Tokyo Travel Tips for Timid Tourists

This forum is for discussion about Anime Boston's panel and workshop programming.
Xias
Veteran Poster

Tokyo Travel Tips for Timid Tourists

Post by Xias »

I'm excited to be bringing an entirely new panel to Anime Boston this year (and in fact this will be my first time presenting it at any con): Tokyo Travel Tips for Timid Tourists! As the name implies, this is designed to be a complete beginner's guide for someone who has always wanted to travel to Tokyo but has no idea where to start. I went to Japan for the first time last year and am currently planning a large group trip for this August, so I've collected a lot of information from all across the internet, plus from my own personal experience, to try and provide you with a great starting point. Basically this panel will save you the time & energy of spending hours researching across the internet like I did!

To give you an idea of all the stuff we'll attempt to cover in this panel, here's the panel outline:

Transportation: Getting to and Around Tokyo
-Airfare: When to go, Airports
-Trains: Japan Rail Pass?, JR vs Subway vs Private Rail, Shinkansen
-Other Travel Notes: Buses, Taxis, When’s the last train?
Lodging, Food, and Drink: Staying alive in Tokyo
-Where to stay? Hotel vs. AirBNB, Other Options
-Where to eat and drink? Restaurants, Izakaya, Bars, Fast food, Etc.
-Smoking: It happens everywhere indoors in Japan. How to deal with it (if you are sensitive to smoke pay special attention to this!)
Favorite Spots and Day Trips: Where to go in Tokyo
-A few personal recommendations in various Tokyo neighborhoods. (focusing on otaku shopping/arcades/etc)
-Easy daytrip suggestions from Tokyo

If you have any questions for the panel, please bring them and I will do my best to answer them! You could also ask them in this thread ahead of time if you are shy and I will try to bring answers with me to the panel.

Tokyo Travel Tips for Timid Tourists is currently scheduled to take place on Saturday, April 1st at 12:00 pm in Sheraton Panel Garden. Hope to see you there!
Panelist, Anime Boston 2014-2019
Presenting 3 panels at AB 2019
-New Japan Pro Wrestling
-Japan Travel Tips: Planning Your First Trip
-Bemani: From DDR to IIDX to SDVX
MrowrMix
Getting the hang of this...

Re: Tokyo Travel Tips for Timid Tourists

Post by MrowrMix »

Your slideshow seems like it would be a very good general resource. Do you think you could make your PowerPoint and notes available online? I think this would be helpful not only for general reference but also for people who couldn't go to your panel or were late/had to leave early because of lines and other panels.

Great panel! Thanks!

EDIT: I posted this during the middle of your panel. Lol. I know that you said you would take emails at the end of the panel and email your notes out. I had to leave early for another panel. Are you able to PM your notes or should I PM my email address to you?

Thanks again!! :)
Xias
Veteran Poster

Re: Tokyo Travel Tips for Timid Tourists

Post by Xias »

I don't really want to post my powerpoint or notes online, but I can certainly add you to my list of people I'll be emailing them to when I get home from the convention. Just PM me your email address. This goes for anyone else on here who wants them as well. Thanks, glad you enjoyed my panel!
Panelist, Anime Boston 2014-2019
Presenting 3 panels at AB 2019
-New Japan Pro Wrestling
-Japan Travel Tips: Planning Your First Trip
-Bemani: From DDR to IIDX to SDVX