Cosplayers Invade Boston Vol. 2

This forum is dedicated to sharing stories, photos, and other discussion related to Anime Boston 2007.
Kurisutaru-Tenten
Veteran Poster

Post by Kurisutaru-Tenten »

Well.........

On Saturday, I was riding down te elevator, and there were this family of 4 gwtting on after me, and I was in my Tenten costume, with my sword and kamas, and when we started riding down, they started talking amongst themselves, and when I got off they just stared at me like ...WTF. It was funny.

ALso, when I went back to school on monday, I saw my realy close friend Keiren, and we were talking about our vacations. So I was saying how I went to a con in boston, and I was staying at the sherinton, and then he said omg i was staying at the sherinton too. I asked him on what days, and he said he was there from wednesday till friday morning, (i didnt get there till friday afternoon) and he was asking me what the heck was going on there. I told him it was an anime con and that we were cosplaying, and then he was like omg thats so cool!

So yeah...
hikura
Veteran Poster

Post by hikura »

[quote=OtakuSakupony]Well, when you have pink hair, you're bound to get lots of stares..When we left the con on Sunday, we stopped at that McDonald's off the exits to get some food. Luckily there was a Shuichi Shindou and Chii cosplayer in there as well, and all the people in there eating were like "O_O" It was great. xD[/quote]
I was wondering i saw a few cosplayers at mcdonalds at one of the rest stops with the said resturant.Where you going west bound(as if you were going towards NY) sunday early evening around 6pm?I saw these cosplayers the rest stop just before I-91.I said i liked the costume.If so that was me.
kitra
Veteran Poster

Post by kitra »

Well, Chibi TS Sakura and me (Neji) went to get breakfast at this little diner thingy and the waitress gave me a sad look.

Waitress: Aw hunny what happened to you?

Me: What? Oh, I'm not hurt. This is for Anime Boston.

Waitress: ....

Me: It's a convention up in Boston. I'm dressing up as a character from Naruto.

Waitress: Okay then. I don't know what animes is but have fun.

Sakura: *clings jacket*
orange87
Getting the hang of this...

Post by orange87 »

The hotel doorman asked if I was a brownie. yes, I [color:orange]demonic[/color] brownie!

I went to a McDonald's in my Domokun suit and probably traumatized some five-year-old in the restaurant.

Then a hobo asked if I had a human face and was not a hallucination.
DeeDee
Expert Poster

Post by DeeDee »

i believed i played illegal!duck duck goose with you. you tagged me, and i told you that your 'bits' were showing. lol
Goodbye heartless paradise!
Draffut

Post by Draffut »

Suprisingly Kankouro's puppets draw alot of attention. Especially over at California Pizza Kitchen. Probobly got asked "what is going on here" over a dozen times between Friday and Saturday.

Most of the time we spent a good 15 seconds or so explaining what Anime is. It was fun regarless though.

Only thing that really irked me was when we were walking to the convention and someone passing by away fro mthe center said something along the line of "If you are gonna dress up, atleast do it right." We only had Kankouro and his first two puppets, didn't want to build the third out of a freaking go-kart and have to drive it around all day. But oh-well. They were in regular clothes, at like 10 a. So I doubt they were from the convention. Just knew what Naruto was.
chaobunny
Committed Poster

Post by chaobunny »

Well in the food court this little boy pointed to me and said, "She looks funny!" And when I ventured further out into the mall after I got picked up, people were staring. It was the kimono or the ears, not sure...

And I got stares at the subway too, on the way home on Saturday. The further away I got from the con and the less people who knew about it, the more stares.
My YouTube Channel

Cosplays for 2015:
Jinora (Legend of Korra)

AMVs
-Somebody Who Cares (2014 Romance Finalist)
-Heartbeat (2013 Drama Finalist)
-SpiritPunch (2012 Other Finalist)
-If I Could Find You Now (2011 Romance Finalist)
-Until The End (2010 Best Romance)
-Falling From Innocence (2010 Drama Finalist)
-In a World Without Sorrow... (2009 Drama Finalist)
-Broken Wings of Love (2009 Romance Finalist)
Danulas
Experienced Poster

Post by Danulas »

My friends and I stayed at the Westin Copley Place pretty much across the street from the mall connected to the convention center.

We were eating breakfast at a place connected to the hotel and the someone from the hotel asked me if the sword I had for my costume was real.

"Manager was concerned..."
genibane
Expert Poster

Post by genibane »

*LOL* I can't imagine what the manager will be thinking about this year!
Phayte
I'm new!

Post by Phayte »

Aside from the ever-present questions of "What is going on?", my friend had a pretty amusing experience.

I have a friend who was dressed in all black, chains, and everything like that. He has piercings all over his face. All in all I think he looks cool. XD When he got to AB, this woman went up to him to ask if she could take a picture for her grandkid, who I guess is really into anime. When she left we all had a good laugh because he wasn't even cosplaying. That's how he always dresses. :p

I think it was a lot more funny at the time.

I just love the weird looks you get from people as your walking around outside of the con. One year I'm going to go as the most out-there looking character I can find, just to relish the stares you get walking by. }:|
zbdarkflame

Post by zbdarkflame »

My experience went a little something like this...

We(my parents and I) were walking through the Sheraton hotel lobby. None of us were cosplaying. We had just gotten on the escalator and a woman in front of us asked what the heck was going on. My dad was the one who answered saying it was an anime convention. When the woman gave him a weird look he clarified saying it was a Japanese Cartoon Convention. She still gave us a weird look. Shortly after that event my dad coined the term, "Were scaring the normals," a term that became more suitable when we heard an announcement to hide weapons when walking through the lobby.

That is my story.
Fetch
Show-off

Post by Fetch »

Sorry zb. "We're scarring the normals." was coined ages ago. Though it is usually heard as "We're scarring the norms.".

I believe it's origin goes back to one of the first large scale sci-fi conventions, back during the 1970s.
PatrickD
AB Staff

Post by PatrickD »

aka "freaking out the mundanes"
It's something that people do but the convention staff don't like to hear about. (Freak out the wrong people and we won't have facilities to return to. Just ask certain other cons.)
-Patrick Delahanty
Anime Boston North American Guest Liaison
Co-Founder: Anime Boston and Providence Anime Conference
AnimeCons.com | FanCons.com | The Chibi Project | Anime Unscripted™

View my Convention List
zbdarkflame

Post by zbdarkflame »

[quote=Fetch]Sorry zb. "We're scarring the normals." was coined ages ago. Though it is usually heard as "We're scarring the norms.".

I believe it's origin goes back to one of the first large scale sci-fi conventions, back during the 1970s.[/quote]

Wow! I dd not realize that it has been around so long. It was the first time I had ever heard it it so I sort of figured... bad idea. Well, I guess you learn a little each day. Thank you for telling me Fetch
Fetch
Show-off

Post by Fetch »

There is a small question as to what group scares norms the most:
Anime fans, Sci-fi fans, or Furries.

I can't give an opinion on it, for a very good reason:
I'm all 3. ^_^
Serrovin
Determined Poster

Post by Serrovin »

its always fun to see the looks on ppls faces and the funny odd questions ppl ask while walking around in costume, all 3 years i cosplayed i got stoped by ppl, nothing note worthy, except when out of costume and in an elevator with the norms and they try to start up a conv about the "freaks and weirdos" and you just try to hold back the sinister grin }:|
05'-Shadow Hunter(YuGiOh)
06'-Maes Hughes(FMA)
07'-Maes Hughes(FMA)
08'-Uryuu Ishida Quincy(Bleach)
09'-Xellos(Slayers)
10'-Uryuu Ishida school uniform(Bleach)
11'-Tobi/Obito/Akatsuki Orochimaru(Naruto)
12'-Kaji Ryoji(Evangelion)
kazekage_of_the_funk
Committed Poster

Post by kazekage_of_the_funk »

well now i wasnt able to make it to 07... but i did and still do get the looks, the audio ( for lack of better words to put the insults into) and the questions, and 9/10 times its when im not cosplaying... lol
< goth freak person thingie
and of course i randomly cosplay once in a blue moon even ig their aren't cosplayers with me
YAY RANDOMNESS
Grayfox

Post by Grayfox »

when I went people thought i was a bit of a nut case, regardless i was kinda hodgepodge and wearing a collar and a headband xD