Panel suggestion for someone else: "Buying from Japan"

This forum is for discussion about Anime Boston's panel and workshop programming.
DocWatson
Dedicated Poster

Panel suggestion for someone else: "Buying from Japan"

Post by DocWatson »

I have some knowledge about the subject, but I'd like to hear from an expert.
tetsujin
Veteran Poster

Re: Panel suggestion for someone else: "Buying from Japan"

Post by tetsujin »

While it's possible "someone else" will read this thread and decide they'd really like to use your suggestion, submit it to the panel coordinator toward the end of this year, and do all the work to make the thing come together... I don't think it's gonna happen personally.

Personally, the thing that got me into doing panels at cons was this realization that it's a waste of time to hope for "someone else" to come along and create the panel that I wanted to happen at the con. I wanted more model-making content at the con, but something like that doesn't just materialize out of nowhere. I realized I had to stop thinking "someone" would make this happen, and instead focus on making it happen.

So that's my suggestion for you: If you don't have people stepping up to attempt these panels already, it's probably not going to happen. If you want the panels to happen, make 'em happen yourself.
Aurabolt
I'm Special!

Re: Panel suggestion for someone else: "Buying from Japan"

Post by Aurabolt »

tetsujin wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:23 pm While it's possible "someone else" will read this thread and decide they'd really like to use your suggestion, submit it to the panel coordinator toward the end of this year, and do all the work to make the thing come together... I don't think it's gonna happen personally.

Personally, the thing that got me into doing panels at cons was this realization that it's a waste of time to hope for "someone else" to come along and create the panel that I wanted to happen at the con. I wanted more model-making content at the con, but something like that doesn't just materialize out of nowhere. I realized I had to stop thinking "someone" would make this happen, and instead focus on making it happen.

So that's my suggestion for you: If you don't have people stepping up to attempt these panels already, it's probably not going to happen. If you want the panels to happen, make 'em happen yourself.
...My thoughts exactly.

That's how I got into doing Panels in 2011. The year before, I attended a panel and thought to myself "I can do this much better". So, I did the following year. I went on to run panels for 5 straight years and each year I did at least two panels. The main reason I did my panels was to show folks anyone can be a panelist if they really want to first and they're willing to put in the work second. If you don't feel confident doing a panel solo like I do, find someone to do the panel with you. That's what more and more people are doing I've notice actually.

I consider myself retired as a panelist as of last year now though. I felt it was time for me to step aside and let someone who might be having their first experience as a panelist have a go. Plus like I said I did at least two panels a year. I always did my panels Sunday or Saturday night so my odds of getting slotted were a bit higher during those times. Plus it helped I always did panels that were huge draws so...yeah.
Serene Adventure on Wordpress
Aurabolt's Anime Blog
Attendee from 2010 to 2018. Ran multiple panels at AB from 2012 to 2016. Plans to return as a panelist in 2023 or 2024!

...All-around nice guy. Please subscribe to both blogs, especially the second one for Anime and Manga-related news or updates ^_^