Cosplay Repair Station 2017

You don't need to be in costume to post in this cosplay forum... but sometimes it helps.
sohopefully
AB Staff

Cosplay Repair Station 2017

Post by sohopefully » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:49 pm

Greetings, Anime Boston cosplay community members! I'm Hope, one of your Cosplay Games & Repair Station co-coordinators for 2017.

I'm here to talk about a scary reality of cosplay: no matter how hard we work, sometimes things happen to our costumes. Props? Break. Wardrobes? Malfunction. Wigs? Have a mind of their own. Every awful thing you imagine happening while you're working, every contingency that you prepare for, and all the things that you haven't even dreamed of in your worst nightmares can suddenly become reality. Sometimes at-con repairs are not only a nice option to have but are absolutely necessary.

Despair not, friends, because we have an answer for you! You can make your repairs at the convention. You will not need to run around the mall trying to find a solution to whatever your problems may be. Best of all, you won't be alone with your panic and frustration, because we have a Cosplay Repair Station that is staffed by a group of 6 friendly, competent, caring, and talented cosplayers with years of experience under their tool belts. (How many years, you may ask? Honestly, I don't know on a case-by-case basis, but combined? It's a pretty impressive number of years.)

Cosplay Repair is open to all cosplayers at Anime Boston. You do not need to be participating in Masquerade or Cosplay Games events in order to stop in and get help with whatever you need. So don't hesitate to stop by, say hi to the staff, and grab a bobby/safety pin. We'll update this post with the location of Cosplay Repair as soon as it is confirmed, so stay tuned.

We'd say the repair staff looks forward to seeing you, but hopefully they won't have to. But in the event that your costume needs some TLC, remember: Keep Calm and Carry Yourself to Cosplay Repair!
Hope Middleton
Cosplay Games Co-Coordinator - 2017
Masquerade Staff - 2016
Chibi Zone Coordinator - 2015

Selestyl
Veteran Poster

Re: Cosplay Repair Station 2017

Post by Selestyl » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:06 am

Y'all are amazing each year. I've not needed your services yet *KNOCKS ON WOOD AGGRESSIVELY* but I know of many who have been saved by you! So thank you for everything you do!
2017 Cosplays:
Ema Skye - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Spirit of Justice (partnered with husband, playing Datz Are'bal) - 100% complete!
Piccolo - Dragonball Z - 100% complete!!
Fem!Ignis - Final Fantasy XV - 100% complete!

sohopefully
AB Staff

Post by sohopefully » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:56 pm

Selestyl wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:06 am
Y'all are amazing each year. I've not needed your services yet *KNOCKS ON WOOD AGGRESSIVELY* but I know of many who have been saved by you! So thank you for everything you do!
Thank you so much for your high praise. And be sure to spread the word about Cosplay Repair to all the cosplayers going to the convention that you know. We'll be there for anyone who might need our services as long as we know about the issue! :)
Hope Middleton
Masquerade Staff - 2016

Victablook
Expert Poster

Post by Victablook » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:17 pm

bless, you guys saved my butt last year when my wig kept slipping off my damn head because of my thick-ass hair. knowing me, i'll be needing your services again in 2017.
ab 2013 - damara megido (homestuck)
ab 2014 - ramona flowers (scott pilgrim)
ab 2015 - matoi ryuko (kill la kill)
ab 2016 - nanami chiaki (super dangan ronpa 2)

ab 2017
friday: matoi ryuko (kill la kill)
saturday: morning/afternoon - matoi ryuko (kill la kill), evening - modern au!fenris (dragon age ii)
sunday: myself

ab 2018 plans
matoi ryuko (kill la kill), kobayashi kanna (miss kobayashi's dragon maid)

sohopefully
AB Staff

Post by sohopefully » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:30 pm

Vanner wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:17 pm
bless, you guys saved my butt last year when my wig kept slipping off my damn head because of my thick-ass hair. knowing me, i'll be needing your services again in 2017.
Hopefully you won't need to stop in for a cosplay emergency, but we'll be ready, willing, and able to help if you need us! :)
Hope Middleton
Masquerade Staff - 2016

FiretoIce
Expert Poster

Post by FiretoIce » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:29 am

What sort of things do you guys have there? I tend to over pack my emergency kit ...
2017 AB-
San
Boros
Ashiya

GratuitousChaos
AB Staff

Post by GratuitousChaos » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:25 pm

FiretoIce wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:29 am
What sort of things do you guys have there? I tend to over pack my emergency kit ...
A quick summary

We have a wide variety of sewing threads, needles, pins, and (praise Aizen) actual sewing machines. Some spare fabric scraps as well.

We have several forms of tape in a few different colors (electrical, duct, etc.)

We have hot glue and hot glue guns. Also other adhesives, both fast and slow drying.

We have minor support-worthy materials, for reinforcing minor prop damage at the very least, and fast drying paints for quick cover up.

We also have some various tools for make-up removal/application, mirrors, etc. We are currently looking into having certain minor make-up available, but we will have more details on that closer to the con.

We also have a wig styling station.

The biggest thing we will also have is, of course, space for the above and for you to be able to repair your costumes/props.

Quick bonus list of things we will not have:

a changing room
a large makeup palette
....and probably many other things we cannot fit in the station, as even though we have space, it is not in fact infinite....

If people have requests for items we can look into possibly obtaining for the station if we do not already have it, please note that we will be setting up a separate thread soon for that purpose. In the meantime, I hope this summary helps and if you have specific questions on individual tools/materials, feel free to ask.

Note that having your own kit for specific items you need isn't bad to have available, but the station may help at least in reducing the load you must bear (unless you of course are carrying the Crescent Rose scythe from RWBY, built to scale. In that case, almost nothing will lighten the load you bear, and may your repairs, as well as any back pains, be minor after the weekend) :cry:
Pat Sullivan, Vice-Commander, Cosplay Repair Station, Anime Boston

p_asagiri
I'm new!

Post by p_asagiri » Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:33 pm

Thanks for organizing this, and for the detailed info.
I'll leave the can of Barge cement at home.

Redwillowhearts
Experienced Poster

Post by Redwillowhearts » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:28 am

You guys definitely saved me last year! I was amazed by everything you guys had!
To my future self: you forgot to change your signature

cookiesweet
Expert Poster

Post by cookiesweet » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:06 pm

I too want to let you guys know how much I appreciate the time and effort you put into having this repair station for us! I cosplayed Belldandy last year and I spent so much time making my wings but I couldn't get them to stay up. However, a wonderful and amazingly sweet volunteer helped me tie them on with a stretchy elastic and she did such a great job that they stayed up the entire convention.Without her I wouldn't have been able to wear my wings so, a big, big, big thank you to all of you! :D
Anime Expo 2012 Chocolat from Sugar Sugar Rune
Anime Boston 2013 Sakura Kinomoto from CardCaptor Sakura
Anime Boston 2014 Kirakishou from Rozen Maiden

Anime Boston 2015 Nui Harime from Kill La Kill
Anime Boston 2016 Belldandy from Oh My Goddess and Amulet Heart from Shugo Chara
Anime Boston 2017 Sakura Kinomoto from CardCaptor and Belldandy from Oh My Goddess
Anime Boston 2018 Lala Deviluke from To Love-ru and Lum from Urusei Yastura