General call for old farts!

This forum is for discussion about Anime Boston's panel and workshop programming.
jamesawolf@comcast.net
Expert Poster

General call for old farts!

Post by jamesawolf@comcast.net »

My 'Get off My Lawn' panel has been approved, so thems of us of the onion on our belt generation contact me!

If you were not around for the first Bush President, don't bother. You're too young!
Anna-neko
AB Alumni

Re: General call for old farts!

Post by Anna-neko »

*raises hand* have some fuzzy memories of Bush & my school asking us idiot children what we think of him vs Clinton in the race in '92

My earliest "this is legit anime, I'm sure now!" involved watching Ronin Warriors on WB56, and then they had ads for this other sparkly show with girls in miniskirts with giant bows and it's been a goddamn anime otaku life since
Maid Cafe - '18, '19, '22

why, yes, I have been goin to this con since day 1. Wanna brain-break on the age math?
H. Guderian
Obsessed Poster

Post by H. Guderian »

With this year's theme I would be struck if this panel didn't return. If I can squeeze by, I will try. I rememeber when Desert Storm was on the news as a kid and had been on/off anime for sometime. But once I became a tried and tested Otaku I went back to The Classics, while keeping up with what is new. Sometimes. I've fallen behind on catching up and fallen behind on keeping up.
Thisisausername
Expert Poster

Post by Thisisausername »

You guys are making me feel super old. I remember when Pokemon was new.
Selestyl
Determined Poster

Post by Selestyl »

I think I'm just on that border of "too young" for this panel, lol. Will I be beaned with lawn chairs if I stop by?
2023 Lineup:

Luigi - Luigi’s Mansion
Joker - Persona 5
Barnaby Brooks Jr. - Tiger and Bunny
Master of NERV
Dedicated Poster

Post by Master of NERV »

Just checking my "old fart" credentials here... 8-)

First anime I can remember was a show shot on black-and-white film stock--not that it mattered, since I was watching it on a black-and-white TV...
AB 2003-2023 -- pre-reged for 2024!
2006, '12, '13: Commander Ikari (Evangelion)
2007: Dr. Akai (Maburaho)
Fetch
Show-off

Post by Fetch »

When Pokémon premiered in the US, I was 20.
Anna-neko
AB Alumni

Post by Anna-neko »

oh please, we all remember when Pokemon was new and everyone went crazy over that ONE seizure episode

and suddenly all the pearl-clutching over "graphic japanese cartoons on American television" and "won't someone think of the children!!".... and this while was in HighSchool so honestly it was hilarious to watch all the freaking out from loud adults who had no idea what they were screaming about

now who remembers goin to grandma's house to 'borrow' her VCR to hook up to yours to copy some fansubs! Anyone??
Maid Cafe - '18, '19, '22

why, yes, I have been goin to this con since day 1. Wanna brain-break on the age math?
Nanashi9
Getting the hang of this...

Post by Nanashi9 »

Sounds like fun I have been looking for some classic discussions my favorite memories are when I was little (early 80's roughly) and watching Beast King Go Lion (Voltron) Cyborg 009, Astroboy, He- Man, Thundercats, and many other legendary Cartoons (They were not really called Anime at that time). I am glad the panel got approved sounds like many memories will be shared ^_^
"All life demands struggle. Those who have everything given to them become lazy, selfish, and insensitive to the real values of life. The very striving and hard work that we so constantly try to avoid is the major building block in the person we are today."

- Pope Paul VI
Varmit33
I'm new!

Post by Varmit33 »

I guess I fit this bill I remember when Carter was pez and watching Star Blazers and Battle of the plant on WB56. Sounds like fun
Lamron
AB Staff

Post by Lamron »

I also go back to Star Blazers and Battle of the Planets (aka Gatchaman)
Ray DeArville

Event photo staff 2022 - 2024

Event photo staff 2020 - 2021

Past ABs 05 - 10, 13 - 19
H. Guderian
Obsessed Poster

Post by H. Guderian »

I sadly must host a panel opposite this. Carry on in my place. Don't let those kids on the lawn.