Suggestion for all: Bring some business cards!

This forum is dedicated to sharing stories, photos, and other discussion related to Anime Boston 2007.
Keithel
AB Alumni

Post by Keithel »

For those of you that are always sad that you can't connect with the new friends you met at Anime Boston -- next year plan ahead for this a little and print up some business cards to hand out. :)
Keith Kyzivat
Assistant Director of Programming #2/Weekend Events Manager
Anime Boston 2014
ADProg 2011-2014, Co-Chair 2009-2010, VC 2007-2008,
Secretary+Merch Mgr 2006, Merch Mgr 2004-2005, Vol+Merch Mgr 2003
gmsenpai
Veteran Poster

Post by gmsenpai »

I know I did. My podcast brought over 500 business cards along with us this year.

The production team also brought along their own personal business cards as well.(We did this last year as well)

Its not too difficult to get yourself some home made business cards to hand out either. All you need is a printer and a business card set from an office retailer(Staples, Office Max, Office Depot) or a retail outlet(Wal-Mart, Target, K-Mart) and you're good to go.

I would suggest the above route for just regular people and so forth who just wanna communicate with people post con. Mainly because its cheaper that way.

Anyone with anything to promote(like myself) could go the professional printer route and get yourself some sweet, colorful, shinny business cards.

These go great with the promotions table and peg boards that were posted by the two or three information booths at the con.

I hope I'm not stepping on toes with some tips.

And remember, networking is a remarkable thing. ;)
Pham
AB Staff

Post by Pham »

This is usually what I carry during Cons:

http://www.moo.com/

Minimoo cards are GREAT. Really customizable and cute all the time.
Tuan N. Pham
Asst Director of Public Relations, AB 2017, 2018
Director of Public Relations, AB 2007-2016
Gollum
Veteran Poster

Post by Gollum »

I realized about halfway through the day on Friday that I should have had business cards for my site and podcast.

I prefer to print them on card stock instead of spending extra to buy the printable "business cards". The only difference is the card stock isn't precut so I have to cut my own, but the price for card stock is better than those premade business cards.
Immelmann
Getting the hang of this...

Post by Immelmann »

I had home-made business cards this year, though my sociophobia didn't allow me many opportunities to use them. I did enslave a friend to hand out fliers for my comic though, so I guess it's not all a loss.
Amjam
Determined Poster

Post by Amjam »

That's a pretty good idea. When I go places, I generally look out for people on the forums later or scribble a cell number/email on a wrapper or something. XD I'll keep this in mind for next year.
:geek: Arthur
attendee since '06, occasional panelist
tmchiba
Veteran Poster

Post by tmchiba »

Excellent advice. I normally bring a ton to the con, though this year I had no prep time due to other concerns, but yes, it's an excellent idea. :thumbup:
eidna
Determined Poster

Post by eidna »

[quote=Pham]This is usually what I carry during Cons:

http://www.moo.com/

Minimoo cards are GREAT. Really customizable and cute all the time.[/quote]

Those are awesome!!!
AB 2013: 7000 cosplay ideas I'll probably not finish
AB 2012: Normal person :O
AB 2011: Konata Izumi cosplaying Haruhi Suzumiya
AB 2010: Cop-out catgirl
AB 2009: Haruhi Suzumiya
AB 2008: Haruhi Suzumiya
AB 2007: Suigintou
AB 2006: Chii
AB 2004: Chii
xenocrisis0153
Needs a purpose in life

Post by xenocrisis0153 »

I was planning on bringing like 100 cards for my website, but we couldn't decide on a design fast enough for the con. Oh well, maybe for Otakon.
Keithel
AB Alumni

Post by Keithel »

[quote=xenocrisis0153]I was planning on bringing like 100 cards for my website, but we couldn't decide on a design fast enough for the con. Oh well, maybe for Otakon.[/quote]

I'm suggesting one brings them more than just for podcasts, websites, businesses, though that's good too -- I'm thinking more along the lines of "Personal Cards" -- When you meet up with some cool new friends, etc - instead of spending the time digging up paper and pen, just have some business cards to pass out! Then you have more time to have fun and spend less time writing your name/phone/AIM/email/etc...
Keith Kyzivat
Anime Boston 2014
lunchbox
Expert Poster

Post by lunchbox »

While that does sound like a good idea in terms of getting your info out. It might come across as weird that you carry around a business card around unless you work for a company. Then again, it is an Anime Convention :D . I might do this myself lawlz
eidna
Determined Poster

Post by eidna »

[quote=lunchbox]While that does sound like a good idea in terms of getting your info out. It might come across as weird that you carry around a business card around unless you work for a company. Then again, it is an Anime Convention :D . I might do this myself lawlz [/quote]

Well, a lot of singles actually carry around personal cards to potential dates... it's a good idea overall! I've had people I've DDRed with ask me for contact info, and we always scramble to find paper and pen.
AB 2013: 7000 cosplay ideas I'll probably not finish
AB 2012: Normal person :O
AB 2011: Konata Izumi cosplaying Haruhi Suzumiya
AB 2010: Cop-out catgirl
AB 2009: Haruhi Suzumiya
AB 2008: Haruhi Suzumiya
AB 2007: Suigintou
AB 2006: Chii
AB 2004: Chii
Keithel
AB Alumni

Post by Keithel »

[quote=lunchbox]While that does sound like a good idea in terms of getting your info out. It might come across as weird that you carry around a business card around unless you work for a company. Then again, it is an Anime Convention :D . I might do this myself lawlz [/quote]

Maybe it's a little weird, but, c'mon, how do things become normal? By people doing it first and being weird, and other's catching on to how much better it is! :)
Keith Kyzivat
Anime Boston 2014
gmsenpai
Veteran Poster

Post by gmsenpai »

Ya, make them the most un-business like business cards ever. Don't put a company logo or one of those stupid cartoon clip art things.

Put a picture of the person your cosplaying, something you might have drawn, a really small version of your desktop wallpaper(provided its clean of course), etc..

And of course if worse comes to worse you can always put the Anime Boston logo on there. ;)
Master of NERV
Dedicated Poster

Post by Master of NERV »

My wife and I made up business cards, but not for ourselves. The cards were for the fellow who made my wife's boffer naginata for her costume (his main stock in trade is weapons for LARPing.) We actually handed out a few for those who were interested...
AB 2003-2023 -- pre-reged for 2024!
2006, '12, '13: Commander Ikari (Evangelion)
2007: Dr. Akai (Maburaho)
yawaraka_keroro

Post by yawaraka_keroro »

[quote=Immelmann]I had home-made business cards this year, though my sociophobia didn't allow me many opportunities to use them. I did enslave a friend to hand out fliers for my comic though, so I guess it's not all a loss.[/quote]

The almost-exact same thing happened to me. But I went alone and not a lot of booths seemed to have employment opportunities, so I just left them all on the table for free flyers to be left and taken.
socksgirl

Post by socksgirl »

Actually I think I heard somewhere that in Japan everyone carries "business cards" around with them, even if they don't work for a business, for the very purpose of exchanging personal contact information. It makes a lot of sense when you think about it because who ever has a pen or paper with them when they need it?

And I just looked into those MOO cards, they look like a great investment, roughly 25 dollars including shipping for 100 cards customized with your own pictures/photos and you can put all your contact info on the back. It would cost 25 dollars in printer ink alone to print all those at home! I think I will have the moo cards for next year for sure!
Linker83
Expert Poster

Post by Linker83 »

[quote=GMSenpai]Ya, make them the most un-business like business cards ever. Don't put a company logo or one of those stupid cartoon clip art things.

Put a picture of the person your cosplaying, something you might have drawn, a really small version of your desktop wallpaper(provided its clean of course), etc..

And of course if worse comes to worse you can always put the Anime Boston logo on there. ;)[/quote]

Yaya! Thats exactly what i did! But we didnt have them printed up in time for AnimeBoston...but i will be bringing them to Portcon, Connecticon and Otakon!

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j186/ ... zzcard.jpg
dokool
Feeds off your tears

Post by dokool »

[quote=socksgirl]Actually I think I heard somewhere that in Japan everyone carries "business cards" around with them, even if they don't work for a business, for the very purpose of exchanging personal contact information. It makes a lot of sense when you think about it because who ever has a pen or paper with them when they need it?

And I just looked into those MOO cards, they look like a great investment, roughly 25 dollars including shipping for 100 cards customized with your own pictures/photos and you can put all your contact info on the back. It would cost 25 dollars in printer ink alone to print all those at home! I think I will have the moo cards for next year for sure![/quote]

The Japan meishi thing is true - even my friends have business cards that their universities print for them. Nice ones, w/ gold embossing and everything.

I wasn't able to set it up in time for AB, but I actually just ordered a box of the MOO cards. I'm looking forward to how they turn out.
DELETED_ACCT23

Post by DELETED_ACCT23 »

I brought business cards, but they were to deem people popes of my religion xD

I think I may integrate the pope cards with my own info cards, I met a ton of cool people