Lessons Learned at AB2023

This forum is for sharing photos, videos, reports, and finding people from Anime Boston 2023.

Moderators: Nyuu, MandaTifa

RayneDeanZ
Expert Poster

Lessons Learned at AB2023

Post by RayneDeanZ »

I know it’s only Saturday but this year I learned the biggest lesson I ever have:

Hydrate Hydrate HYDRATE!!! I ended up back at my hotel at 7:30 Friday sick as a dog from dehydration.
Been coming since 2011

Anime Boston 2017:
Mastermind!Chihiro Fujisaki (Dangan Ronpa)
Makoto Naegi (Dangan Ronpa)

Anime Boston 2018:
Shintaro Kisaragi (Kagerou Project)
Yasuke Matsuda (Dangan Ronpa)
Kiki (Kiki’s Delivery Service)

AB 2019:
Axel (Kingdom Hearts)

AB 2022:
Kazuichi Souda (Danganronpa)

AB 2023:
Kazuichi Souda (Danganronpa)
midnightsiren182
Tom Selleck Fan Club Member

Re: Lessons Learned at AB2023

Post by midnightsiren182 »

It was incredibly dry air inside for sure this year in Hynes/Hotel so yep, HYDRATIONNNNNN.

Personally I'm a big fan of one Liquid IV a day too to make sure electrolytes are good.
Lauren Gallo
Programming Ops Staff 2024
Master of NERV
Dedicated Poster

Post by Master of NERV »

• Stayed at the Marriott for the first time this year. Have to say I preferred their amenities over the Sheraton. The hotel restaurant was nice and service was pretty quick.
  • Do not overpack food! Brought a lot of snacks I never got to.
  • If coming in on Friday morning, don't be too early! The bag check in the Hynes wasn't open yet, and I had to leave my bag at the Marriott, where I had to track someone down to unlock two doors to get to my bag later.
  • Tried putting gel insoles into my shoes for the first time. They actually helped.
  • The CVS in the mall at the sky bridge to the Marriott is your friend.
Last edited by Master of NERV on Sun Apr 09, 2023 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AB 2003-2023 -- pre-reged for 2024!
2006, '12, '13: Commander Ikari (Evangelion)
2007: Dr. Akai (Maburaho)
Garysanderson96
Getting the hang of this...

Post by Garysanderson96 »

If saw something that really like, buy it right away.
I missed two figures due to my hesitation.
Hopefully they will return next year
Master of NERV
Dedicated Poster

Post by Master of NERV »

Garysanderson96 wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 7:32 pm If saw something that really like, buy it right away.
Sound advice, even if a different vendor has the same thing--at a lower price. It's a calculated risk.
Penti
Experienced Poster

Post by Penti »

• The Springhill Suites hotel on Revere Beach is incredibly nice, being very convenient for being right in front of Wonderland station...but it was also very expensive so I'll probably do something else next time.
  • If traveling by the T, especially if there's a lot of slow zones and construction, allow yourself time to accommodate for any potential delays. I missed a few panels because of waiting for trains.
  • Sometimes, riding the train to the Hynes Convention Center station can be more comfortable than riding to Prudential, even with the walk outside.
  • Buying a Wild Bill's mug was well worth the investment; not only to try their drinks, but also something convenient I can put water or coffee into during the rest of the year.
  • Anna's Taqueria is great if you're in the mood for Mexican food during the con; I went over there on a whim when I saw how long the line at Wagamama was, and loved the burrito I had.
Attended AB: 2017, 2019, 2022-present
Penti
Experienced Poster

Post by Penti »

Master of NERV wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 12:23 pm
  • The CVS in the mall at the sky bridge to the Marriott is your friend.
I second this; it was a godsend when one of my friends and I needed some last-minute supplies on the day of badge pickup.
Attended AB: 2017, 2019, 2022-present
Sayoria

Post by Sayoria »

- Don't bring corn to an event about tasks.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff: 2024
Garysanderson96

Post by Garysanderson96 »

Master of NERV wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 7:48 pm
Garysanderson96 wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 7:32 pm If saw something that really like, buy it right away.
Sound advice, even if a different vendor has the same thing--at a lower price. It's a calculated risk.
Yea, this morning when I came back to look for the figure that I wanted to buy, I was going around to check if there is a cheaper price. By the time I made up my mind and go back, the second figure I want to buy was gone lol
avalonknight

Post by avalonknight »

On Saturday, I decided to bring three Nesoberis with me for a panel I was attending. All in drawstring bags, and they were hanging over my shoulder, or at least should be. While Nero is snug in hers, I broke out new ones for Mari and DaVinci...who were constantly escaping and falling out (maybe I didn't manipulate the drawstrings right). It was also quite cumbersome that I ended up just hand carrying them for the three or so hours of where I planned on going, and then I put Mari and DaVinci back in the car after the panel. (You may laugh at the thought of it, since I do find the humor in it, especially I also thought about doing it again if Sega ever comes out with Nesoberis of the FGO Valkyries!)

Lesson 1: Have a plan for how you want to carry that many Nesoberis or related, and double check your equipment to see if they are working properly.

A special one, consider how awkward I looked with three Nesos on my back, I actually had a pretty visceral negative reaction towards me, not in my face, but she was shouting as we passed by each other on the Marriot/Prudential bridge. In all my years since 2006, I don't think I've encountered something like this. Not sure if it's real or a joke so...

Lesson 2: People can be rude. Best to just walk and carry on.

On Sunday, made a purchase of two BiCute Bunnies. Considering how early it was, I decided to walk to my car that was parked a couple blocks away to store them away. Oh boy. I am carrying figures of Ram and Sonico in bunnygirl outfits, and I'm going to be walking in busy Sunday foot traffic with them. Getting self-conscience of norms and all that, I just wrapped them in my jacket. Interestingly, it made carrying the two a bit easier under my arm.

Lesson 3: Carry a decent sized bag or two aside from your messenger bag. Even if it's a simple plastic bag.

As someone who has pins on their bag. I lost a backing to one of my pins, and it's the more secure locking ones too. Thankfully the only lapel-style pins I have are Pinny Arcades, which has requires two backings, so I didn't lose the pin itself, since I only lost one backing. But due to exposed pin, I had to take that off and wrap in some tissue to help protect the pin and the bag. (Great, the Wisdom Triforce is missing in the set and it looks weird) And I also regularly push the backings, making sure it's secure.

Lesson 4: Carry some extra pin backing, and regularly "vibe check" your pins.
Last edited by avalonknight on Mon Apr 10, 2023 12:24 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Piplup Plush cosplays
2008-2012: Team Fortress 2 Scout
2013-2014: Fourth Doctor
Fate/Grand Order plush puppets
2018: Jeanne d'Arc Alter and Oda Nobunaga
2019: Jeanne d'Arc Alter, Oda Nobunaga, and Okita Souji
KQBeans
Expert Poster

Post by KQBeans »

Sayoria wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 8:40 pm - Don't bring corn to an event about tasks.
What does this mean?? The mystery of this is killing me. There has to be a story to this. :’)
Sayoria

Post by Sayoria »

KQBeans wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 10:33 pm
Sayoria wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 8:40 pm - Don't bring corn to an event about tasks.
What does this mean?? The mystery of this is killing me. There has to be a story to this. :’)
I can't elaborate here too too much really due to which event it was. It's more of an 'if you know, you know' situation. The best I can say here is, someone brought a corn prop to an event and someone stole it.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff: 2024
Master of NERV
Dedicated Poster

Post by Master of NERV »

avalonknight wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 10:22 pm Nesoberis
Had to look this up. Never knew these odd plushies had a particular name.
avalonknight wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 10:22 pmOn Sunday, made a purchase of two BiCute Bunnies. Considering how early it was, I decided to walk to my car that was parked a couple blocks away to store them away. Oh boy. I am carrying figures of Ram and Sonico in bunnygirl outfits, and I'm going to be walking in busy Sunday foot traffic with them. Getting self-conscience of norms and all that, I just wrapped them in my jacket.
Occupational hazard whenever you leave the con and reenter Normieland.
avalonknight wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 10:22 pm As someone who has pins on their bag. I lost a backing to one of my pins, and it's the more secure locking ones too.
Tell me about it! :o I nearly lost two pins myself. Someone found my AB 2011 pin on the floor; the backing was in the bag the pin was on. (Yeah, try replacing THAT!) Mind you, I've attended every AB since the beginning, and have con pins for all of them. Losing even one would hurt.

Later, my San pin (Princess Mononoke) fell off my vest--and the backing somehow ended up in my jeans pocket(?!) As soon as I got home, I ordered 200 plastic backings for my collection.
kittengeist

Post by kittengeist »

Fully costest all your cosplays prior to the convention. I had an entire cosplay backfire the day of due to wig issues which could’ve been avoided if I tried it on beforehand.
AB 2024 Lineup:

Friday AM - Cure Majesty
Friday PM - Cure Wing
Saturday - Cure Majesty
Sunday - N/A
basharoftheages
Under a bridge

Post by basharoftheages »

Master of NERV wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 8:15 amAs soon as I got home, I ordered 200 plastic backings for my collection.
The metal kind that kinda lock in cost more but will save you so much heartache.
Justin Corriveau - Fan Creations Co-Coordinator (2023-2024)
Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2022)
Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator (2008-2016)
Anna-neko
AB Alumni

Post by Anna-neko »

avalonknight wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 10:22 pm Lesson 4: Carry some extra pin backing, and regularly "vibe check" your pins.
or join us ita-bag havers, as all those gorgeous things are safely staying behind a layer of plastic! Occasional vibe-checks are still good, and the bags come as big as big messanger-bag or tote-bag sizes!
Maid Cafe - '18, '19, '22

why, yes, I have been goin to this con since day 1. Wanna brain-break on the age math?
hanaperi.studio

Post by hanaperi.studio »

Bag check on the 1st floor of the Hynes opened much later and closed much earlier than I expected. I need to be more prepared to carry all of my things around, economize on packing, or plan alternate storage methods!
AB 2023
FRI: Shibuya Kanon, Yuigaoka Uniform (Love Live! Superstar)
SAT: Wien Margarete, Butterfly Wing (Love Live! Superstar)
SUN: Mifune Shioriko, Emotion (Love Live! Nijigasaki)

AB 2022
FRI: Shibuya Kanon, Yuigaoka Uniform (Love Live! Superstar)
SAT: Uehara Ayumu, Yume e no Ippo (Love Live! Nijigasaki)