Small air tanks allowed?

You don't need to be in costume to post in this cosplay forum... but sometimes it helps.
PokeSteve
Getting the hang of this...

Small air tanks allowed?

Post by PokeSteve » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:59 am

I read the rules on the website and didn't see a mention of it, so I would assume they are ok. But given last years issues with props and cosplays I figured I'd ask here instead. I'm working on a Pokemon cosplay, Mega Charizard X. The plan is to have his wings open and close using pneumatics, so I'd need to keep a small air tank inside the cosplay for the actuators. Most likely I'd have my handler carry a spare one in her bag as well. Anyone know if the Hynes has a policy on these? FYI, the tanks are similar to those used for paintball guns, so they aren't huge but not really tiny.

snapelicious
AB Staff

Re: Small air tanks allowed?

Post by snapelicious » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:12 am

PokeSteve wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:59 am
I read the rules on the website and didn't see a mention of it, so I would assume they are ok. But given last years issues with props and cosplays I figured I'd ask here instead. I'm working on a Pokemon cosplay, Mega Charizard X. The plan is to have his wings open and close using pneumatics, so I'd need to keep a small air tank inside the cosplay for the actuators. Most likely I'd have my handler carry a spare one in her bag as well. Anyone know if the Hynes has a policy on these? FYI, the tanks are similar to those used for paintball guns, so they aren't huge but not really tiny.
I'm sorry for the delay on answering this, I've been looking for a definitive answer and, unfortunately I don't have one. While I don't see anything in the rules explicitly banning an air tank, we can't pre-approve any costume pieces before the con, and in the end, it seems it would be the convention center's security staff's final decision.
Cait Webber
Couples Game Coordinator
Match Game Asst. Coordinator
Cosplay Games Staff 2017

PokeSteve
Getting the hang of this...

Re: Small air tanks allowed?

Post by PokeSteve » Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:07 pm

Thanks for looking into it, I may just take the gamble and make it anyway. It'll be concealed, so nobody would see it, but I'm sure it'll come up when we pass through the security checkpoints.