How to host?

You don't need to be in costume to post in this cosplay forum... but sometimes it helps.
LawlietShinigami
Getting the hang of this...

How to host?

Post by LawlietShinigami » Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:28 pm

I am wondering how one signs up to act as a host for cosplay events. I am slowly gaining more experience and confidence as I attend more and more events as a panelist, but I am thinking of eventually trying my hand at co-hosting actual panels. My panels haven't been accepted at Anime Boston, as I was recently informed that Anime Boston is now only selecting educational panels instead of ask panels, but I am hoping to eventually be accepted for one of my panels next year.

I suppose what I am asking is, what advice is there for tips on submitting panels, and advice on how to become a co-host for con panels like the Death Match and Dating Games?
Blood is red, Tears are blue.
I am Tsundere, I'm coming for you.

Cosplay plans AB2014:
Ciel; Sasuke; L; Matt; China(APH); Hikaru(OHSHC); Shizuo(Durarara); Other(works in progress cosplays)

Ficus
AB Staff

Re: How to host?

Post by Ficus » Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:04 pm

You can get advice for general panels at Anime Boston over on the Panel and Workshop Programming sub-forum: viewforum.php?f=4

For Cosplay Games at Anime Boston like Death Match and Dating Game, the Hosts can be Staff members that have organized the whole event, or volunteers from previous years. The Staff like working with people that have participated in the games for many years, have shown the Staff what they can do, and are willing to put in time before the con to help out: people they trust to run a show seen by hundreds of people.

So if you want to eventually host at Anime Boston, then I suggest first applying to be in one (or a few) of the cosplay games this year as a participant. See what it's like behind the stage, and how things work at the events. Staff are always looking for more good people that can help make the con awesome, and put on a great show for everyone.
Ashley Shaffer
Cosplay Photoshoot Wrangler- 2018

sohopefully
AB Staff

Post by sohopefully » Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:48 pm

LawlietShinigami wrote:I am wondering how one signs up to act as a host for cosplay events. I am slowly gaining more experience and confidence as I attend more and more events as a panelist, but I am thinking of eventually trying my hand at co-hosting actual panels. My panels haven't been accepted at Anime Boston, as I was recently informed that Anime Boston is now only selecting educational panels instead of ask panels, but I am hoping to eventually be accepted for one of my panels next year.

I suppose what I am asking is, what advice is there for tips on submitting panels, and advice on how to become a co-host for con panels like the Death Match and Dating Games?
Hello!

We are excited to announce that this year we actually have a special application for people interested in being hosts.

You can apply through Cosplay HQ just as you would for any of the Cosplay Games. Hosts can either be in cosplay (Japanese media only, please!) or a host personality, and you can choose which games you would like to host--or all of them. Any host for a game will be selected by that event's coordinator.

Applications for hosts and all games close on February 28.

If you have any addtional questions, please feel free to contact myself or Brian, my Co-Coordinator.

We look forward to hopefully seeing your host application!
Hope Middleton
Cosplay Games Coordinator - 2017-2018
Masquerade Staff - 2016
Chibi Zone Coordinator - 2015

LawlietShinigami
Getting the hang of this...

Post by LawlietShinigami » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:38 pm

Thank you so much! I actually just finished applying!
Blood is red, Tears are blue.
I am Tsundere, I'm coming for you.

Cosplay plans AB2014:
Ciel; Sasuke; L; Matt; China(APH); Hikaru(OHSHC); Shizuo(Durarara); Other(works in progress cosplays)