AB '07 Panel Deja Vu... I've seen this before...

This forum is dedicated to sharing stories, photos, and other discussion related to Anime Boston 2007.
bel_mulderleia
I'm new!

Post by bel_mulderleia »

Is it just me, or did anyone else find the panel selection this year to be a little lacking? There were some few interesting panels, but the most "interesting" topics were re-hashes from prior Anime Boston's that we've seen two or three times before.

More panels about various themes in anime and more panels that delve into the intellectual side of things would be really great. "Final Fantasy and philosophy" is a great idea, but it's been here multiple times before. It would be swell if the AB staff could reach out to the great academic community Boston boasts early in the planning process and get some more panels and some more variety in there, and really make AB '08 great (Not that I can go, because they scheduled it for Easter again!! That makes me so sad. Why Easter? Why ON a HOLIDAY???). I had fun at '07, but a lot of it felt like repetition. New things like the swap meet are great additions, and expansion is a great way to keep people coming back.

ps- please don't make it Easter! :(
LeeleeTheBunny
AB Alumni

Post by LeeleeTheBunny »

I love that it's on Easter. Good Friday mass at 6AM off to Boston. Schools are closed. Kids will probably love it I imagine. Then Sunday happens and it's over anyway. I know Easter is a big holiday but the alternatives I was hearing were worse. I don't want to pay $400 a night for a room.
-Leelee
Masquerade Coordinator 2009-2011
Video Gaming Coordinator 2011
Executive Advisory Board 2011
Eimi
Show-off

Post by Eimi »

It's going to be on easter and its not being changed :p Its not like the Hynes can be changed easily

And as for the panels, I'm sure it just has to do with what people apply to run. If you want to do a panel on something you find interesting, then round up some panelists and run it yourself next year. The panels are the same because the same people keep applying
Bamboozle
Expert Poster

Post by Bamboozle »

but it says in the front that AB 08 will be in march. where did you get easter from?
dokool
Feeds off your tears

Post by dokool »

There were definitely a few new panels this year - I was on one of them, the Pro Yakyuu panel, and I think it went well enough that we'll expand next year. As far as my other panels (AMV101 and Student's Guide to Tokyo), yes, they're repeats, but they're also popular repeats (much like FF and Philosophy, a panel I've never been lucky enough to have time to attend). Also, there was 2x as much panel time this year as there was last year, no? So there had to have been something new...
Rappak
AB Staff

Post by Rappak »

Richard Pakpreo

Volunteer 2006-2007
Junior Volunteer Wrangler 2008-2009
Senior Volunteer Wrangler 2010-2015
Treasury Staff 2016-2019
Director of Treasury 2020-2024
eidna
Determined Poster

Post by eidna »

[quote=Bamboozle]but it says in the front that AB 08 will be in march. where did you get easter from?[/quote]

Easter changes dates based on the lunar cycle. It's not a fixed date.
AB 2013: 7000 cosplay ideas I'll probably not finish
AB 2012: Normal person :O
AB 2011: Konata Izumi cosplaying Haruhi Suzumiya
AB 2010: Cop-out catgirl
AB 2009: Haruhi Suzumiya
AB 2008: Haruhi Suzumiya
AB 2007: Suigintou
AB 2006: Chii
AB 2004: Chii
bel_mulderleia
I'm new!

Post by bel_mulderleia »

I know it won't be changed, it just makes me very sad because it is the one weekend of the year that means that I won't be able to go to the con for the weekend, because my job requires me to work that entire weekend, and very long hours each day. Last time, I managed to beg my way out of it, but now that I've moved up in my job, there's no way of being free for the con. I just needed to express my great dismay.
Bamboozle
Expert Poster

Post by Bamboozle »

ah ok, didnt realize it was. Thanks.

I can only imagine what all the good friday church goers are going to say, thats going to be a blast. Especially since i plan on going as orochimaru. yay

Anyways, back on topic. There definatly werent enough panels this year. The few panels that i did goto were not even prepared to do what they were supposed to do tho. Hopefully next year will be better.