Panel Ideas For Anime Boston 2018

This forum is for discussion about Anime Boston's panel and workshop programming.
tehscribbles
AB Staff

Panel Ideas For Anime Boston 2018

Post by tehscribbles »

Hi Everyone!

Our panel team has come up with some panel ideas that we'd love to see submitted! These are just a few, but I'm sure more will pop up later as they cross our mind.

Japanese Commercial Panel
The history and evolution of Japanese commercials.

Japanese sports in comparing to American sports
The difference and similarities of sports between the United States of America and Japan.

How Fukushima affected Japan’s culture

The recovery and rehabilitation development of Japan after the Fukushima Nuclear Incident.

Dating in Japan
The culture and social habits of dating in Japan.

Japanese Economy and the influences it has on America
A breakdown on how Japan influences the American market from manga book and/or anime to major international financial/business transactions.

All about Japan’s trains
The development and evolution of subways, commuter rail, and regional rail systems in Japan.

How could they eat that? Japanese food culture
An exploration into native and international japanese foods. Panels can showcase the cultural, innovative, and eccentric dishes of Japan.

Japanese Festivals
Looking into the various matsuri/festivals of Japan and how they integrate the cultural, social, and religious traditions of Japanese natives.

Japanese fashion in formal situations
Japanese garments that you would wear at various formal gatherings such as but not limited to weddings, dance, funerals, job interviews, temple, and more.

Anime Internationally (How anime is viewed around the world)
Focusing on the various ways anime is interpreted across the 7 continents and how it has impacted international culture outside of japan. Ex. Nintendo, Pokemon, Hello Kitty, and more.

Japanese Mascots
A look into the various mascots of Japanese Companies, Anime Studios, and even local prefectures. Ex. Tama the Trainmaster, Hello Kitty, Domo-Kun, Chibi characters.

The art of the Samurai
How samurai culture came into existence and the the cultural impact it had on Japan and the world. Ex. The Seven Samurai, Samurai Champloo, Samurai Jack, Oda Nobunaga, etc.

The art of the Ninja
The practice of ninjitsu in the past and how it has progressed to modern day. How ninjitsu has influenced anime culture including major hit series like Naruto, Ninja Scroll, and more.
Kate-lyn Skribiski Gingerich (Scribbles)
Programming Logistics Coordinator
Xias
Veteran Poster

Re: Panel Ideas For Anime Boston 2018

Post by Xias »

The train one is a great idea that I might actually be interested in doing. I went to a museum on Japanese trains in Nagoya in August and it was extremely interesting, there probably is more than enough material to fill a 1 hour panel.....
Panelist, Anime Boston 2014-2019
Presenting 3 panels at AB 2019
-New Japan Pro Wrestling
-Japan Travel Tips: Planning Your First Trip
-Bemani: From DDR to IIDX to SDVX
H. Guderian
Obsessed Poster

Post by H. Guderian »

A few of these I could touch on, but I don't think I'd have enough content to bring them to a full presentation. I think one of these I could do, I have the books for the research already.
Aurabolt
I'm Special!

Post by Aurabolt »

...I spoke to one of the Engineers who works for Japan's version of the MBTA. He was thoroughly impressed to see that like Japan, Boston has a deep and long history with its railway system. The Engineer I spoke to was at the Japan Boston Festival two years ago. He was back last year and said they'll be back every year to showcase Japan's railway system.

...Might not be a bad idea to reach out next year and see if they might be interested in doing a 1-hour presentation at AB.
Serene Adventure on Wordpress
Aurabolt's Anime Blog
Attendee from 2010 to 2018. Ran multiple panels at AB from 2012 to 2016. Plans to return as a panelist in 2023 or 2024!

...All-around nice guy. Please subscribe to both blogs, especially the second one for Anime and Manga-related news or updates ^_^
GeoFreak
I'm new!

Post by GeoFreak »

I actually saw the Japanese trains idea in the list, and I decided to do it myself! I've been to the museum that Xias mentioned (as well as the two other JR museums), and I'll definitely mention them in my presentation.
Aurabolt wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:05 pm ...I spoke to one of the Engineers who works for Japan's version of the MBTA. He was thoroughly impressed to see that like Japan, Boston has a deep and long history with its railway system. The Engineer I spoke to was at the Japan Boston Festival two years ago. He was back last year and said they'll be back every year to showcase Japan's railway system.

...Might not be a bad idea to reach out next year and see if they might be interested in doing a 1-hour presentation at AB.
If you mean JR Central, I've seen the booth you're talking about, and I also know a few guys there. I might try to get feedback from one of them on my panel presentation (which I'm kinda procrastinating on lol).
FanimeCon 2007-2013
Anime Boston 2014-2018

2018 Panelist: All About Japanese Trains
Friday, March 30, 2:30 pm, Sheraton Panel Public Garden
Aurabolt
I'm Special!

Post by Aurabolt »

Yep, that's the company ^_^

This is out of left field but there are two Japanese Railway sims you can buy via the Nintendo 3DS. I have one of them and just found out about the other a few days ago. The rail sim puts you in the cab and has the look and feel of running a train in Japan complete with the ambiance. I can show you the game if you the game if you'll be at Pre-Registration if you want.
Serene Adventure on Wordpress
Aurabolt's Anime Blog
Attendee from 2010 to 2018. Ran multiple panels at AB from 2012 to 2016. Plans to return as a panelist in 2023 or 2024!

...All-around nice guy. Please subscribe to both blogs, especially the second one for Anime and Manga-related news or updates ^_^
GeoFreak
I'm new!

Post by GeoFreak »

Aurabolt wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:03 am Yep, that's the company ^_^

This is out of left field but there are two Japanese Railway sims you can buy via the Nintendo 3DS. I have one of them and just found out about the other a few days ago. The rail sim puts you in the cab and has the look and feel of running a train in Japan complete with the ambiance. I can show you the game if you the game if you'll be at Pre-Registration if you want.
Cool, I've read about those games but have never tried them. I saw that you're going to the panelist dinner, so hopefully I'll see you there!
FanimeCon 2007-2013
Anime Boston 2014-2018

2018 Panelist: All About Japanese Trains
Friday, March 30, 2:30 pm, Sheraton Panel Public Garden