Nobody recognized your cosplay?

This forum is dedicated to sharing stories, photos, and other discussion related to Anime Boston 2007.
pmastamonkmonk
Veteran Poster

Post by pmastamonkmonk »

Me, too! XD Friday, I was one of the underground American cast from the Gravitation Manga and only a few people caught who I was cause of the giant "XMR" on my Name Tag (I was Reiji, by the way).

Saturday? Shishiwakamaru from YYH. I saw a Kuronue and she made my day because of the love she showed me. NO ONE KNEW WHO I WAS, SRSLY! ;0;

Anyone else feel this walking down the halls, watching other people pose for pictures and wondering why you had to love characters from an Anime no one else watches anymore? (YYH is only 16 years old... *sad*)
H. Guderian
Obsessed Poster

Post by H. Guderian »

I've been up and down the gallery/photo thread, I'm only in one that a friend took. The game I'm from was in pretty much the top10 list for every major game reveiw site/magazine/show.

I got a lot of happy people exclaim they knew who I was, and a few hugs, a good deal of photos, but about none of it is translating past the con. Feel like a ghost in the forums...
NoTouchie
Veteran Poster

Post by NoTouchie »

Shishiwakamaru!?! OMG I never saw you, I SO would have gotten your picture! There was almost no YYH there, I only saw 1 Yusuke, Hiei, Kurama, Koenma, and I was Yomi. I feel sad now. Um, do you have a picture of youself that I could have? (that sounds so creepy)
TwinEnigma
Determined Poster

Post by TwinEnigma »

I was cosplaying a plain-clothes Belldandy of Oh My Goddess (jean jacket, white dress and heeled sandals) and I wasn't recognized, even with the big blue diamonds on my cheeks, the one on my forehead and the chained earring in the left ear.

I guess it was waaaaaaaay too subtle a costume. Though, now I know how those goddesses get by unnoticed in Oh My Goddess! xDDDDD
Eiri
Expert Poster

Post by Eiri »

[quote=H. Guderian]I've been up and down the gallery/photo thread, I'm only in one that a friend took. The game I'm from was in pretty much the top10 list for every major game reveiw site/magazine/show.

I got a lot of happy people exclaim they knew who I was, and a few hugs, a good deal of photos, but about none of it is translating past the con. Feel like a ghost in the forums...[/quote]

XD, the guy from Shadow of the Colossus.
That game was awesome, the way he looks all evil towards the end. >_>

To be honest though, it's like... the game was probably one of the best in a long time, but I don't think it was that widely recognized by the average person
QueenDuranie
AB Alumni

Post by QueenDuranie »

On Friday I cosplayed as Re-l Mayer from Ergo Proxy. The only person who recognized me was Travis, who played Re-l's android companion in the series. I guess it's still pretty new. And I least I can now claim to be Travis' very first
Re-l coplayer he has ever seen, which, to me anyways, is very cool.
Pam "Izumi" Larson
"I'm a ALCHEMIST!"
2013 North American Guest Liaison
2010-12 Green Room Manager
Sayoria
AB Staff

Post by Sayoria »

Yukito Kunisaki of Air. I needed my Hair dyed white though, my Platinum Hair dye turned out to be for Highlights only and failed me. :S
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff: 2024
Captain Fuzzy
Determined Poster

Post by Captain Fuzzy »

I was Jenos Hazard from Black Cat and only had 4 people recognize me. Even when i was with some other people dressed a Black Cat characters, i went unnoticed. One guy in the dealers room thought i was doing some sort of homage to Dr. Doom
PapouStarburst
Expert Poster

Post by PapouStarburst »

Hey!

Remember me, I sat with you guys on Friday at "Whose line is it anime?" My name is Carrissa. I knew you were from some PS2 game i just couldn't place you. My sister on the other hand recognized you immediately and she hasn't even play SotC. Nice to hear from you though :)

Carrissa
H. Guderian
Obsessed Poster

Post by H. Guderian »

nice to meet up again! Did you try messaging me by other means earlier? I was at work~
PapouStarburst
Expert Poster

Post by PapouStarburst »

No this is the first time i saw you in the forums. I am on here all the time.
Kana
Experienced Poster

Post by Kana »

On Saturday I was scarf version Anna from Shaman King. Only two people, besides the group I went with, seemed to notice who I was..
KAIN SLICKER
I'm Special!

Post by KAIN SLICKER »

[quote=PaopuStarburst]No this is the first time i saw you in the forums. I am on here all the time. [/quote]

I'm posting to you, because I read about your tagline - cosplayed as Cassius from Julius Caesar.

You mean THE CASSIUS from Shakespeare's Julius Caesar, or is this an actual anime out there about Roman conspiracy (which better be better than that Reign series).

You wouldn't happen to have a picture Cassius? *Or were you too busy stabbing Julius Caesar
KAIN SLICKER
I'm Special!

Post by KAIN SLICKER »

[quote=QueenDuranie]On Friday I cosplayed as Re-l Mayer from Ergo Proxy. The only person who recognized me was Travis, who played Re-l's android companion in the series. I guess it's still pretty new. And I least I can now claim to be Travis' very first
Re-l coplayer he has ever seen, which, to me anyways, is very cool. [/quote]

BLAST! How could I have missed REAL MAYER at the convention.

You wouldn't happen to have any pictures of yourself, would you? Ping me, private message me, or whatever it is they do on the forums these days, if you got one fo sure.
pmastamonkmonk
Veteran Poster

Post by pmastamonkmonk »

[quote=NoTouchie]Shishiwakamaru!?! OMG I never saw you, I SO would have gotten your picture! There was almost no YYH there, I only saw 1 Yusuke, Hiei, Kurama, Koenma, and I was Yomi. I feel sad now. Um, do you have a picture of youself that I could have? (that sounds so creepy)[/quote]

I was Shishi on Saturday (I sat in line for the Masq at 3 XD) My friends took pictures of me in the hotel and one of the guys in Security did, too... so if I can find a pic, I'll post it :D
baegulls
Getting the hang of this...

Post by baegulls »

I figured this would happened, but the Oriya I cosplayed didn't garner alot of recognization. A Muraki cosplayer in the Artist Alley gave me a nod and that was about it ^^;;
Aka-chan
I'm new!

Post by Aka-chan »

I was Takamachi Nanoha in her school uniform and my boyfriend was Chrono Harlaown from Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha. He was recognized twice and I was recognized once. I was SO upset about halfway through Saturday that I swore I was never going to cosplay again (this was my first try) when someone came up to me in the masquerade line and asked "Are you Nanoha?" The poor guy... I gave him this HUGE hug and said "THANK YOU so much! You're the first person who recognized me!!!!!" He asked for a picture after that.

That was definitely the bright point for me. I know Nanoha isn't licensed yet but I expected SOME people to recognize me. I even had my familiar with me. And my boyfriend did a wonderful reproduction of Chrono's staff to go with the costume that was spot on.

*pout*
Zensunni St. James

Post by Zensunni St. James »

I would have recognized you as Oriya but I never saw you! Do you have pictures?
I was Mary Magdalene of Chrono Crusade. Even with Demon Chronor with me I didn't get recognized. I think I was identified maybe 3 or 4 times. Lots of blank stares and "Oh, okay." Such is the life of obscure characters.
drgnladysupreme
Committed Poster

Post by drgnladysupreme »

I would've recognized you as well, if I saw you. I know that for sure. *Nods* I've always wanted to crossplay him.

And, while in general it wasn't recognized, it had been more than expected. I was Terazuma Hajime, from Yami no Matsuei. However, it wasn't his typical outfit, but one from when he was practicing for the new year's competition.

Got noticed twice, I believe. Two more times than I thought I'd be. :P
J. Love Tatum
God hustle, 2016! Good hustle.
2017 is gonna be totally rad.
  • Hints will go here
  • For something old and new.
Master of NERV
Dedicated Poster

Post by Master of NERV »

This year, I went as Dr. Akai from Maburaho. If anyone recognized me, they kept it to themselves, and only one person asked who I was (and never heard of the show, as it turned out).

A big difference from last year when I dressed as Commander Ikari (Evangelion); I was glomped, yelled at because "Earth was destroyed just because you couldn't communicate with your son!", and even interviewed in character for a high-school anime club. What a difference a year makes...
AB 2003-2023 -- pre-reged for 2024!
2006, '12, '13: Commander Ikari (Evangelion)
2007: Dr. Akai (Maburaho)
Tez

Post by Tez »

I so know how you all feel. Last year I coplayed as Ai from Popotan. Only 1 person asked who I was and when I said, shrugged, said "never heard of it" and walked off, all the while my husband as Commander Ikari (master of NERV) got, as he posted glomped, accosted, interviewed and even noticed by Matt Greenfield of ADV. So this year I cosplayed as Tokiko, Priestess of Genbu from Fushigi Yugi Genbu Kaiden Manga. I knew no one would recognize me so I couldn't be disappointed. It would have been nice for someone to have admired the work of the costume, though. I remember last year seeing someone in the crappiest costume ever get glomped by nearly the entire con. Apparently if you don't cosplay FMA, Naruto, Bleach or Kingdom Heart (video games, ugh) there was no way to get noticed. And as for all the non-anime/manga/vid game related costumes, can anyone explain why Jesus in crown of thorns is okay?
Manda

Post by Manda »

Eeee, I remember you! I think I saw you while I was waiting (first~) in line for the Cosplay Chess match. I got a hug. If my camera hadn't died Friday and I'd forgotten the charger, I totally would have taken your picture. <3

*glomps again*
Ranakori
Veteran Poster

Post by Ranakori »

On Sunday I cosplayed as a moogle in a fuzzy suit with sparkly purple wings. I don't know if it was Sunday or just a really bad costume, but I got a lot less recognition that I expected with that fuzzy white monstrosity.
pmastamonkmonk
Veteran Poster

Post by pmastamonkmonk »

[quote=Tez]I so know how you all feel. Last year I coplayed as Ai from Popotan. Only 1 person asked who I was and when I said, shrugged, said "never heard of it" and walked off, all the while my husband as Commander Ikari (master of NERV) got, as he posted glomped, accosted, interviewed and even noticed by Matt Greenfield of ADV. So this year I cosplayed as Tokiko, Priestess of Genbu from Fushigi Yugi Genbu Kaiden Manga. I knew no one would recognize me so I couldn't be disappointed. It would have been nice for someone to have admired the work of the costume, though. I remember last year seeing someone in the crappiest costume ever get glomped by nearly the entire con. Apparently if you don't cosplay FMA, Naruto, Bleach or Kingdom Heart (video games, ugh) there was no way to get noticed. And as for all the non-anime/manga/vid game related costumes, can anyone explain why Jesus in crown of thorns is okay?[/quote]

I dunno why, but he just is. Buddy Christ is there every year and we all love him for it. XD
genibane
Expert Poster

Post by genibane »

I pride myself in being able to identify less known characters, but I know what you mean. I did Excel from Excel Saga and only one person asked for my picture, but when I did Kankuro I got lot's of people recognizing me. *shrugs* I did get to see a Lime from Saber Marionette J and I nearly squealed my head off, begging for her picture.
Blade21576
Expert Poster

Post by Blade21576 »

I wound up going as Rikimaru from a game called Tenchue and everybody thought I was some guy from Naruto XD
Captain Fuzzy
Determined Poster

Post by Captain Fuzzy »

[quote=Blade21576]I wound up going as Rikimaru from a game called Tenchue and everybody thought I was some guy from Naruto XD[/quote]

I knew who you were, but i can see where the naruto mix up came about. He does look alot like Kakashi and some people have said his appearance was based off of Rikimaru
Captain Fuzzy
Determined Poster

Post by Captain Fuzzy »

[quote=pmastamonkmonk]
I dunno why, but he just is. Buddy Christ is there every year and we all love him for it. XD[/quote]

His badge said Metal Jesus, so i assumed it had something to do with the Penny-Arcade comic and the "Jesus is Metal" thing.
Emmy

Post by Emmy »

I think a lot of people had trouble recognizing which character I was cosplaying as. I went as Retsu Unohana from BLEACH and though, people could tell I was a BLEACH character they seemed unaware of who I was. Though, I think that was just due to her not being a very popular, or shown character in the series. And of course It didn't help having a Rukia, Orihime, Yachiru, and Momo in the group XD They just stole the spot light. Maybe if I do more in the future like add her bankai to the cosplay I'd get more recognition. XD Oh well. I had a great time anyways.
CrimsonKMR

Post by CrimsonKMR »

I reconized you! :D
Master of NERV
Dedicated Poster

Post by Master of NERV »

I do believe I saw you at least twice at the Sheraton, near the elevators and Registration. I tried to get a photo, but I could never catch up with you. :(
AB 2003-2023 -- pre-reged for 2024!
2006, '12, '13: Commander Ikari (Evangelion)
2007: Dr. Akai (Maburaho)
Junebugbaby87
Expert Poster

Post by Junebugbaby87 »

No one recognized my Yuzuki cosplay (Chobits). I wonder if dying my hair would have given it away...
Wraith
Experienced Poster

Post by Wraith »

[quote=Tez]...Apparently if you don't cosplay FMA, Naruto, Bleach or Kingdom Heart (video games, ugh) there was no way to get noticed...[/quote]

Well, as I'm sure people are sick of hearing me say, I thought I was going to be noticed a little more cosplaying as Noa (a major character from the FMA movie), but I think three people noticed me & one guy took my photo & he had to ask me who I was cosplaying as. >shruggrin, wink, waves camera in the air< NYAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
Nebraska
Experienced Poster

Post by Nebraska »

I cosplayed Millerna from Escaflowne on Friday, and I was a little surprised at how few people recognized me, seeing as Escaflowne's fairly popular. One guy thought I was Zelda. But I didn't mind too much, because then it made it all the better when those few people did recognize me ^_^

On Saturday my friends and I did a Manos the Hands of Fate group, and I was Torgo. It was funny, because when I wandered off from Manos VERY few people knew who I was. Someone asked if I was cosplaying a hillbilly. But when I was around Manos it seemed like most people figured it out. Those hands are kind of noticeable...

A lot of times people don't know characters I do. One year I did Siela from Chaos Legion, and like, two people recognized me. But the costume was so pretty, it was so fun to wear!
Bean

Post by Bean »

I think only one or two people knew I was Christine form Phantom of the opera at the ball. I even walked passed a phantom a few times who didn't seem to even know who I was.
Wraith
Experienced Poster

Post by Wraith »

[quote=Nebraska]I cosplayed Millerna from Escaflowne on Friday...[/quote]
Aiya! I can't believe I missed you!!!! Well, I can't believe I missed a lot of people over the weekend...but a fellow Escaflowne cosplayer (I was Vari last year)...I am truely ashamed, if you have a photo of yourself, I would love to see it.
CJ Gren
AB Staff

Post by CJ Gren »

I was cosplaying as Reira from NANA. I'm pretty sure the only people that knew who I was were my friends and the other NANA cosplayers I met up with.
Jennifer McDonald
Anime Boston Transportation Manager 2019
Volar

Post by Volar »

[quote=Tez]I so know how you all feel. Last year I coplayed as Ai from Popotan. Only 1 person asked who I was and when I said, shrugged, said "never heard of it" and walked off, all the while my husband as Commander Ikari (master of NERV) got, as he posted glomped, accosted, interviewed and even noticed by Matt Greenfield of ADV. So this year I cosplayed as Tokiko, Priestess of Genbu from Fushigi Yugi Genbu Kaiden Manga. I knew no one would recognize me so I couldn't be disappointed. It would have been nice for someone to have admired the work of the costume, though. I remember last year seeing someone in the crappiest costume ever get glomped by nearly the entire con. Apparently if you don't cosplay FMA, Naruto, Bleach or Kingdom Heart (video games, ugh) there was no way to get noticed. And as for all the non-anime/manga/vid game related costumes, can anyone explain why Jesus in crown of thorns is okay?[/quote]

Totally agree. However I don't mind if I am noticed or not, I just want to cosplay the character I like. And if I am recognized, it is because that person shares the same interest as me in that character.

However I was easily recognized by many gamers.

-Volar
coolforever
AB Alumni

Post by coolforever »

I went as Kiba from Wolf's Rain and instead, everyone ended up recognizing my friend who went as Hige. XD
Mike Sweeney
Anime Boston Game Show Staff 2018 & 2019

Previous Anime Boston Badge Names:

AB 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011: Kiba. AB 2007: Shin'ichi Kudo. AB 2012: Kiba the Eurobeat Lover.
AB 2013: Kaitou Kid the Eurobeat Lover. Anime Boston 2014: Kaitou Kid the 80's J-Pop Lover.
AB 2015: Kaitou Kid the Sonic Fan. AB 2016: Kaitou Kid the Wolfman. AB 2017: Kaitou Kid the Rocketeer.

Wolf's Rain will always be my #1 favorite Anime of all time. :)
Pygmy

Post by Pygmy »

I went as Lucifer from angel sanctuary and only a few people recognized me probably because it is not well knownbut i dont really mind it was fun to do.
Pathfinder

Post by Pathfinder »

No one knew who we were on Friday except Ada... who was our unofficial K-san due to my appearance in the dating game.. though I call her our official K. she knew who we were... so did one other obsessed gravi fan... but other than that... after they took the guns away we didn't stand a chance of being recognized. oh well... yay american cast of gravitation!!! le sigh. After about two hours on saturday, I had a hard time being noticed as Zelgadis of all people who used to be one of the most popular underdone anime characters in existence.

sorry, I didn't get one of you as shishi(wakawakawakawakawakawaka)maru, but I scored one of you as Sailor Pikachu. http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a203/ ... 7/AB38.jpg

I found a few other pictures from the 18+ dating game with me as Judy.. but no one really knew who I was. oh well. it was mega fun anyway, and it gives a nice diversity to the con. ^_^ its not just a bunch of ninja, shinigami and alchemists. heeheehee.
Joshua Dauphinais, Anime Boston Hall Cosplay Coordinator 2009-2012.

My Law cosplay brings all the girls to the yard.

Tez

Post by Tez »

Well, this thread is "No one recognized your cosplay" hence my comments. Last year my issue was I made my husband's costume (well the jacket, everything else could be store bought) and he was followed around like he was a jerk with a god complex (oops, he was) but I made my costume from dress to cape to hat and even made myself a plushie and I actually felt like I was getting the eye avoidance, not just the ignoring. Since it was my first cosplay and I was totally ignored when I worked my butt off on the costume, it was disappointing. This year I did cosplay for me. I had much more fun.
ExileFayt
AB Alumni

Post by ExileFayt »

lol aww i know how you feel =O
when I wore my human lolita version of Kuroneko from Trigun nobody knew who I was even though I was hanging out with my Trigun cosplaying friends XD
but thats understandable lol
Live, Laugh, Cosplay!
Pham
AB Staff

Post by Pham »

[quote=QueenDuranie]On Friday I cosplayed as Re-l Mayer from Ergo Proxy. The only person who recognized me was Travis, who played Re-l's android companion in the series. I guess it's still pretty new. And I least I can now claim to be Travis' very first

Ha! Another Re-l! Too bad we missed each other! i was cosplaying Re-l on Saturday for a few hours.
Tuan N. Pham
Asst Director of Public Relations, AB 2017, 2018
Director of Public Relations, AB 2007-2016
pmastamonkmonk
Veteran Poster

Post by pmastamonkmonk »

[quote=Pathfinder]No one knew who we were on Friday except Ada... who was our unofficial K-san due to my appearance in the dating game.. though I call her our official K. she knew who we were... so did one other obsessed gravi fan... but other than that... after they took the guns away we didn't stand a chance of being recognized. oh well... yay american cast of gravitation!!! le sigh. After about two hours on saturday, I had a hard time being noticed as Zelgadis of all people who used to be one of the most popular underdone anime characters in existence.

sorry, I didn't get one of you as shishi(wakawakawakawakawakawaka)maru, but I scored one of you as Sailor Pikachu. http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a203/ ... 7/AB38.jpg

I found a few other pictures from the 18+ dating game with me as Judy.. but no one really knew who I was. oh well. it was mega fun anyway, and it gives a nice diversity to the con. ^_^ its not just a bunch of ninja, shinigami and alchemists. heeheehee.
[/quote]

Ada is just full of awesome, there is no denying that fact. You had boobages, even if no one knew who you were, they approved of your cosplay. I'm sure a few Mustangs loved my tiny miniskirt, too XD

Ah well, next year we'll just need to get me a bound and gagged Shuichi and you a Micheal. :3
pmastamonkmonk
Veteran Poster

Post by pmastamonkmonk »

[quote=coolforever]I went as Kiba from Wolf's Rain and instead, everyone ended up recognizing my friend who went as Hige. XD[/quote]

The thing with Kiba is he's a closet cosplay that really isn't so different from normal clothes. Like Hideki or Kentaro, they just look like normal clothes. Hige, on the other hand, has a giant dog collar and a big, yellow hoody. He's a little more easily distinguished.

But I had blue freaking hair on Saturday. Two people knew who I was and no one wanted my picture... I was a little sad.
KAIN SLICKER
I'm Special!

Post by KAIN SLICKER »

[quote=Pham][quote=QueenDuranie]On Friday I cosplayed as Re-l Mayer from Ergo Proxy. The only person who recognized me was Travis, who played Re-l's android companion in the series. I guess it's still pretty new. And I least I can now claim to be Travis' very first

Ha! Another Re-l! Too bad we missed each other! i was cosplaying Re-l on Saturday for a few hours.[/quote]

Where are all these REAL MAYERS COMING FROM.

Seriously, if there's a picture of one, mail it to me - I was sleepwalking half the time during the convention, due to 3 hours of sleep and booze, so I bet I might have seen you...

dizzy guymelef

Post by dizzy guymelef »

[quote=Nebraska]I cosplayed Millerna from Escaflowne on Friday, and I was a little surprised at how few people recognized me, seeing as Escaflowne's fairly popular. One guy thought I was Zelda. But I didn't mind too much, because then it made it all the better when those few people did recognize me ^_^

On Saturday my friends and I did a Manos the Hands of Fate group, and I was Torgo. It was funny, because when I wandered off from Manos VERY few people knew who I was. Someone asked if I was cosplaying a hillbilly. But when I was around Manos it seemed like most people figured it out. Those hands are kind of noticeable...

A lot of times people don't know characters I do. One year I did Siela from Chaos Legion, and like, two people recognized me. But the costume was so pretty, it was so fun to wear![/quote]
we saw you as millerna moohaha, got pics to prove how good it was.
Naoko Youko
Experienced Poster

Post by Naoko Youko »

[quote=pmastamonkmonk]Me, too! XD Friday, I was one of the underground American cast from the Gravitation Manga and only a few people caught who I was cause of the giant "XMR" on my Name Tag (I was Reiji, by the way).

Saturday? Shishiwakamaru from YYH. I saw a Kuronue and she made my day because of the love she showed me. NO ONE KNEW WHO I WAS, SRSLY! ;0;

Anyone else feel this walking down the halls, watching other people pose for pictures and wondering why you had to love characters from an Anime no one else watches anymore? (YYH is only 16 years old... *sad*)[/quote]

[color:green]THAT WAS ME! <3 I was talking about you almost constantly when my boyfriend finally showed up! xD

...Are you the same person from that YYH icon community on livejournal? ....Because that would be a bit spooky if you were, since I looked for new MSN icons there all the time. o_o

Edit: I actually can't complain much--I got some random hugs and also some love from random members of the Host Club. I turned to apologize to...Haruhi, I think it was...when I bumped into her with my wings, and they spazzed and took pictures.
"Kuronue with Kumagoro. WTF. xD" I believe that's what one said...(I was carrying Kumagoro because...well, I love Kumagoro. xD

...Anyway, the few that did recognize me loved me to death--I felt bad, though, since one Sesshoumaru cosplayer wanted to find me later when she had a camera and I left early that day. ^^; (Let me know who you are and I'll get you a picture if you still want it! =3 )[/color]
Kal_the_ronin
Expert Poster

Post by Kal_the_ronin »

I was just random ronin in black...and of course thrown in with the shinigami. -Shrugs.- Good to find someone to associate with espically when the Naurto ninjas attack.