Cosplay and cold weather!

You don't need to be in costume to post in this cosplay forum... but sometimes it helps.
OtakuJolyn
Getting the hang of this...

Cosplay and cold weather!

Post by OtakuJolyn » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:14 am

Hey guys,
So this season is quite cold and quite snowy. I'd just like to let cosplayers remember that New England can be quite cold. Because we don't need cosplayers dying of hypothermia while waiting in line outside or while traveling!
Also just a general question about how you would stay warm this year's con. Any tips or tricks?
2016: Tree Higher, MLP
2017: Espeon, Pokemon

Selestyl
Veteran Poster

Re: Cosplay and cold weather!

Post by Selestyl » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:51 am

I'm considering leggings or thermals under my cosplay! Bring a bag and you can tuck them away as soon as you arrive.
2017 Cosplays:
Ema Skye - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Spirit of Justice (partnered with husband, playing Datz Are'bal) - 100% complete!
Piccolo - Dragonball Z - 100% complete!!
Fem!Ignis - Final Fantasy XV - 100% complete!

p_asagiri
I'm new!

Post by p_asagiri » Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:36 pm

Good point for those coming from warmer climates.
For those wearing foam armor, don't worry you'll be fine. :)

Ficus
AB Staff

Post by Ficus » Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:15 pm

If you're planning to walk around outside the Hynes/ Prudential Center then a coat is always great. I have an overly big one that I can fit over most of my cosplays and makes me look more normal when walking around the general public. The Sheraton next door, and in the past the Hynes itself, have a coat check so when you get inside, you don't have to worry about carrying around something so heavy. It isn't too expensive, so just bring some extra dolla bills, yo.

On the flip side, wearing too many layers can get hot in a crowded panel room, or during a show, so make sure to drink plenty of water (water coolers conveniently located just within most large rooms in the Hynes). I also keep a small paper fan in my purse to get the air around me circulating, and cool people down. During the masquerade, you could say I'm participants' number one fan. 8-)
Ashley Shaffer
Masquerade Staff- 2017

Sylal3us
Getting the hang of this...

Post by Sylal3us » Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:18 pm

For anyone doing any kind of cosplay involving a dress that is sleeveless or has short sleeves: I have worn a small mini-cape or full blown cape with a hood and have added elbow-length gloves (black or white) to a few of my costumes in the past. They can be warm and add another cute layer to an outfit, plus they can be easily shoved into a bag once indoors. Case-in-point, my pink Ciel ballgown from Black Butler. Last year was quite chilly/windy so I dug out my black capelet I had gotten for prom several years ago and added it over my shoulders. Kept me toasty all the time I was outside, and got a few passers-by to ask where I got it. Personally, I feel every cosplayer should have a basic velveteen black cape. (Get at post-Halloween sales!) They come in handy! ;)
Just your everyday average part-time cosplayer.
2017cosplays: undecided. But at least 1 person from my RWBY Team Dead Red Heads will make an appearance at AB!

Elli21486
Dedicated Poster

Post by Elli21486 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:52 pm

If anyone is interested, I have a weather thread in the City of Boston Information section to discuss about this year's weather concerns.
Past Conventions:
AB '07; AB '08; AB '09; AB '11; AB '12; AB '13; AB '14; AB '15, AB '16

2017 Anime Boston Stats Updated: 3-26-2017
Went: 0/3 Days (Hasn't started yet)
Photos Taken: 0
Videos Taken: 0 hours
Periscoped Videos: 0

Creator of the Anime Boston Voter's Reaction vids. View them at Eri21486's Youtube Channel

Past Picture Galleries
2012 | 2014 | 2015 | 2016

Selestyl
Veteran Poster

Post by Selestyl » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:37 pm

Can the bag check be used if you're not staying at either of the hotels? That's why I've never brought a coat before (and because I am strong, hear me roar. Also see me shiver. I'm kind of dumb like that.)
2017 Cosplays:
Ema Skye - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Spirit of Justice (partnered with husband, playing Datz Are'bal) - 100% complete!

AnnaNeko
Veteran Poster

Post by AnnaNeko » Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:22 am

Selestyl wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:37 pm
Can the bag check be used if you're not staying at either of the hotels?
oooooor the nice bag check in the Hynes! It's what, a dollar per thing?

Personally, my biggest issue usually becomes "whats the least of my cosplay I can wear on the train" My coat can fit even the fluffiest of lolita petticoats so being overall warm isn't a problem, but where does one put that apron with the giant bow & all the other small bits & pieces that are just too much trouble before you get there
why, yes, I have been goin to this con since day 1. Wanna brain-break on the age math?

AB '16 cosplay check
[Friday/Saturday] Lisbeth - Sword Art Online
[Sunday] Hanayo - LoveLive!

Selestyl
Veteran Poster

Post by Selestyl » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:24 am

Oh awesome! This is the first year I might cave and take a coat.
2017 Cosplays:

Nenie
Determined Poster

Post by Nenie » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:58 am

Skin color tights and try and stay indoors as much as you can.
AB07-Aya from Super Gals
AB08-Bouquet from Blue Dragon & Kairi from KH2
AB09-Dawn from Pokemon Diamond and Pearl
AB10-Pan from Dragon Ball GT
AB11-Mio Akiyama from K-On!
AB12-Talim from Soul Calibur 2
AB13-Utena from Revolutionary Girl Utena
AB14- Rico Brzenska from Attack on Titan & Terra from Teen Titans
AB15- Rico Brzenska from Attack on Titan & Utena from Revolutionary Girl Utena
AB16- Casey from Pokemon

AB17- Kiyone from Tenchi Muyo & Pokemon Go Trainer

FiretoIce
Experienced Poster

Post by FiretoIce » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:06 pm

Little bit of the opposite:

Armor wearers:
You'll be really hot in your armor, until you start sweating and get really really cold. I've been practicing in my top piece, and I'll sweat, change into a tank top, then sweat some more, then freeze. Bring spare under armor if you can, and a towel. Once your armor gets wet, it stays wet until dried. I am using a tiny electric fan and my handler has water and batteries on hand, basic handler stuff. I feel like such a child packing towels, spare clothes and adult sippy cups to not mess up my makeup with water.
Non armor Cosplays: same goes to you, as soon as you start sweating, prepare to freeze when you go outside. Spare under clothes are your friends.
2017 AB-
San- 90%
Boros- 80%
Ashiya- 90%

Final count down! *Stress drop*

Old_School_Anime_Lover02
Committed Poster

Post by Old_School_Anime_Lover02 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:59 pm

Pick anime characters that has more then 1 set of layers...say a long sleeved with a shirt over it and jeans, ImageI was also lucky enough this year that my character for Friday will be in a sweatshirt, however i was a dodo and forgot to do my "retro" style Team Rocket in short sleeves with out thinking, but my dad helped me alot by asking me if i had a long black sleeved shirt i can wear. It's not exactly enough, but lucky for me my jacket is black....

that's just my costumes for the year i hope i could help....also drink lots of hot tea...and go to Starbucks as much as possible to keep warm
cosplays i have complete:
Rocket Member (myself as a team rocket member)
Yurio (yuri on ice)
Rinku (yu yu hakusho
Magi (aladdin Magnoshetot)

I am only so nice once your mean to me i will ignore you and pretend you don't exist: childish but effective