Is preregistration required for the 50% fan panel?

This forum is for discussion about Anime Boston's panel and workshop programming.
animemama
I'm new!

Is preregistration required for the 50% fan panel?

Post by animemama »

Hi! Am registered to attend AB for the 1st, but I can't figure out if I need to advance reg to attend panel discussions...specifically the 50% off fan panel. If I do, can someone advise how to do this? Thanks!
lordofvt
AB Staff

Re: Is preregistration required for the 50% fan panel?

Post by lordofvt »

None of the panels or events require any registrations to attend them at the con (50% off included).

The exception to this is participation in the Masquerade or Cosplay Games which does require advance applications. Attending any of these events would also not require any registration.

A few events will require tickets which information is located here, http://animeboston.com/news/article/638
Andrew Reckers
Schedule Coordinator 2021-2022
Director of Programming 2015-2020
Xias
Veteran Poster

Post by Xias »

animemama wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:23 am Hi! Am registered to attend AB for the 1st, but I can't figure out if I need to advance reg to attend panel discussions...specifically the 50% off fan panel. If I do, can someone advise how to do this? Thanks!
As Andrew said you don't have to preregister for panels, but on the flip side of this if you have reason to believe a particular panel will be extremely popular or well-attended, you might want to look at what size panel room it is being hosted in and line up relatively early, because you could end up not getting in if you try to show up right at the scheduled time. Generally for panels in the really large rooms (Hall D, Panel A, Panel C, Panel 302/304 [tho this one is a little more borderline I think], and the two Constitution rooms in the Sheraton) you can probably walk right in at the scheduled time and get a seat. Of course, it won't be a particularly GOOD seat, but you'll get a seat. On the other hand, anything that looks like it might be popular in one of the other, much smaller rooms (rooms that generally seat around 150-200 attendees) you will probably need to line up well ahead of time to guarantee yourself a seat. I would say anywhere from 15-30 minutes before the panel you should be fine in almost all circumstances.

Actually now that I think about this the only panel hosted in Panel C is Bad Anime Bad I think, which I believe DID fill up last year, so uh. Use caution!
Panelist, Anime Boston 2014-2019
Presenting 3 panels at AB 2019
-New Japan Pro Wrestling
-Japan Travel Tips: Planning Your First Trip
-Bemani: From DDR to IIDX to SDVX
basharoftheages
Under a bridge

Post by basharoftheages »

Probably worth noting, despite the odd classification choice used in the schedule, nothing in Hynes 312, The Fan Creations room, is an actual "panel." Everything is a curated block of AMVs or a screening of a fan parody. A few of the things on our schedule (5 this year) are put on by non-staff, who are considered panelists because they put on content for us in exchange for badges. There's little to no talking involved in any of them; certainly not enough to classify it as a panel in the way "panel" is normally understood. Last year most of our content was classified as "video" which isn't technically correct either - neither category really fits. If anything, the same categorization as the AMV contest would be appropriate - Event.
Justin Corriveau - Fan Creations Co-Coordinator (2023-2024)
Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2022)
Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator (2008-2016)