Can RWBY characters apply for cosplay games?

You don't need to be in costume to post in this cosplay forum... but sometimes it helps.
runawaysorcery
Getting the hang of this...

Can RWBY characters apply for cosplay games?

Post by runawaysorcery » Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:10 pm

Hi I have a question as to whether RWBY characters are automatically disqualified from apply to cosplay games?
http://www.animeboston.com/cosplay/cosplay_games/
Cosplay Games General Rules (regardless of event)
Anime Boston is a Japanese Animation convention, so all costumes must be based on Anime, Manga, Japanese-origin video games, or Japanese live action productions based on Anime or Manga (such as Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, NANA or Cutey Honey.) If the series and/or character originated anywhere other than Japan, it doesn't qualify.(Examples of characters which would be disallowed despite having anime adaptations are: Iron Man, Supernatural, and any Disney characters involved in the Kingdom Hearts franchise. (Japanese adaptations of material within the public domain are permitted - such as Les Miserables: Shojo Cosette, Gankutsuou, or Romeo X Juliet.)
I know that RWBY is not from Japan but a few years back (maybe 2013 or 2014) Korra from The Legend of Korra and Toph from Avatar were in cosplay games like Dating, Deathmatch and Chess. The Avatar series is extremely popular and inspired by Asian cultures but not actually from Japan. Toph and Korra are fan favorites that made awesome additions to the games they participated in.

I think that RWBY is in a similar boat as it is heavily influenced and inspired by anime and using an anime art style.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.co.uk/inter ... pan/.77670
A local Japanese dub is being developed by Warner Bros. Home Entertainment Japan, with plans for release on Blu-ray and DVD in 2015, marking the first time an American-produced anime-inspired series has been marketed in Japan.
However I also understand that RWBY may instead be in the same boat as Kindom Hearts.

Would it be ok to apply to cosplay games as RWBY characters or will they be immediately rejected?

Thank you for your consideration
AB2016 Line-Up:
Friday: Lightning Farron with Oerba Yun Fang in the Deathmatch!
Saturday: Weiss Schnee
Sunday: Danny Vasquez

All my cosplays: Weiss Schnee, Lightning Farron, Cassandra Pentaghast, Danny Vasquez, Izana Shinatose, Asami Sato, Inquisitor Lavellan, Avatar Korra, Ramona Flowers

Kiarrens
The Lone Mod

Re: Can RWBY characters apply for cosplay games?

Post by Kiarrens » Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:47 am

Avatar characters were included in Cosplay Games back before the blanket rule that you quoted was instated. We used to allow a couple characters in per game (at the coordinator's discretion), but AB as a whole took a stand a few years ago when it came to programming and non-Japanese source material (this includes things like panels and the AMVs).
No non-Japanese characters are allowed into official AB programming now (with the small exception of the Masquerade, in which skits may have one or two non-anime characters as long as the MAJORITY of the characters were created in Japan).

So, your RWBY cosplay (while welcome at the convention, and we would love to see it!) is unfortunately not acceptable for cosplay games.
Lyndsey Zusi
Assistant Director of Programming - Cosplay Divison 2019
Masquerade Coordinator 2015 - 2019
Assistant Masquerade Coordinator 2013 - 2014
Cosplay Chess Coordinator 2009 -2014
Attendee 2003 - 2009

The Anime Boston Masquerade Staff Creed: "It's our job to panic so you don't have to."

runawaysorcery
Getting the hang of this...

Re: Can RWBY characters apply for cosplay games?

Post by runawaysorcery » Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:03 pm

That makes a lot of sense. Thank you for your quick reply.

(My friend and I will try to apply with our FFXIII characters instead and wear our RWBY characters on other days)
AB2016 Line-Up:
Friday: Lightning Farron with Oerba Yun Fang in the Deathmatch!
Saturday: Weiss Schnee
Sunday: Danny Vasquez

All my cosplays: Weiss Schnee, Lightning Farron, Cassandra Pentaghast, Danny Vasquez, Izana Shinatose, Asami Sato, Inquisitor Lavellan, Avatar Korra, Ramona Flowers