Cosplay Death Match 2017

You don't need to be in costume to post in this cosplay forum... but sometimes it helps.
Rhys Ifane
AB Staff

Cosplay Death Match 2017

Post by Rhys Ifane » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:23 am

It's that time of year again, children. The Cosplay Death Match will be making it's return to Anime Boston 2017!

What is the Cosplay Death Match? Well, we begin with dozens of test subjects who are all trying to win the crown of Death Match Champion. We will bring a pair of subjects up onto the stage. They will pose, flirt, flex, bribe, or anything else they can think of to win over the audience. Why the audience? That, my children, is because the audience will cheer or whichever individuals they want to win. The winner then get to eliminate the loser from the competition via combat on stage. Basically it is a popularity contest that ends in murd.... scien..... victory! The winners move on in a bracket style tournament, all for the enjoyment of the audience.

Now then, we will need some "willing" (per Anime Boston and the Commonwealth of Massachusetts I cannot drug anyone and drag them to my lab for experimentation) test subjects to participate in this annual bloodbath. Applications to all Cosplay Games Events are open from noon on January 1, 2017 through the end of February. Before applying, please read the below listed rules and guidelines set forth.

http://www.animeboston.com/cosplay/cosplay_faq/

:arrow: A reminder: Anime Boston is an anime convention that is part of the New England Anime Society (NEAS). As such, we can only accept applications from characters that originally hail from a japanese created media. That means we cannot accept anything from Batman, Stephen Universe, Avatar, Overwatch, etc. This is not my rule, but it is a very important rule that has consequences for the convention itself if I break it. I will not bend on this one thing.

Now then, if you would like to apply to the Cosplay Death Match or any other Cosplay Event at Anime Boston, please click on the link here :arrow: http://www.animeboston.com/cosplayhq/
You can even this year apply to be the host of one of our games!

There you will be able to compile your own cosplay profile for Anime Boston and apply to events in one very simple format. It's quite magnificent.

Oh, where are my manners? I almost forgot to introduce myself. I am Professor Stein. I am the Coordinator for the Death Match. I'll let that sink in for a moment. The forecast calls for murder, science, and chance of zombies. :twisted:

"But Professor Stein, what kind of experience do you have when it comes to an event like this?" Excellent question test subject #38. I personally have been a member of Anime Boston's staff for 4 years now and have regularly attended this convention since 2006, before becoming staff I had participated in Cosplay Chess and the Masquerade as well as the first Anime Boston Death Match (where I lost in the finals to a full armor chibi Alphonse Elric :roll: ), and I have assisted behind the scenes heavily on Anime Boston's Death Match, Chess, and After Dark Dating Game among others. I tell you this because I want you to know what to expect from this event that I love.

I look forward to seeing all of the wonderful cosplay that you can muster, children. I can't wait to dissect each and every one of you. I may sounds insane, but my screw isn't loose. I tighten it daily. ;)
David Burke
Cosplay Games Staff 2014-2017
Cosplay Death Match Coordinator

Ficus
AB Staff

Re: Cosplay Death Match 2017

Post by Ficus » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:34 am

A+ event description, Mr. Stein.
(Even if the only Lokis allowed now are the shrunk-into-a-child-to-play-detective kind. XP)
May your experiments be a success, as your predecessors before you.
And don’t forget to recycle the dead bodies once you’re done with them. Hall D starts to smell after a while when one leaves cadavers about.
Ashley Shaffer
Cosplay Photoshoot Wrangler- 2018

MomoMiraculous
I'm Special!

Post by MomoMiraculous » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:47 am

Out of curiosity, according to your rules, would new Voltron be considered? It's technically American made, but the original source material and characters are of Japanese origin.
Planned Cosplays for AB 2018
SPACE BABY!
Duo Maxwell-Gundam Wing
Pidge- Voltron
Uraraka or Deku- BNHA
Chat Noir- Miraculous Ladybug
Nora- RWBY
Adrien Agreste- Miraculous Ladybug

Rhys Ifane
AB Staff

Post by Rhys Ifane » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:06 pm

MomoKitty wrote:Out of curiosity, according to your rules, would new Voltron be considered? It's technically American made, but the original source material and characters are of Japanese origin.
As is the case sometimes, things like this fall into a gray area. As a result, I'll look into it before getting back to you. Generally when it comes to selecting applicants, we try to avoid gray areas because sometimes we make mistakes and overlook some small piece of information that is the deciding factor in classifying the material.

My advice is this: apply with whatever you want, but don't be surprised if we don't select something that falls into that area. Also, if you have other cosplays that we could definitely use, then apply with those as well.
David Burke

MomoMiraculous
I'm Special!

Post by MomoMiraculous » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:50 pm

Rhys Ifane wrote:
MomoKitty wrote:Out of curiosity, according to your rules, would new Voltron be considered? It's technically American made, but the original source material and characters are of Japanese origin.
As is the case sometimes, things like this fall into a gray area. As a result, I'll look into it before getting back to you. Generally when it comes to selecting applicants, we try to avoid gray areas because sometimes we make mistakes and overlook some small piece of information that is the deciding factor in classifying the material.

My advice is this: apply with whatever you want, but don't be surprised if we don't select something that falls into that area. Also, if you have other cosplays that we could definitely use, then apply with those as well.
No worries. I have other cosplays I intend on entering that are 100% eligible.
SPACE BABY!
Duo Maxwell-Gundam Wing
Pidge- Voltron
Uraraka or Deku- BNHA
Nora- RWBY

Victablook
Expert Poster

Post by Victablook » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:22 pm

time to try again since i didn't get in last year!! :> even if i don't, it'll be a blast to watch as it's always been.
ab 2013 - damara megido (homestuck)
ab 2014 - ramona flowers (scott pilgrim)
ab 2015 - matoi ryuko (kill la kill)
ab 2016 - nanami chiaki (super dangan ronpa 2)

ab 2017
friday, saturday morning/afternoon: matoi ryuko (kill la kill)
saturday evening: modern au!fenris (dragon age ii)
sunday: myself

ab 2018 plans
shiota nagisa (assassination classroom)

Arok2010
I'm new!

Post by Arok2010 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:23 pm

Even though I'm gonna be paying at the door, Luigi will be making his debut at Deathmatch: Anime Boston. i.e. Me dressed as Luigi.

Selestyl
Veteran Poster

Post by Selestyl » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:28 pm

Good luck to everyone entering!!
2018 Lineup:
Fem!Ignis, post-Altissa - Final Fantasy XV
[Potential] Ochako Uraraka - My Hero Academia
[Potential] Heine Wittgenstein - The Royal Tutor
[Fallback] Ema Skye - Ace Attorney: Spirit of Justice
[Fallback] Piccolo - DragonBall Z

Rhys Ifane
AB Staff

Post by Rhys Ifane » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:43 pm

ATTN: 49 more days until applications close and I get to start picking out who I want to be my test subjects.

I am currently, as of when I checked a few minutes ago, up to 29 applicants. I'm so happy for the great turnout thus far. I can't wait to tear into most of your corpses. :twisted:
David Burke

Selestyl
Veteran Poster

Post by Selestyl » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:18 pm

Hmmm...maybe we'll all need luck for a different reason.
2018 Lineup:

snapelicious
AB Staff

Post by snapelicious » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:48 pm

Easy, Patches, some of the rest of us wanna use these guys too.
Cait Webber
Couples Game Coordinator
Match Game Asst. Coordinator
Cosplay Games Staff 2017

Rhys Ifane
AB Staff

Post by Rhys Ifane » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:35 pm

snapelicious wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:48 pm
But my body supplier cut me off. I need my fix. :?
David Burke

sohopefully
AB Staff

Post by sohopefully » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:32 pm

Rhys Ifane wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:35 pm
snapelicious wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:48 pm
But my body supplier cut me off. I need my fix. :?
You could always use the heaping pile of last year's fallen that got put into storage...
Hope Middleton
Cosplay Games Coordinator - 2017-2018
Masquerade Staff - 2016
Chibi Zone Coordinator - 2015

Rhys Ifane
AB Staff

Post by Rhys Ifane » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:44 am

Reminder: Applications for all Cosplay Games events will be closing after one more very brief month. I am humbled by the outpouring or submissions thus far and I equally question your sanity. There will be blood, science, and maybe a few zombies.
David Burke

astromoth
Experienced Poster

Post by astromoth » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:29 pm

Hope to take part again! It's always a blast!
2013: Tsunade (Naruto Shippuden)
2014: Butler!Grell (Kuroshitsuji)
2015: Fem!Austria (Hetalia)
2016: Trisha Elric (Fullmetal Alchemist)
∞: Trisha Elric (Fullmetal Alchemist)

2016 DEATHMATCH CHAMPION

Rhys Ifane
AB Staff

Post by Rhys Ifane » Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:06 pm

One more thing to add as I look through the applications that have been submitted so far.

ATTN: If you are submitting an application where you are part of a group, and you list the other people in your group on your application, the rest of your group MUST ALSO APPLY in order to be considered. Only those who submit an application for themself will be considered.

If I approve you and you listed yourself as being a part of a group, and someone in your group does not apply, they will not be permitted to participate. I don't want to leave people out just because they didn't know that they had to apply.

This has been your friendly reminder. I don't want to have to keep people out by building a wall of security personnel and making Con Ops pay for it.
David Burke

Rhys Ifane
AB Staff

Post by Rhys Ifane » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:24 pm

Reminder: Applications close after next Tuesday. Be sure to get those applications in while the calendar still says "February". If you have people in your group that have not yet applied, be sure to poke them with a stick to see if they have zombified. If so, double tap. If not, continue poking until applications are sent. I will not accept applications submitted after the deadline, no matter how "fierce/on point/whatever the kids say these days" it is.

I can't wait to see what this year looks like. I may even have a happy surprise for you all.
David Burke

GoggleBoy
AB Staff

Post by GoggleBoy » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:20 pm

Don't worry. I'll help with all teh bodies (probably)
"He used to be a volleyball player like the rest, then he took a bullet to the knee." - Me, enjoying all the ensuing cringe that came afterwards.

Selestyl
Veteran Poster

Post by Selestyl » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:31 am

...that's not menacing at all. :shock:
2018 Lineup:

Rhys Ifane
AB Staff

Post by Rhys Ifane » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:24 am

UPDATE: This is the part where I would be informing you all that you have until the end of the day to get your applications in. However, being the benevolent people we are, the deadline has been extended. You now have until the end of Sunday March 5th to apply to all Cosplay Games events. So finish up those cosplays and get your applications submitted by the end of Sunday.
David Burke

Rhys Ifane
AB Staff

Post by Rhys Ifane » Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:44 pm

Today is the final day to apply for all Cosplay Games events at Anime Boston. If you are in a group, anyone in your group who does not apply will not be allowed to participate. Applications will be closing promptly at midnight. I will be selecting participants for Death Match this coming week. Thank you to all who have applied thus far. It's almost time to make the science happen.
David Burke

Rhys Ifane
AB Staff

Post by Rhys Ifane » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:09 am

The deadline for submitting applications has come and passed. Thank you to the 103 different individuals who applied to be my test subjects for science. My assistant and I will be going over the applications this week and selecting both our 1st choice participants, as well as those for the Waitlist. I am going to accept as many eligible applicants as I can, while ensuring the quality of the show I put forth is as great as it can be. I personally have a busy week ahead of me, so if you do not hear from me right away, please be patient. Adieu!
David Burke

Rhys Ifane
AB Staff

Post by Rhys Ifane » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:40 pm

I have just finished making my decisions for who is being accepted/waitlisted/declined for Death Match. I will be sending out emails in the next couple days to everyone who applied. I will say ahead of time that there were several people who did not apply as a group, but due to people applying as characters from the same series, I group people together in order to accept more people. As a result my 32 entries consist of 14 groups and 18 individuals. I also have 7 entries waitlisted. Thank you again to everyone who applied.
David Burke

Rhys Ifane
AB Staff

Post by Rhys Ifane » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:09 am

I have just finished submitting emails to every single one of the 103 applicants who applied for Death Match telling you if you were approved, waitlisted, or declined. If you applied, go check your email that you listed in your application.
David Burke

WaterDragon
I'm new!

Post by WaterDragon » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:16 pm

Hi i have a question. if i am in a group will i know invalidly or wait until, the person that put i me in a group to say if I am in the Death Match or not.

Rhys Ifane
AB Staff

Post by Rhys Ifane » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:42 pm

WaterDragon wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:16 pm
Hi i have a question. if i am in a group will i know invalidly or wait until, the person that put i me in a group to say if I am in the Death Match or not.
I have emailed every single person who applied. If you applied, there should be an email from me sent to the email address provided when you applied.
David Burke

Nenie
Determined Poster

Post by Nenie » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:18 pm

Is it possible to request a specific song to play when your cosplay character is first introduced?
AB07 Aya from Super Gals
AB08 Bouquet from Blue Dragon & Kairi from KH2
AB09 Dawn from Pokemon Diamond and Pearl
AB10 Pan from Dragon Ball GT
AB11 Mio Akiyama from K-On!
AB12 Talim from Soul Calibur 2
AB13 Utena from Revolutionary Girl Utena
AB14 Rico Brzenska from Attack on Titan & Terra from Teen Titans
AB15 Rico Brzenska from Attack on Titan & Utena from Revolutionary Girl Utena
AB16 Casey from Pokemon
AB17 Kiyone from Tenchi Muyo & Pokemon Go Trainer
AB18 Team Skull Grunt

Rhys Ifane
AB Staff

Post by Rhys Ifane » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:53 pm

Nenie wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:18 pm
Is it possible to request a specific song to play when your cosplay character is first introduced?
Possibly, though things like that I'm not going to discuss for the time being simply because things are still in an early phase. The next email I send out to participants will contain things such as that.
David Burke

papertoadette
AB Staff

Post by papertoadette » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:22 pm

When are people expected to get the next email?

For scientific purposes.

Michelle Light
Junior Tech Staff 2015-2017 (Back again for another Season!)
Super Friendly and Joyful Person Most Likely Lives off of Caffeine!

Cosplays I Wore at AB 2017
Officer Jenny (Pokemon, DeathMatch)
Seras Victoria (Hellsing Ultimate, ChessMatch) #yurigoticed

Rhys Ifane
AB Staff

Post by Rhys Ifane » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:06 pm

This week. I have just 2 people remaining who have not responded to my initial email yet and I also don't have a confirmed event schedule. If either of those happen or it gets to the end of the week, that email will go out.
David Burke

Animelover995
Veteran Poster

Post by Animelover995 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:22 pm

Hello, I wanted to know the time of the death match. We need to be there 45 min before correct? I need to know times so I am able to build my schedule around it. Thank you!!
Anime Boston 2018(Pending)- Lavi Bookman, General Hux, Christophe Giacomette
Anime Boston 2017- Guren Ichinose, Lavi Bookman, Yuri Katsuki, Kakashi Hatake(Gaiden), Shizuo Heiwajima
Anime Boston 2016- Lavi Bookman, Izaya, Kakashi Young, Allen Walker
Anime Boston 2015- Allen Walker, Kirito, Asuna
Anime Boston 2013- Tenten

Rhys Ifane
AB Staff

Post by Rhys Ifane » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:08 am

Animelover995 wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:22 pm
Hello, I wanted to know the time of the death match. We need to be there 45 min before correct? I need to know times so I am able to build my schedule around it. Thank you!!
I haven't myself received the confirmed schedule for events at the convention yet, so I can't say for sure. Generally speaking it takes place between noon and 2pm on Friday and lasts about 2 hours. Once I have gotten a confirmed schedule, I'll be sending out emails to all of my participants explaining what time you are needed.
David Burke

Animelover995
Veteran Poster

Post by Animelover995 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:48 am

Rhys Ifane wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:08 am
I haven't myself received the confirmed schedule for events at the convention yet, so I can't say for sure. Generally speaking it takes place between noon and 2pm on Friday and lasts about 2 hours. Once I have gotten a confirmed schedule, I'll be sending out emails to all of my participants explaining what time you are needed.
Alright, thank you!
Anime Boston 2018(Pending)- Lavi Bookman, General Hux, Christophe Giacomette
Anime Boston 2017- Guren Ichinose, Lavi Bookman, Yuri Katsuki, Kakashi Hatake(Gaiden), Shizuo Heiwajima
Anime Boston 2016- Lavi Bookman, Izaya, Kakashi Young, Allen Walker
Anime Boston 2015- Allen Walker, Kirito, Asuna
Anime Boston 2013- Tenten

Rhys Ifane
AB Staff

Post by Rhys Ifane » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:32 pm

Next batch of emails for confirmed participants has been sent out. Waitlisted individuals will be receiving an email shortly saying which cosplay was chosen.
David Burke

MomoMiraculous
I'm Special!

Post by MomoMiraculous » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:58 pm

Rhys Ifane wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:32 pm
Next batch of emails for confirmed participants has been sent out. Waitlisted individuals will be receiving an email shortly saying which cosplay was chosen.
When are the waitlisted people supposed to get the emails?
Also, if we're waitlisted, do we still check in with Cosplay Games HQ before the event,
SPACE BABY!
Duo Maxwell-Gundam Wing
Pidge- Voltron
Uraraka or Deku- BNHA
Nora- RWBY

Fetch
Show-off

Post by Fetch » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:16 am

I do sometimes wish the Death Match was decided by show of hands.
Why? Because then I could maybe watch the whole thing.
Every year, I've had to go early due to it feeling like I was standing inside an explosion.
Hall D does too good of a job at being a sonic wave amplification chamber.

Rhys Ifane
AB Staff

Post by Rhys Ifane » Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:05 am

MomoKitty wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:58 pm
Rhys Ifane wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:32 pm
When are the waitlisted people supposed to get the emails?
Also, if we're waitlisted, do we still check in with Cosplay Games HQ before the event,
I'll be sending them out today (Saturday).
David Burke

Rhys Ifane
AB Staff

Post by Rhys Ifane » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:31 pm

That feeling when you stop by Hall D to check things out and suddenly are reminded of how big the room is.
David Burke

Rhys Ifane
AB Staff

Post by Rhys Ifane » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:54 pm

Now that the convention is over and I am finally home, I just wanted to give a huge shout out to my participants for the Death Match, my host, and everyone who worked behind the scenes to help make it what it was this year. I was really nervous going into coordinating my first event and you all were on top of your game. You made it easier for me to focus on the things I needed to do in order to put forth the best 2 hours that I could for those in attendance. I learned a lot about what I can do in the future to make it an even better event that runs more smoothly. Hearing the cheers from everyone as the event progresses is the reason that I get so excited for kicking off the weekend this way. I've personally had a lot going on in my life over the past year, but thanks to all of you, I was able to smile for two really incredible hours on a Friday in my favorite city. I hope I was able to do the same for everyone who helped and those that attended. Thank you.
David Burke

Victablook
Expert Poster

Post by Victablook » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:05 am

Rhys Ifane wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:54 pm
Now that the convention is over and I am finally home, I just wanted to give a huge shout out to my participants for the Death Match, my host, and everyone who worked behind the scenes to help make it what it was this year. I was really nervous going into coordinating my first event and you all were on top of your game. You made it easier for me to focus on the things I needed to do in order to put forth the best 2 hours that I could for those in attendance. I learned a lot about what I can do in the future to make it an even better event that runs more smoothly. Hearing the cheers from everyone as the event progresses is the reason that I get so excited for kicking off the weekend this way. I've personally had a lot going on in my life over the past year, but thanks to all of you, I was able to smile for two really incredible hours on a Friday in my favorite city. I hope I was able to do the same for everyone who helped and those that attended. Thank you.
it was an incredibly fun death match to be in! thank you for all your hard work!
ab 2013 - damara megido (homestuck)
ab 2014 - ramona flowers (scott pilgrim)
ab 2015 - matoi ryuko (kill la kill)
ab 2016 - nanami chiaki (super dangan ronpa 2)

ab 2017
friday, saturday morning/afternoon: matoi ryuko (kill la kill)
saturday evening: modern au!fenris (dragon age ii)
sunday: myself

ab 2018 plans
shiota nagisa (assassination classroom)

LadyBlackRose
Getting the hang of this...

Post by LadyBlackRose » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:29 am

Did anyone post any good video coverage of the deathmatch :?:
~LadyBlackRose

Nenie
Determined Poster