Lessons Learned at AB2024

This forum is for sharing photos, videos, reports, and finding people from Anime Boston 2024.

Moderators: Nyuu, MandaTifa

Penti
Experienced Poster

Lessons Learned at AB2024

Post by Penti »

I figured I might as well get the ball rolling on this, since I have a few things I learned this past con:
  • When you buy a manga, don't wait an entire year to get around to reading it, just in case you end up with a misprinted copy. I had bought a volume of the Pokémon manga during AB 2023, and didn't get around to reading it until this past January, when I found it was a misprint.
  • Be more mindful of the money spent in the dealer's room. I quickly blew my entire budget of spending money on the first day.
  • If you have to commute in, try to not stay up too late, so you don't end up scrambling in the morning, panicking to get to the convention center, only to miss out on the cosplay meetup you wanted to attend.
  • On a related note, SpotHero is a godsend for last-minute parking reservations.
  • If the restaurants in the Pru are too busy for your liking, don't be afraid to venture outside. I went to the Dunks on Boylston St; not only a shorter wait for my food, but I also got some fresh air in the process.
Attended AB: 2017, 2019, 2022-present
Master of NERV
Dedicated Poster

Re: Lessons Learned at AB2024

Post by Master of NERV »

• Don't forget the eyeglass chain! Constantly having to take reading glasses on and off was a pain.
  • Don't wait too long to get into lines. Missed three panels because rooms were at capacity. Fortunately, there was usually somewhere interesting I could go to.
  • I way overstocked on food in 2023, and dragged half of it home. This year, got it just right. Now, need to remember how.
  • Considered going home Sunday morning because I was so wiped (cons aren't designed for boomers like me! :lol:). Took a hot shower and had a hot breakfast (thank god for a traveling water kettle, instant oatmeal with raisins and nuts, and cocoa), which gave me enough energy to power through till 2:00 pm. Saw two good panels before leaving.
AB 2003-2023 -- pre-reged for 2024!
2006, '12, '13: Commander Ikari (Evangelion)
2007: Dr. Akai (Maburaho)
Kazutoification
Getting the hang of this...

Post by Kazutoification »

I learned:
  • that I should probably have a rough outline of what I want to do in a day. Just because the convention opens 8 in the morning does not necessarily mean that I should be there at 8. If I really want to do karaoke, then I should be there as soon as it opens, otherwise the queue gets to be roughly 20-45 minutes long (an average song takes 3-ish minutes, and it's not unreasonable to expect 6 people to always be in the queue).
  • that some people apparently forget all of the rules of walking in shared spaces as soon as they get to a convention... Since that's the case, I learned I have to be very much aware of the people around me, as well as the flow of traffic (helpful walking through the halls, since people also take pictures!). Like in Artists' Alley or Dealer's Room. Look: Walk as close to the right side as you can, but leave enough room for people who want to step towards a booth to look more closely at it. You shouldn't cross-over and walk against traffic to get to a booth. You should walk past it and make a U-turn so you can naturally approach it.
  • that bringing cash will dramatically shorten a lot of the lines at booths. It takes a lot less time for someone to accept cash and give change than it does for them to pull out their card payment device, type in the cost, you get your card scanned, you confirm the cost, you give a tip, and so on.
  • to bring a water bottle. I forgot mine on Sunday! Luckily, there are water coolers and water fountains.
  • that it's okay to just turn to the person next to me or around me to ask questions. I got a lot of help from more experienced Magic: The Gathering players when I played my first booster draft tournament on Sunday.
  • that friendships can be incredibly serendipitous. I did not expect to make so many friends! Though, I did have to put myself out there, despite being kinda shy. I've been learning to take little steps to be more social and sociable.
  • to pace myself and take breaks. This is especially true when attending a charity ball events. While it's very tempting to dance for every song, it's probably better to dance one song, sit out for the following three, and then dance again. Dancing is extremely tiring, jeez! Last year, I think my legs turned into jelly. And this lesson also applies to the convention in general. I definitely get my steps in, and I prefer not to be sore on Monday.
cpettigr
I'm new!

Post by cpettigr »

This was my second Anime Boston and I had a lot of fun! So much fun that I'm commuting to work right now and feel so blah lol

Here's what I learned:

1) Glass containers are so heavy?! Like I had made onigiri to not spend money on lunch/dinner but carrying it around all day and eating so much of it was a mistake lol. Basically I threw the rest out and got lunch from a grocery store next to the venue

2) I need to get up 30 minutes earlier than I initially think I need to lol

3) Coat check is an added expense but it's so nice to not have to carry a coat around and it makes me less sweaty
soulshipping
Expert Poster

Post by soulshipping »

I learned that, with the amount of people that go to AB nowadays, get in line for panels 30 minutes early and events even earlier.... Especially the swap meet.
Ezra - Your resident non-binary con-goer! She/they pronouns.
avalonknight
Getting the hang of this...

Post by avalonknight »

I'll echo what most of you said, the Saturday lines this year has been insane. Constant overflows and such. I was waiting outside of Anime Feud to decompress after not being about to get in, and I'm surprised to see there was still an overflow nearing the end of the show. Not sure if it's a recent thing since I've done booth assistance work for Crunchyroll for the last five-six years, so my views might be skewed. Thankfully, I bookmark all the panels and meetups I'm interested in in the app, so there is always something to do or see for me.
Lesson 1: If there is a panel that greatly interest you, it might be worth it to wait in line.
Lesson 2: On the Guidebook app, do not afraid to overlap panels in the event you couldn't get into one. Use it less as a schedule planner, but more as a "bookmark".

This year, I've finally got a Nesoberi of my favorite Love Live Sunshine character, Yoshiko Tsushima...technically Yohane from the recent show and games. After three-plus years, I'm extremely glad I got her. And this opened up some new interactions. Talking with not just other fans, but those who has gone to PAX East and tried out her YohaneVania over at the IntiCreates booth.
Lesson 3: Persistence and dedication can pay dividends in the end.

For context, my bag is the Bag of Holding 2.0. But this year. Maybe because I was in a rush, I'm placed the two artbooks I bought from an artist in the "main access" pocket, where I keep my props, pretty much just a BEELSmol Kronii plush, and not the "main storage" one, which is more or less empty. Came home to see it a bit warped, but putting it under a heavy book for a couple hours helped fix it. Though oddly the other book came out fine.
Lesson 4: Take the time to rearrange your inventory, it might save you some trouble with future troubles...and leg pain from the unevenness of it.

This is more of a fun one. Given how I dressed. Especially with a Hakos Baelz's tracksuit from Omocat. I got confused for a character from Mekakucity Actors this year, and I think from Gokusen from last year. Later, because I was wearing a blue shirt and white pants, with the tracksuit around my waist, I was Speed Racer.
Lesson 5: Accidental cosplay? Roll with it! You might get recommended an anime you haven't seen before.
Piplup Plush cosplays
2008-2012: Team Fortress 2 Scout
2013-2014: Fourth Doctor
Fate/Grand Order plush puppets
2018: Jeanne d'Arc Alter and Oda Nobunaga
2019: Jeanne d'Arc Alter, Oda Nobunaga, and Okita Souji