Educational vs. Ask Panels?

This forum is for discussion about Anime Boston's panel and workshop programming.
Mina Finn
Veteran Poster

Educational vs. Ask Panels?

Post by Mina Finn » Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:59 pm

I don't remember who, but someone on the forums mentioned that from now on, Anime Boston will only accept educational panels, and no ask panels. Is this true?
they/them pronouns, please

AB 2016 Cosplay Lineup

Friday: Sasha Braus (Attack on Titan) in the Cosplay Death Match
Saturday: Sasha Braus (Attack on Titan) in the Cosplay Couples Game/Medusa Gorgon (Soul Eater) in Cosplay Family Feud
Sunday: Patty Thompson (Soul Eater) in Cosplay Chess (SITCAS)

Next Con

UCon @ UConn

Instagram

@forever.withyoursoul

tehscribbles
AB Asst Director

Re: Educational vs. Ask Panels?

Post by tehscribbles » Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:58 pm

Every year, Anime Boston receives hundreds of panel submissions. Some of these are inevitably of the format of "fans ask characters in Cosplay questions." While these panels can have a place in some contexts, generally Anime Boston is not one of those.

If you're interested in panels that allow you to discuss certain aspects of anime, generally academic seminar type discussions would be preferred.
Kate-lyn Skribiski Gingerich (Scribbles)
Assistant Director of Programming:2016-2018
Panel Programming Manager:2015-2018
Senior Technical Staff:2014
Junior Technical Staff:2013

Aurabolt
I'm Special!

Re: Educational vs. Ask Panels?

Post by Aurabolt » Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:50 pm

I always presumed that to mean panelists taking questions in character as the characters they're cosplaying as.

With all the panels I've done, I prefer to keep things informative and factual like being in a classroom. I get many panelists want to give the audience a good time but there is such a thing as being too over the top. I saw that with two panels I attended last year in particular.
Serene Adventure on Wordpress
Aurabolt's Anime Blog
Attendee since 2010. Ran multiple panels at AB from 2012 to 2016. Looking forward to just enjoying AB2017!

...All-around nice guy. Please subscribe to both blogs for Anime and Manga-related news or updates ^_^