Grell Cosplay prop question

You don't need to be in costume to post in this cosplay forum... but sometimes it helps.
LadyBlackRose
Getting the hang of this...

Grell Cosplay prop question

Post by LadyBlackRose » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:24 pm

My friend is cosplaying as Grell from Black Butler and since his chainsaw death-scythe is beyond our capabilities to make, we were going to get some child safety scissors as his scissor death-scythes. We are wondering though if they would be acceptable under the props policy of AB?
~LadyBlackRose

Selestyl
Veteran Poster

Re: Grell Cosplay prop question

Post by Selestyl » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:46 pm

Obligatory warning that props can't be preapproved but honestly? I'd stay away from any real blade, child safe or not. I have a bad feeling that won't fly.
2017 Cosplays:
Ema Skye - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Spirit of Justice (partnered with husband, playing Datz Are'bal) - 100% complete!
Piccolo - Dragonball Z - 100% complete!!
Fem!Ignis - Final Fantasy XV - 100% complete!

Princess_Kaylin
Obsessed Poster

Post by Princess_Kaylin » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:56 pm

yes a lot of the smaller cons might let it but anything big like AB is just a target zone for things not being allowed cause its harder to monitor and keep an eye on everyone.

For Anime boston or big cons like this I suggest using foam or corny funny weapons, for any char with a gun or blade I usually have some giant ridiculous foam version or a blow up version cause no one can get in trouble for something so flimsy and funny XD

there are some giant fake plastic scissors around and also saw some chainsaw foam hats, either of those would make your costume stand out and get laughs since yeah cant do any damage to anyone with either but can break the ice of anyone looking at a serious cosplay and then seeing something just not real at all
===========[2017]============
  • Alia - Megaman X ........................Ghostbuster - Ghostbuster
    Rebecca Chambers - Resident Evil....................Riza Hawkeye - Fullmetal Alchemist
    Emi Yusa - Devil is a Part Timer ..................Princess Lana - Captain N
    ....................................Lucy - Fairy Tail......................................

Selestyl
Veteran Poster

Post by Selestyl » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:06 am

To add to the above post, any props I want to be sure absolutely don't freak people out (I.e. My better half's gun for Reborn last year, his kukri knife for Datz this year, and my dagger for Ignis this year), I'll make it out of cardboard. It's so obviously fake upon inspection, but at the right angle in pictures it'll still look awesome!
2017 Cosplays:
Ema Skye - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Spirit of Justice (partnered with husband, playing Datz Are'bal) - 100% complete!
Piccolo - Dragonball Z - 100% complete!!
Fem!Ignis - Final Fantasy XV - 100% complete!