"Intro to Anime Boston" Panel

This forum is for discussion about Anime Boston's panel and workshop programming.
putrocca
AB Alumni

Post by putrocca »

It's been suggested that someone organize an "Intro to Anime Boston" Panel. Unlike "Cons 101" which is aimed at people who have never been to a con before, this would be an overview of AB itself, with some general con guidelines like discussions of con conduct, the different sections of the con and its structure, but also the con's specific characteristics, such as its signature programming. Discussions of the surrounding area, where to eat for example, would also be appropriate. It's been suggested that possibly staff reps from different elements of the con could attend, though this might be hard to organize.

Who would be interested in being on such a panel? What content would you suggest the panel cover?

Our suggestion list so far:

Programming:
AMVs
Cosplay (general)
Masquerade
Other cosplay events
Cos-plot & Catch the Barrel rules
Karaoke
Gaming (video)
Gaming (live)
Dance
Panels & Workshops
Video Showings
18+ Programming

Exhibits:
Dealers' Room
Artists' Alley & Art Show
Charity Auction
Swap Meet

Ops:
Security
Weapons policy
"Getting around Boston"

Rep from Guest Relations for tips on Autograph policy etc.

Other suggestions? Volunteers?
Ada "K-san" Anime Boston Cosplay Games Coordinator
Cosplay Chess - Anime Dating Game - Cosplot - All Sorts of Ways to Make Cosplayers Happy
R.I.P. Anime Boston's K-san, devoured by zombies on Aizen's orders, at Cosplay Chess 2012. Team Evil will pay!
Zepka
Obsessed Poster

Post by Zepka »

[quote=putrocca]It's been suggested that someone organize an "Intro to Anime Boston" Panel. Unlike "Cons 101" which is aimed at people who have never been to a con before, this would be an overview of AB itself, with some general con guidelines like discussions of con conduct, the different sections of the con and its structure, but also the con's specific characteristics, such as its signature programming. Discussions of the surrounding area, where to eat for example, would also be appropriate. It's been suggested that possibly staff reps from different elements of the con could attend, though this might be hard to organize.

Who would be interested in being on such a panel? What content would you suggest the panel cover?

Our suggestion list so far:

Programming:
AMVs
Cosplay (general)
Masquerade
Other cosplay events
Cos-plot & Catch the Barrel rules
Karaoke
Gaming (video)
Gaming (live)
Dance
Panels & Workshops
Video Showings
18+ Programming

Exhibits:
Dealers' Room
Artists' Alley & Art Show
Charity Auction
Swap Meet

Ops:
Security
Weapons policy
"Getting around Boston"

Rep from Guest Relations for tips on Autograph policy etc.

Other suggestions? Volunteers?[/quote]

Ada i wouldnt mind talking about the cos-plot. im not the only person invovled, but im one of the people from last year. i could also talk about the barrel game....i know the rules pretty well

i know Lyndsey is pretty good with AMV, and she could talk about those and the contest itself.

And there are alot of peopel who could talk about cosplay in general...that one is broad and could be done by alot of people.

main point being, im up to help out Ada
Joey "Zepka" Pellegrino
Anime Boston Cosplay Games Staff - Coordinator 2022

Anime Boston Cosplay Games Staff 2014-2022
putrocca
AB Alumni

Post by putrocca »

I agree, you and Kiarrens could cover a lot between you. Others?
Cosplay Chess - Anime Dating Game - Cosplot - All Sorts of Ways to Make Cosplayers Happy
R.I.P. Anime Boston's K-san, devoured by zombies on Aizen's orders, at Cosplay Chess 2012. Team Evil will pay!
Zepka
Obsessed Poster

Post by Zepka »

hmm id have to look around, the best hting would be to also ask in the group so that we can see if anyone else has the skills to help out.

if mario is around wouldnt he be a good one to have around? alot of the people in the group could do this.

we wouldnt be in cosplay right?
Joey "Zepka" Pellegrino

kiarrens
The Lone Mod

Post by kiarrens »

[quote=putrocca]I agree, you and Kiarrens could cover a lot between you. Others?[/quote]
I will, if I have time. :( If this is early enough on Friday, which I imagine it would have to be to be effective, then I doubt it would conflict with any of the other panels and events I'm in. So long as you don't mind having a monster on the panel, seeing as how I'll be Xellos most of Friday. }:|
Lyndsey Luther
Masquerade Coordinator 2015 - 2022
Assistant Director of Programming - Cosplay Division 2019
Assistant Masquerade Coordinator 2013 - 2014
Cosplay Chess Coordinator 2009 -2014
Attendee 2003 - 2009

The Anime Boston Masquerade Staff Creed: "It's our job to panic so you don't have to."
Ficus
AB Staff

Post by Ficus »

Just try not to stretch yourself out too thin this year Kiarrens. Sounds like you're gonna be doing a lot. Just make sure to plan some down time for yourself.
Ah, it doesnt look like you guys would need me. (I'v still yet to be in any actuall events, yet) But I know I'll end up dragging some of my friends to the panel if you have it. I've finally convinced several of them to attend a con, but its getting tiring to have to explain the cosplot and why the barrels are so important, at least ten times.
If I could help out at all, just call.
Ashley Shaffer
Cosplay Gatherings and Photosets Staff- 2024
Zepka
Obsessed Poster

Post by Zepka »

[quote=Ficus]Just try not to stretch yourself out too thin this year Kiarrens. Sounds like you're gonna be doing a lot. Just make sure to plan some down time for yourself.
Ah, it doesnt look like you guys would need me. (I'v still yet to be in any actuall events, yet) But I know I'll end up dragging some of my friends to the panel if you have it. I've finally convinced several of them to attend a con, but its getting tiring to have to explain the cosplot and why the barrels are so important, at least ten times.
If I could help out at all, just call.[/quote]

well we all have aloton our plates, but it would be nice if we could pull it off. the thing is we need to know all times so that we can plan around them

fisucs your help sounds good...what do you say Ada
Joey "Zepka" Pellegrino

kiarrens
The Lone Mod

Post by kiarrens »

[quote=Zepka]
well we all have aloton our plates, but it would be nice if we could pull it off. the thing is we need to know all times so that we can plan around them

fisucs your help sounds good...what do you say Ada[/quote]
Down time? What's down time? :D
I anticipate being able to sleep, and maybe eat once or twice during the course of the con. ^^ Seriously though, this is why I carry my suitcase around with me as Ed. I have water and food in it, maybe I should stick a pillow in there too so I can take a nap if I ever have a few seconds. :D
Anyway, yeah. Count me in if it'll be early on Friday.
Lyndsey Luther
Attendee 2003 - 2009

The Anime Boston Masquerade Staff Creed: "It's our job to panic so you don't have to."
LadyHawke
AB Alumni

Post by LadyHawke »

Mmmm... panelists in costume... I would think it would be more appropriate and professional NOT to be in costume for panels, but that's just my opinion. (I had not choice BUT to be in costume for my panels at Manganext since they screwed us in scheduling.)

I would actually prefer Staff on this panel. For instance, for AMV, I would offer a panel position to Adam first. Then, I would def. consider someone like Kiarrens or Dokool who have competed for years and know the rules.

If this is going to be a panel on Anime Boston, I would like to see it primarily run by Staff simply to ensure the integrity of the information presented. A lot of times, small rule and regulation changes ho on behind the scenes that most attendees would not be aware of. What I do not want to see would be that questions were getting asked by audience members, and incorrect information was being disseminated by panelist because they simply are not aware of the correct information.

I am going to begin discussion of this in the Staff forums, and see if there is support from that angle.
~~ Jeni
2012 Guest Relations Division - Green Room Staff

"It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get Permission" -- RADM Grace Murray Hopper - U.S. Navy
putrocca
AB Alumni

Post by putrocca »

My hope was that these enthusiastic attendee panelists would volunteer to do the work of organizing and introducing the panel, and would act as moderators introducing representative staff speakers sent by all the different divisions and departments which are interested in being represented - ultimate teamwork between staff and helpful attendees.

We'll have to see what the staff thread consensus is and then post here again.
putrocca
AB Alumni

Post by putrocca »

OK - the staff consensus is that we're open to the idea of doing this panel jointly with attendees, by having attendees organize and run it, with some staff representatives coming to speak briefly about their respective departments. We're still not sure yet (A) how exactly it would work, or (B) which staff precisely would come.

Thus, my request to those attendees interested in running such a panel is this: could you draft and post here a proposed outline for how the panel would run? Please include what topics would be covered in what order, with estimated times for each. Leave time for Q&A. Please draft it assuming that there will be three or four staff representatives there, including one for Security, me for cosplay/masq events, and up to two more not yet decided, possibly one general administrative rep and one from guests/autugraphs, but it could be different.

Can you write up such a proposal? Once staff see clearly what you have in mind then hopefully we can make a final plan.

Thanks - can't wait to see what you come up with!
Phantom 1
Committed Poster

Post by Phantom 1 »

Isn't that what the opening ceremonies are for?
Dragonmaster Lou
AB Staff

Post by Dragonmaster Lou »

[quote=Phantom 1]Isn't that what the opening ceremonies are for? [/quote]

Nope, opening ceremonies are more of a skit to commence the con, play up on the theme, introduce perhaps some special guests, etc. This is more of a "Cool things about and that you can do at Anime Boston" pane.
"Dragonmaster" Lou Arruda
Panels Programming Coordinator 2008-2014
Programming Operations Staff 2015-2019
Autographs Staff 2022-

Doth thou desire the power?
My fist is the divine breath! Blossom, o fallen seed, and draw upon thy hidden powers!!
Grant unto thee the power of the glorious 'Mother of Destruction'!
Rhys Ifane
AB Alumni

Post by Rhys Ifane »

Well here's some topics that could be covered.

-autograph sessions
-main events
-cosplay
-common security concerns
-planning your day
-gatherings/photoshoots
-guests
-masquerade HQ
-18+ events
-do's and don't's
-dealer's room
David Burke
Cosplay Games Staff 2014-2019
Masquerade Staff 2020
Ficus
AB Staff

Post by Ficus »

I'd add Artists Alley if we got Dealer's room on the list.
The bulletin boards are also a good topic to mention. (along with the above)
Ashley Shaffer
Cosplay Gatherings and Photosets Staff- 2024
kiarrens
The Lone Mod

Post by kiarrens »

Oi, guys, did anyone submit an app for this? I can finally say that YES I can be a panelist for it - since I won't be doing much on Friday morning other than masq. judging, and I think that'll be a little later in the afternoon anyway.
Lyndsey Luther
Attendee 2003 - 2009