Hall Cosplay Contest Guidelines????

You don't need to be in costume to post in this cosplay forum... but sometimes it helps.
tallonwolf
Getting the hang of this...

Hall Cosplay Contest Guidelines????

Post by tallonwolf » Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:49 pm

I was thinking of wanting to finally enter the Hall Cosplay Contest for 2016, but I could not find any past judging guidelines to get an idea of what to expect. Like what would be acceptable or not? If I put together an outfit, does all the pieces of clothing have to be made by yourself or could it be possible to make a coat, vest, hat, ect... but you bought the pants or shirt at a store.

AlbinoShadow
Expert Poster

Re: Hall Cosplay Contest Guidelines????

Post by AlbinoShadow » Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:35 pm

I've been in the Hall cosplay contest twice and the regular masquerade once...I don't remember any rules saying you have to make absolutely everything yourself, though obviously it should be mostly self-made.

For my own part I purchase basics like shoes and gloves and things like that. Generally I think it's acceptable to purchase basic garments that would be more trouble than they are worth to make: shirts, tank tops, tights, jeans, etc. Depending on what division you enter, though, the expectations may be higher. That is to say, you may get extra points if you demonstrate that you can make a pair of pants (flys are difficult!). The trade-off may be that the garment is actually more expensive to make by hand than it is to buy, and in that case you have to weigh the pros and the cons, decide what your competition goals are, and make a decision based on that.
AlbinoShadow Cosplay on Facebook
Cosplay Blog

When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before.

ksmurf
AB Staff

Post by ksmurf » Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:39 pm

I have also participated in Hall Cosplay and Masquerade for craftsmanship judging. I'm pretty sure the rules have been pretty consistent, but you should check when the information for 2016 goes up.

"Found item" costumes were okay, where you assemble items from stores (e.g. pants, shoes). I don't think there was a limit to how many of the items can be found vs. made.

In the past, one or two minor components of the costumes were permitted to be professional purchased, but you had to notify the staff ahead of time and the judges would not consider them as part of the judging.

If the costume was made by a friend or relative who is not in the group, this was allowed as long as the friend/relative was not a professional tailor/seamstress/costume maker.
Alison Bird
AB Cosplay Games Coordinator 2019
AB Cosplay Games Technical Coordinator 2016-2018
Attendee: Anime Boston 2004-2015

ABCosGames - Putting the play in Cosplay!

AlbinoShadow
Expert Poster

Post by AlbinoShadow » Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:05 pm

ksmurf wrote:I have also participated in Hall Cosplay and Masquerade for craftsmanship judging. I'm pretty sure the rules have been pretty consistent, but you should check when the information for 2016 goes up.

"Found item" costumes were okay, where you assemble items from stores (e.g. pants, shoes). I don't think there was a limit to how many of the items can be found vs. made.

In the past, one or two minor components of the costumes were permitted to be professional purchased, but you had to notify the staff ahead of time and the judges would not consider them as part of the judging.

If the costume was made by a friend or relative who is not in the group, this was allowed as long as the friend/relative was not a professional tailor/seamstress/costume maker.
You remember a lot better than I do x3

For craftsmanship judging, though, which is the only kind of judging available in the Hall Cosplay Contest, were found-item-only cosplays okay?
AlbinoShadow Cosplay on Facebook
Cosplay Blog

When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before.

ksmurf
AB Staff

Post by ksmurf » Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:18 pm

You remember a lot better than I do x3
Ah, well I actually have historical copies of the Masquerade and Hall Cosplay rules saved on my computer for reference during the off months before new rules are posted. So...yeah. ^_^;;
For craftsmanship judging, though, which is the only kind of judging available in the Hall Cosplay Contest, were found-item-only cosplays okay?
Unfortunately, I don't have the most recent set of rules from the combined Masquerade. The information I posted above is actually from Hall Cosplay rules circa 2012 or 2013. Those will have changed slightly since then, but the essence is the same: costumes should be home made, "found item costumes" are allowed, where 'found item costume' is defined as:
a costume that was built by collecting various pieces from normal clothing stores and combining them or altering them in a unique way, with or without sewing.
Either way, if you're not sure, you can always as the Masquerade coordinator whether something would be eligible for craftsmanship judging.
Alison Bird

tallonwolf

Post by tallonwolf » Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:37 am

Thank you for the replies. I think the only pieces of the outfit bought are the blouse, pants, and boots. I'm going to be cosplaying Evie Frye from the newest Assassin's Creed Game. Her green outfit. I have dabbled in some embroidery work when making cosplays for friends and family, so I have already started on the Assassin log that's on the back of her cape. ---I tend to make really awesome cosplays and people keep suggesting for me to enter the cosplay contest, but by the time I'm done making everyone's cosplays and starting work on my own the slots for the contest are already full.

ksmurf
AB Staff

Post by ksmurf » Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:46 pm

I'm going to be cosplaying Evie Frye from the newest Assassin's Creed Game
Anime Boston Masquerade/Hall Cosplay has only allowed costumes from properties that originate from Japan (e.g. anime, manga, Japanese video game makers). Assassin's Creed is made by Ubisoft, which is a French company.

I know that there are exceptions, but these are at the discretion of the Masquerade coordinator.

The Masquerade permits a "western-origin" costume as long as most of the other costumes are Japanese and the focus of the skit is on the Japanese characters. Like Superman coming into a skit to do a small gag.
I am not sure if the same applies to craftsmanship-only entries.

There are also gray areas like the Disney characters that appear in the Kingdom Hearts franchise.

Chances are these rules aren't going to change, but I would check with the Masquerade coordinator to see if your costume is eligible for judging.
Alison Bird

tallonwolf

Post by tallonwolf » Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:00 pm

Oh... That doesn't seem quite fair.

ksmurf
AB Staff

Post by ksmurf » Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:41 pm

This is a stance that Anime Boston has with all of its programming whether that's guests, panels, cosplay games, AMV contest, or Masquerade/Hall Cosplay. Anime Boston is focused on anime, manga, and Japanese culture.

There have been exceptions, but those exceptions have been at the discretion of the staff members coordinating the particular event.

For all the years I've been attending Anime Boston, I can say that Anime Boston is extremely welcoming of fans of all manner of fandom. But the main focus of the convention is on Japanese culture.

You can always contact the Masquerade coordinator to see if you can compete.

And who knows, maybe they'll change the rules?
Alison Bird

Nyuu
AB Staff

Post by Nyuu » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:37 am

Thanks so much for your interest in participating in Hall Cosplay for next year! I just wanted to give a quick heads up that the official rules/information for 2016 should be getting posted in the near future. Keep an eye out for the announcement, and we look forward to seeing you!
Brian Magnant
Assistant Masquerade Coordinator 2016-19

Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination.
I will protect those who cannot protect themselves.
I will protect even those I hate, so long as it is right.

The Anime Boston Masquerade Staff Creed: "It's our job to panic so you don't have to."

Kiarrens
The Lone Mod

Post by Kiarrens » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:08 pm

ksmurf's replies are almost 100% on the money. Sadly we cannot allow Assassin's Creed cosplays to compete (although please PLEASE stop by Masquerade HQ because I adore AC and would love to see your cosplay).
Lyndsey Zusi
Assistant Director of Programming - Cosplay Divison 2019
Masquerade Coordinator 2015 - 2019
Assistant Masquerade Coordinator 2013 - 2014
Cosplay Chess Coordinator 2009 -2014
Attendee 2003 - 2009

The Anime Boston Masquerade Staff Creed: "It's our job to panic so you don't have to."

lol_ita
I'm new!

Post by lol_ita » Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:28 pm

ksmurf wrote: Anime Boston Masquerade/Hall Cosplay has only allowed costumes from properties that originate from Japan (e.g. anime, manga, Japanese video game makers). Assassin's Creed is made by Ubisoft, which is a French company.

I know that there are exceptions, but these are at the discretion of the Masquerade coordinator.

The Masquerade permits a "western-origin" costume as long as most of the other costumes are Japanese and the focus of the skit is on the Japanese characters. Like Superman coming into a skit to do a small gag.
I am not sure if the same applies to craftsmanship-only entries.

There are also gray areas like the Disney characters that appear in the Kingdom Hearts franchise.

Chances are these rules aren't going to change, but I would check with the Masquerade coordinator to see if your costume is eligible for judging.
hello all I am new to the forums ;o basically I am in the process of making my first cosplay! (I've cosplayed before, but everything was bought- this time I'm sewing my dress and crafting my accessories etc) I'm looking to attend 2 conventions in 2016 for the Hall Cosplay (craftsmanship) contests- not masquerade, and was thinking of going to Anime Boston in the spring but I just read this and I am a little concerned.

My costume would be that of Sally from Disney's Nightmare Before Christmas, but she can also be seen in the town of Halloween Town in Square Enix's video game series Kingdom Hearts- basically does this make her an acceptable character for entry into the Hall Cosplay contest? or :oops:

Nyuu
AB Staff

Post by Nyuu » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:04 am

lol_ita wrote:My costume would be that of Sally from Disney's Nightmare Before Christmas, but she can also be seen in the town of Halloween Town in Square Enix's video game series Kingdom Hearts- basically does this make her an acceptable character for entry into the Hall Cosplay contest? or :oops:
Welcome, lol_ita, and congrats on making your first cosplay! As wonderful as Sally is, she unfortunately is not applicable to compete. It sounds like you're going to put a lot of love and work into her though, I hope to see it!
Brian Magnant

MamaIgnis03

Post by MamaIgnis03 » Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:21 pm

I want to sign up for the hall cosplay contest. where do I go to sign up?

Kiarrens
The Lone Mod

Post by Kiarrens » Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:11 pm

Misastar wrote:I want to sign up for the hall cosplay contest. where do I go to sign up?
Sign into the Cosplay HQ and select "Masquerade," then choose to compete as "Craftsmanship Only."
Lyndsey Zusi
Attendee 2003 - 2009

emeraldsakura711
Experienced Poster

Post by emeraldsakura711 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:25 pm

I actually have a question about the hall cosplay. Can the cosplay be a genderbend of an anime character?

Nyuu
AB Staff

Post by Nyuu » Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:28 pm

Genderbend of an anime character is acceptable, just be sure to have proper reference of the original available.
Brian Magnant

tmliza
Expert Poster

Post by tmliza » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:40 am

Quick question, when do we find out if we have a judging slot or not?

Kiarrens
The Lone Mod

Post by Kiarrens » Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:27 am

tmliza wrote:Quick question, when do we find out if we have a judging slot or not?
As soon as all of the waitlist slots are filled, which should be any day now.
Lyndsey Zusi
Attendee 2003 - 2009

chocobobutt
Experienced Poster

Post by chocobobutt » Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:23 am

So my Pyrrha from Rwby cosplay will not be allowed to be entered into the hall cosplay either? It is getting a japanese dub.
Anime Boston Lineup:

Cadet cloud strife (Fri)
Pyrrha Nikos (Saturday)
Hinata Hyuuga (Sunday)

Night time attire:
Fem Cloud or Pyrrha's Red Dress

Check out my work here:https://www.facebook.com/Chocobobutt/

Nyuu
AB Staff

Post by Nyuu » Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:30 am

chocobobutt wrote:So my Pyrrha from Rwby cosplay will not be allowed to be entered into the hall cosplay either? It is getting a japanese dub.
Unfortunately, that does not change the fact that it did not originate in Japan.
Brian Magnant

chocobobutt
Experienced Poster

Post by chocobobutt » Sun Mar 13, 2016 2:31 pm

Nyuu wrote:
chocobobutt wrote:So my Pyrrha from Rwby cosplay will not be allowed to be entered into the hall cosplay either? It is getting a japanese dub.
Unfortunately, that does not change the fact that it did not originate in Japan.

Darn, I worked so hard on it too and made my first armor for it. Well, looks like Pyrrha won't be going to this contest. I'll bring her to others then.
Anime Boston Lineup:

Cadet cloud strife (Fri)
Pyrrha Nikos (Saturday)
Hinata Hyuuga (Sunday)

Night time attire:
Fem Cloud or Pyrrha's Red Dress

Check out my work here:https://www.facebook.com/Chocobobutt/