Performance vs Craftsmanship?

You don't need to be in costume to post in this cosplay forum... but sometimes it helps.
Mgrace
I'm new!

Performance vs Craftsmanship?

Post by Mgrace » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:58 pm

Hello,

I recently submitted my application to the masquerade listed as a "Craftsmanship" entry, as I do not have any sort of skit to perform with a group.

However I am a bit perplexed by the entry options of "Exhibition" and "Crafsmanship/Performance" combination. Now truly, I am no stranger to masquerades but typically on the craftsmanship end, and I know AB is so well known for their killer skits.

I guess I wondered if someone who is not doing a skit and has just sewn their costume and wants to walk on, is qualified for any level of performance judging? While I might not have a script or a skit, I always work the 'performance' aspect of the walk-on, and wondered if AB judged the walkons for their 'performances,' and if there was something I should put in my application to indicate that while I am a craftsmanship entry, I am happy to be judged on my performance in costume should I qualify.

Forgive me if this is a foolish question, this is my first AB masquerade! I read the FAQ thoroughly but am still a little perplexed about the distinctions. Thank you!

Nyuu
AB Staff

Re: Performance vs Craftsmanship?

Post by Nyuu » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:11 am

Mgrace wrote: However I am a bit perplexed by the entry options of "Exhibition" and "Crafsmanship/Performance" combination. Now truly, I am no stranger to masquerades but typically on the craftsmanship end, and I know AB is so well known for their killer skits.
Exhibition slots are special performances like big dance or mock fight routines which are exactly that, exhibition only, and do not qualify for any awards at all.

As for the combination Craftsmanship/Performance, these are for folks who plan to both have a skit during the Masquerade and would also like to have their costumes judged as well (done so prior to the Masquerade).
Mgrace wrote: I guess I wondered if someone who is not doing a skit and has just sewn their costume and wants to walk on, is qualified for any level of performance judging? While I might not have a script or a skit, I always work the 'performance' aspect of the walk-on, and wondered if AB judged the walkons for their 'performances,' and if there was something I should put in my application to indicate that while I am a craftsmanship entry, I am happy to be judged on my performance in costume should I qualify.

Forgive me if this is a foolish question, this is my first AB masquerade! I read the FAQ thoroughly but am still a little perplexed about the distinctions. Thank you!
This is not a foolish question at all, and we're happy to clarify!

If you apply simply as Craftsmanship only, you are entering only to have your costume judged for a possible award. That being said though, if you do want to do a walk on during the Masquerade for the "Fashion Show" so everyone can see your great work, you have that option in your application. Although these walk ons aren't actually judged, you are more than welcome and encouraged to add some flair and "performance" to your walk on.

One other thing to keep in mind is that you don't necessarily have to do a "skit" to enter the Performance category as well. Some people in fact just do various kinds of dances and other types of presentations rather than played out stories and such.

Hopefully this helps clear up any confusion you may have about the different categories, and please let us know if we can be of any other help!
Brian Belanger
Assistant Masquerade Coordinator 2016-18

Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination.
I will protect those who cannot protect themselves.
I will protect even those I hate, so long as it is right.

The Anime Boston Masquerade Staff Creed: "It's our job to panic so you don't have to."