Building and Painting Plastic Models 2018 (Gundams, Figures, etc.)

This forum is for discussion about Anime Boston's panel and workshop programming.
tetsujin
Veteran Poster

Building and Painting Plastic Models 2018 (Gundams, Figures, etc.)

Post by tetsujin »

Hey everybody! I'll be hosting a panel teaching model-making techniques as they're applied to anime mecha, vehicles, figures, etc. My background is primarily in mecha kits like Gundam but the techniques are broadly applicable to all types of plastic models. (I am less experienced when it comes to figure models, but I believe the panel will still be of value to people getting started in figure modeling... And if you happen to be an experienced modeler yourself, then please, come share your knowledge, too!)

The class will have a panel format but some of the decisions about what material to cover will be made in response to the interests of the attendees. Attendees are also invited to use the event to ask questions about their own work, either by bringing the model in, or bringing good, well-focused, high resolution pictures for us to put up on the projector. The only catch is you have to be okay with sharing the work with everyone in attendance and having frank, constructive discussion of its merits and flaws. I believe this helps everyone: the modeler gains some insight and direct feedback on their work, everyone else gets the benefit of seeing the issues we discuss in the context of an actual model, rather than in more abstract terms.

I have run other instructional modeling programs at Anime Boston in the past: Particularly, the "Mecha Modeling Workshop" which ran from 2004 (pre-convention center days!) through about 2008 or so. That workshop was long (seriously, the first one was 6 hours long! We were insane!), with a fairly rigid and very beginner-oriented agenda. Its main benefit was that it was hands-on: instructional segments were interspersed with work segments in which attendees were encouraged to try the techniques themselves with guidance and assistance from the panelists. This time around my aim is to provide a program that's less demanding (for the attendees, too) and more flexible, that still provides at least the interactive nature of the program but allows for covering a broader range of topics depending on people's interests.

I'll do my best to make this a helpful and informative program for everyone involved. I look forward to seeing you at the con!
tetsujin
Veteran Poster

Re: Building and Painting Plastic Models 2018 (Gundams, Figures, etc.)

Post by tetsujin »

So I hope everybody's looking forward to this thing! I really want this panel to serve the audience, and involve the audience, and that can cover a lot of ground: Not only the techniques of modeling, but the whole approach, how we view the work, how we think about our hobby goals.

I hope some of you will come with models of your own to share during the panel as well: Either the actual models or photos I can put on the projector. (Either send me photos ahead of time, or bring a USB drive...) I'll be prepared to show some of my work, of course, but I'd like the critique and discussion segments to serve as an opportunity for other people to get involved.

I'd like to encourage people to get involved in the Art Show as well: display your models there if you have something to share, and go check out the work on display if you have time, and try to really think about what you see there. What impression does it make on you, and why? How can we take that insight and turn it into processes that help us make better models? If a model is shown at the art show, and at the panel via the projector, we have more time to see the work and think about it before discussing it.
Haru
Veteran Poster

Post by Haru »

This sounds like a really interesting topic and I would love to attend it however, I am running a panel myself during the same time slot.

Back in 2016 when I was living in Japan I bought almost the complete Frame Arms Girls series of model kits and assembled them in my spare time on the many rainy days. They survived the trip back from Japan rather well, and if I was able to attend your panel I could bring them to show off. I do have a simple picture of one of the larger and complex kits in the series I spent two days putting together. I could send that along if you want so you could use it in your panel.
AB 2018 Featured Panelist!
Mongols Can’t Swim: Touring the Battlefields of the Mongol Invasion of Japan
Gaijins, Girls, and Guns: America in Japanese Pop Culture
Yanderes 2.Oh Hell No! (18+)
Stringed Instruments of Japan
Titans vs. Mecha . . . In Space!
Orange is the new black: Love, Loss, and Science Fiction
The Gundam and the Cross: Religious Symbolism in Gundam Seed
tetsujin
Veteran Poster

Post by tetsujin »

Aw, sorry you're not going to be able to make it! What panel are you running?

If you can't make it to my panel on Friday you should go to "Building Gundams with Overnight Security" on Sunday morning. Basically just a fun, casual build gathering at the con. It's become one of my favorite con traditions.

You might consider bringing a model or two to the con and displaying them in the art show. I'll be bringing a few again this year myself. I think it's good to get work out where it can be seen, and not necessarily by the people who actively seek it out online. (Though to participate in the art show it's best to sign up for it before the con: the deadline for that is on the 27th. The art show page is largely targeted at people trying to sell work at the show, but you can exhibit work there without selling it)

If you'd like to send me pictures of one of your models then, by all means, go for it! PM me or something and we can work out the details. My goals with that part of the presentation are to give people a chance to share their stuff and talk about it and get everybody else to think about what they see. Can't get the full effect if you're not there but you can send me the photos and whatever you'd like to say about it.
tetsujin
Veteran Poster

Post by tetsujin »

Side note: I learned from another thread that this year at AB there's actually a whole room dedicated to building Gundams and stuff! Hynes 111, kind of between the two Dealer Room entrances, but on the other side of the hallway. This is also where the "Overnight Security" event is happening on Sunday.
I'm planning to head down there after my panel, so if anybody cares to join me you're certainly welcome!
tetsujin
Veteran Poster

Post by tetsujin »

I hope everybody enjoyed the panel. In retrospect, I think the panel in its current form isn't up to the standards I want for it - off-hand I think I got too mired in some of the really basic, beginner-level stuff and didn't have good enough coverage of the more intermediate and advanced-level stuff. I also had intended the panel to be a little bit more audience-directed and for the most part I don't feel like I really succeeded at that. I'm planning to give it another try in 2019, rework the presentation materials and work on the delivery so it serves you guys better.

Anyway, I hope it was a good time despite the various rough edges.