Final Fantasy Panel

This forum is dedicated to sharing stories, photos, and other discussion related to Anime Boston 2007.
punkstara
Experienced Poster

Final Fantasy Panel

Post by punkstara »

Hey! I hope everyone had a great con. I am one of the people who runs the Final Fantasy & Philosophy panel and I just wanted to say I am really sorry that (once again) people had to be turned away!! It really just bowls me over that so many people show up for it each year! I'm going to do my best to work with con staff to ensure we get a larger room next year, and to those who did make it in thanks for another great panel! And to those who did not I am deeply sorry that you were unable to get in.

Looking forward to AB 08!

And I'm always up for discussions over AIM or email, I can be reached at punkstara @ gmail.com. and my username is also my screen name.

--Amy
Domigan
Experienced Poster

Final Fantasy Panel

Post by Domigan »

I was one of the people that just made the cut. >_>
Seyre
Expert Poster

Final Fantasy Panel

Post by Seyre »

Aww...I got turned away. T_T I really wanted to go, too since I was cosplaying a FF character...oh well, maybe next year. ^^

By the way, what did you guys talk about in there? (I mean specific stuff...cuz I know it obviously deals with Final Fantasy. XD)
punkstara
Experienced Poster

Final Fantasy Panel

Post by punkstara »

Mainly the panel deals with a few recurring themes (Amnesia, main bosses never really being the... main bosses) and some other ideas like Nietzsche's concept of the ubermench and how it applies to Sephiroth. And a ton of stuff we didn't even get to cover because my co-panelist tends to ramble. :blush:

I always feel really terrible when people get turned away. I had asked for a larger room, but I guess we just got a regular sized room. I'm going to make sure to discuss it with whomever is in charge of paneling next year to ensure we get a larger room.
NFGBlinkAC
Expert Poster

Final Fantasy Panel

Post by NFGBlinkAC »

I made it in, but i was in the far back. Next year, if XIII and Versus XIII comes out by then, the panel should focus more on the two new ones.
punkstara
Experienced Poster

Final Fantasy Panel

Post by punkstara »

[quote=NFGBlinkAC]I made it in, but i was in the far back. Next year, if XIII and Versus XIII comes out by then, the panel should focus more on the two new ones.[/quote]

No... I do not believe it should. The previous games are so rich with material and we have been pondering them for YEARS, especially FFVII. I don't think it makes any sense to focus on very recent games that, to be honest? I probably will not have played because they would be for PS3.

The panel's focus is to discuss things in depth, and there just would not be the proper amount of research and ponderings that would be necessary for such a panel.
NFGBlinkAC
Expert Poster

Final Fantasy Panel

Post by NFGBlinkAC »

[quote=punkstara][quote=NFGBlinkAC]I made it in, but i was in the far back. Next year, if XIII and Versus XIII comes out by then, the panel should focus more on the two new ones.[/quote]

No... I do not believe it should. The previous games are so rich with material and we have been pondering them for YEARS, especially FFVII. I don't think it makes any sense to focus on very recent games that, to be honest? I probably will not have played because they would be for PS3.

The panel's focus is to discuss things in depth, and there just would not be the proper amount of research and ponderings that would be necessary for such a panel.[/quote]

True, but the thing with FFXIII is that it is FF's first pre-planned FF to have spin-off's, as well as being the first FF games to be part of the FNC project. It's not going to be like another X-2 or FFVII compilation, this time it's planned before the games come out.

Oh well, the FF panel this year, for my first year attending AB, was interesting and fun. I was actually glad to not see fan-boys yelling at each other over a [insert character here] vs [insert character here] lol

I plan on playing FFXIII and FFvXIII when they come out since it's the main reason why I have a PS3.
punkstara
Experienced Poster

Final Fantasy Panel

Post by punkstara »

[quote=NFGBlinkAC][quote=punkstara][quote=NFGBlinkAC]I made it in, but i was in the far back. Next year, if XIII and Versus XIII comes out by then, the panel should focus more on the two new ones.[/quote]

The panel's focus is to discuss things in depth, and there just would not be the proper amount of research and ponderings that would be necessary for such a panel.[/quote]

True, but the thing with FFXIII is that it is FF's first pre-planned FF to have spin-off's, as well as being the first FF games to be part of the FNC project. It's not going to be like another X-2 or FFVII compilation, this time it's planned before the games come out.

Oh well, the FF panel this year, for my first year attending AB, was interesting and fun. I was actually glad to not see fan-boys yelling at each other over a [insert character here] vs [insert character here] lol

I plan on playing FFXIII and FFvXIII when they come out since it's the main reason why I have a PS3.
[/quote]

I will see how I feel about it when I eventually play it, which will probably just not be immediately after its release. Your suggestion is valid, I was merely explaining that the panel focuses more on earlier games because there has been more time to look into their dynamics and such, as well as a much richer source (especially in the case of FFVII which has prolific canon surrounding it).
NFGBlinkAC
Expert Poster

Final Fantasy Panel

Post by NFGBlinkAC »

[quote=punkstara][quote=NFGBlinkAC][quote=punkstara][quote=NFGBlinkAC]I made it in, but i was in the far back. Next year, if XIII and Versus XIII comes out by then, the panel should focus more on the two new ones.[/quote]

[/quote]

I will see how I feel about it when I eventually play it, which will probably just not be immediately after its release. Your suggestion is valid, I was merely explaining that the panel focuses more on earlier games because there has been more time to look into their dynamics and such, as well as a much richer source (especially in the case of FFVII which has prolific canon surrounding it).
[/quote]

After the panel, i realized how much i miss playing the FF's before VII. However, VII is still my all time favorite game since it's the first RPG I played. I understand why it'd be best to wait while people look at the game more in depth. If you want, I could help out with XIII when it comes out.
SingingVampiress
Getting the hang of this...

Final Fantasy Panel

Post by SingingVampiress »

Hey Amy! I just wanted to tell you that I went to the panel and absolutely loved it! It helped connect the dots for some bits and pieces of stories that i never got on my own. Really good stuff and I can't wait to see what next year brings
Blade21576
Expert Poster

Final Fantasy Panel

Post by Blade21576 »

So the final fantasy panel wasnt that bad I haven't played all of the games so I was kinda lost with amnisa not excisting being a monkey ect. XD well anyways im working on figuring all that out i got ff VIII and X and its going well :p
stardust462
Determined Poster

Final Fantasy Panel

Post by stardust462 »

I was at the panel in '06 and this year and I loved both of them. I remember the long line last year, so I got in line early this time.

Maybe there should just be a huge panel for it in the Main Events hall. I think it would be cool to have a FF Music contest, kind of like the "Anime Name That Tune" contest they had.

Or maybe there should be two panels to help with the amount of people who want to go? But I don't know if you and the other panelist would be up for that. Or maybe have one for just FFVII, since that seems to be the most popular one, and then one for the other games. Or maybe split into two panels one FFI-FFVI, and the other FFVII-FFXII (or FFXIII if it's out yet).

Those are some of the ideas that I've had since the long line formed for the panel. I might send you and e-mail with more thoughts today or tomorrow.
punkstara
Experienced Poster

Final Fantasy Panel

Post by punkstara »

[quote=stardust462]I was at the panel in '06 and this year and I loved both of them. I remember the long line last year, so I got in line early this time.

Maybe there should just be a huge panel for it in the Main Events hall. I think it would be cool to have a FF Music contest, kind of like the "Anime Name That Tune" contest they had.

Or maybe there should be two panels to help with the amount of people who want to go? But I don't know if you and the other panelist would be up for that. Or maybe have one for just FFVII, since that seems to be the most popular one, and then one for the other games. Or maybe split into two panels one FFI-FFVI, and the other FFVII-FFXII (or FFXIII if it's out yet).

Those are some of the ideas that I've had since the long line formed for the panel. I might send you and e-mail with more thoughts today or tomorrow.[/quote]

We had an Overflow panel in '06 but were not given one this year.
dxanato
Getting the hang of this...

Final Fantasy Panel

Post by dxanato »

I was able to making in to the panel and I had great time hearing your theories on FF plot/story. After the panel I felt like I should play FFVII again just cause brought back some many memories of when first play it. I will look forward next year panel.
PapouStarburst
Expert Poster

Final Fantasy Panel

Post by PapouStarburst »

We got in and btw there were about 15 empty seats in the FRONT ROW when they closed the doors. They always do it prematurely and it sucks.
Vanguard
Expert Poster

Final Fantasy Panel

Post by Vanguard »

I went to the panel, and I have a humorous little story to boot. I had brought my laptop with me to the panel, and logged into Final Fantasy XI early in. The hilarious part is that I was sitting next to two cospayers dressed as a Red Mage and Summoner from the game dressed in thier respetive AF gear, who checked out my equipment, the rdm (Theseus I think his name was) even noting that my character was equipped with the same sword he was carrying. (a crimson blade) All the while I'm sharing this info with the members of my Linkshell and they are pretty much dying of laughter.