Masquerade 2016 video? and questions.

You don't need to be in costume to post in this cosplay forum... but sometimes it helps.
annacstephens519
I'm new!

Masquerade 2016 video? and questions.

Post by annacstephens519 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:50 pm

Hi all!
This is my first year going to AB I'm traveling all the way from Florida actually! This is my first time that I will do a solo skit and the first time competing at AB. My question being, does anyone have footage of last years masquerade? And is it even possible for solo skits to win? I know sometimes in other competitions solo skits are the big hit so I want to know if any solo skits have won in the past for just performance. Also are we allowed to do a costume change? I'm playing two characters for my guilty crown skit and need to do a costume change is that allowed? I know in past skit competitions its been allowed but idk about AB. Nothing would be revealed while changing obviously lmao! And are we allowed to have a fog machine? I saw on the rules that no fire or strobe lights are allowed but I'm not sure about fog machines. Sorry about all the questions, I know some might sound silly but help is appreciated!

Redwillowhearts
Experienced Poster

Re: Masquerade 2016 video? and questions.

Post by Redwillowhearts » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:33 pm

Hello!
I don't know how much help I'll be since we're actually in the same boat! This'll be my second solo skit (although my first one was a few years ago) and my first time competing at AB, however I think I can answer a few questions. It is possible for solo skits to win, however it's very difficult. I'm not sure how many solo skits have won performance wise in the past. Costume changes are allowed and I've seen it done plenty of times before. Fog machines are not allowed in the con.
I hope that helps!
To my future self: you forgot to change your signature

Nyuu
AB Staff

Re: Masquerade 2016 video? and questions.

Post by Nyuu » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:55 am

annacstephens519 wrote:Hi all!
This is my first year going to AB I'm traveling all the way from Florida actually! This is my first time that I will do a solo skit and the first time competing at AB. My question being, does anyone have footage of last years masquerade? And is it even possible for solo skits to win? I know sometimes in other competitions solo skits are the big hit so I want to know if any solo skits have won in the past for just performance. Also are we allowed to do a costume change? I'm playing two characters for my guilty crown skit and need to do a costume change is that allowed? I know in past skit competitions its been allowed but idk about AB. Nothing would be revealed while changing obviously lmao! And are we allowed to have a fog machine? I saw on the rules that no fire or strobe lights are allowed but I'm not sure about fog machines. Sorry about all the questions, I know some might sound silly but help is appreciated!
If you're entering as performance only, then yes, you're welcome do to that costume change. We'll work on rewording that rule for next year to clarify for everyone :D

Here is a link of the entire 2016 Masquerade and in 1080p HD at that!
Brian Belanger
Assistant Masquerade Coordinator 2016-18

Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination.
I will protect those who cannot protect themselves.
I will protect even those I hate, so long as it is right.

The Anime Boston Masquerade Staff Creed: "It's our job to panic so you don't have to."