computer video adapters

This forum is dedicated to sharing stories, photos, and other discussion related to Anime Boston 2007.
capybaron
Experienced Poster

computer video adapters

Post by capybaron »

As one of the panelists, I had no problem with computer projection, but those with Macs were unable to locate appropriate video adapters.
At some talks, the attendees had to crowd around the panelist's Mac.
I realize that AV tech can be rather hairy, but it might be useful to increase the number Mac->PC adapters and possibly the other odd ones.
avninja
I'm new!

computer video adapters

Post by avninja »

As one of the Techs that work AB the issue of MAC adapters came up a lot this year. The fact of the matter is when people sign up for a a panel they are told they get VGA and any adapters must be provided by the panelists. In my day job I run into this all the time and I know how impractical it would be for the Tech department of a large convention to carry every Mac to VGA adapter that is out there, especially since we would have to own several of each.
Joe Germani
Senior Tech AB 07
PatrickD
Sometimes mistaken for Vu

computer video adapters

Post by PatrickD »

I agree. I do presentations from time to time at cons, so invested in my own VGA adapter (as well as an RCA/S-Video adapter) for my iBook. I never expect the convention to have an adapter for my iBook, but I would hope they would have VGA. If not, at least I can fall back to RCA.
-Patrick Delahanty
Anime Boston North American Guest Liaison
Co-Founder: Anime Boston and Providence Anime Conference
AnimeCons.com | FanCons.com | The Chibi Project | Anime Unscripted™

View my Convention List
capybaron
Experienced Poster

computer video adapters

Post by capybaron »

the AV Ninja stated:

> The fact of the matter is
> when people sign up for a a panel
> they are told they get VGA
> and any adapters must be provided
> by the panelists.

Umm, I did present a panel and, since my laptop had a VGA output, I had no problems (aside from stage-fright).

However, I have looked at the sign-up URL and the various emails and I seem to be overlooking the VGA restriction. Would someone be so kind as to point out which URLs and/or emails had this information?

Thanks,
Robert
dokool
Feeds off your tears

computer video adapters

Post by dokool »

I have a mac, and I had an adapter (DVI->VGA). Two, in fact, just in case. Don't they always come with the system?

I think it should be common sense that if you're presenting something off a computer, bring backups of whatever dongles/adapters you require, because you never know when A) Tech Ops lacks what you need or B) whatever they have doesn't work for some odd reason.
gmsenpai
Veteran Poster

computer video adapters

Post by gmsenpai »

I know that DVI>VGA adapters typically come with new video cards, but not really with new laptops.

But ya, if you're toting around a laptop I suggest to end users to carry around at least a couple of basic adaptors(LAN cable, USB, mini hub).

Presentation end users should have a little thing for anything that might come up in a presentation area, including a video adapter. Sadly we still live in a PC world despite the rise of Apple. ;)

Self reliance is usually the burden of those who tote around computer stuffs.