sharp. The metal is only on my forearms and my head as plating. Although the helmet I'm using completely covers my head. There's nothing too disruptive that could possibly injure someone unless they decide to throw a punch at my head for some reason.

I did read the rules and saw nothing against it, but again like you said that's completely up to the staff to approve costumes.

I really don't know. At a smaller con I'm sure it'd be fine.
I tend to avoid any problems like this by using eva and worbla.
All I can say is good luck.
2017 AB-
San
Boros
Ashiya

Sylal3us
Getting the hang of this...

Post by Sylal3us » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:55 pm

I would like to piggyback off OP if I may. What are some opinions on chain mail? A costume I am considering uses a chain shirt as an element to it. It came from someone who used to LARP, and as such is on the heavier side of all my costumes (I believe it's steel).

But the funny thing is, it's heavy but the costume it goes with is one of my easiest to move in when to another costume of mine with foam and fabric armor.
Just your everyday average part-time cosplayer.
2017cosplays: Friday:?
Saturday: 1/4 heart left Link (legend of zelda)
Sunday: ?

Shiroikami
Veteran Poster

Post by Shiroikami » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:06 pm

Armor is a bit different. Since it's actual metal, your chain shirt will probably give you issues whenever you want to go through security, but otherwise your biggest issue will be the question of "can I stand wearing this for many hours in large crowds?"

I know it's probably a bit late to do this since AB is just around the corner, but I've seen some very nice chain mail made from plastic links painted silver. It's very lightweight (although not necessarily durable enough for LARPing), doesn't set of metal detectors, and looks nice.
Flying is easy. You just have to learn to throw yourself at the ground... and miss...

2007 - Shinigami in Pink
2008 - Mitsuru (Persona 3)
2010 - Jade Curtiss: Doctor Mambo costume title (Tales of the Abyss)
2012 - Xion (Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days)
2013 - Yukionna
2014 - Kyubei (Puella Magi Madoka Magica)
2015 - Sailor Jupiter
2016 - Akatsuki (Log Horizon)
2017 - Sailor Jupiter

Thrillho
Experienced Poster

Post by Thrillho » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:08 am

My advice would be that if you intend on wearing chainmail, you might want to make sure you can remove it easily, if only for the fact that if security waves the metal detector wand and your entire upper body sets it off, they may ask you to remove for another wand sweep.
1/4 of Curtain Call Cosplay

AB 2016 (First Time!)
Professor Ozpin (RWBY) / Spike Spiegel (Cowboy Bebop) / Kouta (Elfen Lied)

AB 2017
Spike Spiegel (Cowboy Bebop) / Haruko Haruhara (FLCL) / Oscar Pine (RWBY) / Zant (Hyrule Warriors)

Sylal3us
Getting the hang of this...

Post by Sylal3us » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:46 am

@Thrillho: I can take it off like a normal t-shirt if need be. Navigating the ears may be tricky but I can manage that. If anything, the metal bits on my shield that hold the handle and strap may be more of a problem at security. XD

@Shiroikami: time of wear is no issue. It may have been a while since I last wore it but if I could successfully hand out candy at a mall Halloween party and not sit or move from 1 spot for 3 hours whilst handing out taffy to hyperactive inner city brats-I mean delightful children, a con is no probs! (Also, when I bought the shirt, it was 40 bucks with shipping. Can't beat that price >.> )
Just your everyday average part-time cosplayer.
2017cosplays: Friday:?
Saturday: 1/4 heart left Link (legend of zelda)
Sunday: ?