Maid Cafe Panel 2016

This forum is for discussion about Anime Boston's panel and workshop programming.
ImoutoFever
AB Alumni

Maid Cafe Panel 2016

Post by ImoutoFever »

Hello! I realize there's already a thread on this but I'd like to start a new one for next year if it's okay!
I've noticed a lot of people are for this idea but generally the argument is that the Hynes/Sheraton don't allow food/drink service.
I was thinking that it would work to have a maid "club" rather than a cafe, i.e it would have everything a regular maid cafe would minus the food and drinks, meaning there would still be singing, karaoke, dancing and board games.
I'm more than happy to be the one who puts in the application, as long as I can find some guys/girls/etc. who would like to be maids or butlers. As this "maid club" will have dancing/singing/performing, there will be an audition process.
There is a Facebook group for those who are interested in joining where we can all come together to brainstorm ideas for a group dance, individual performances, fun games, etc.
Please let me know what you think and if you would like to join you are more than welcome to join the Facebook group!
Anime Boston 2016
Friday - Taiga Aisaka (ToraDora)
Saturday - Cyber!Nico Yazawa (Love Life)
Sunday - Callie (Splatoon)
bubbletea
Getting the hang of this...

Re: Maid Cafe Panel 2016

Post by bubbletea »

I made a google doc for this panel! feel free to add whatever you think may be helpful!

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1jPc ... sp=sharing
PrincessLeah
I'm new!

Post by PrincessLeah »

This sounds like so much fun! I'm not sure if I'd be very helpful, but I'd really like to try if you guys are still looking for people? (I found the Facebook group too, if that's alright.)
ImoutoFever
AB Alumni

Post by ImoutoFever »

Please join this group if you are interested for more info! https://www.facebook.com/groups/animebostonmaidcafe/
Anime Boston 2016
Friday - Taiga Aisaka (ToraDora)
Saturday - Cyber!Nico Yazawa (Love Life)
Sunday - Callie (Splatoon)
Ouija Bored
I'm new!

Post by Ouija Bored »

Hello, I was wondering if it is too late to ask if I can help and be apart of the panel?

I submitted a request to the Facebook page and am currently waiting for acceptance.

If you would like any other details about myself or what I have to offer please ask and I can definitely let you know more.
Aurabolt
I'm Special!

Post by Aurabolt »

Hmm...given the passage of time, I'd say it would be pretty unlikely AB would be willing to slot this since the con is two weeks away. Unlikely but not impossible.

My reccommendations to make it still happen are also a long shot but COULD work and would require legwork from the organizer(s) ASAP and A TON of commitment to make it happen.

There's a ton of extra seating that was added to the Belvidere Arcade. That's the hallway with the post office and P.F. Chang's. Here's what I reccommend.

Option A. Talk to the PRU's Customer Relations Department and ask them about using 5 to 8 tables (request no more than 10 max including what you need for set up/food) in this dining area for the Maid Cafe during Anime Boston 2016. You will need to make it clear you do not work Anime Boston but are an attendee so they don't get confused ("Why didn't X Person from Anime Boston talk to us about this?"). Also let them know it will be free and open to the public.

You should also make it clear one of the organizers will be present while the Maid Cafe is operational and will ensure the space is cleaned up and everything is returned to how it was before they arrived. Providing hours you plan to have the Maid Cafe open would also be a big help. An even bigger plus would be incorporating the vendors in the area in some way so they don't feel threatened by your presence (and will be more likely to help you make it happen).

Once this is done, you follow through. A fun way to incorporate the vendors would be to make an arrangement where after the customers pay for their food, a maid brings it to the seated customer ^_^

I reccommend this plan as the PRU will know who you are and may be able to spare a security guard or two to help keep an eye on things.

Option B. This is for if the PRU says no or you choose not to contact them. You go ahead with it but since it hasn't been officially approved by the PRU, you're kinda restricted in terms of what you can do. You can't move tables and chairs around much and definitely can't use food unless it's from either Star Market or one of the nearby vendors. If the PRU says no, you definitely can't do a whole lot compared to if you have their permission.

I don't reccommend this option as worst-case scenario, if something really bad happens the mall might hold AB responsible by association. You should also still let the nearby food vendors know what you're doing so they don't give you dirty looks or call mall security on you.

...All in all, simply asking is what needs to happen. At the very least, they'll probably ok it as long as the area is cleaned up when you're done and you don't use tables/chars to block or restrict foot traffic. The key thing is getting the official ok from the PRU though. That and letting nearby food vendors know so they know you cleared it with the mall to be there.
Serene Adventure on Wordpress
Aurabolt's Anime Blog

Attendee from 2010 to 2018. Ran multiple panels at AB from 2012 to 2016. Plans to return as a panelist in 2025 or 2026!

...All-around nice guy. Please subscribe to both blogs, especially the second one for Anime and Manga-related news or updates ^_^
Old_School_Anime_Lover02
Committed Poster

Post by Old_School_Anime_Lover02 »

they don't allow out side venders selling food; we can bring food into the convention (i've never had a personal problem with it) but I love the thought of the maid cafe, there's a few things to keep in mind;

1) how much will you charge the people (if your willing to make them pay for the food, or just leave a tip jar on the table on the way out)

2) how fast can you get the people in and out of there as quick as possible (this was kinda an issue at Baku this past time; eventually i got in, but it was a bit to wait cause it was a small hotel room)

3) where are you going to hold it?

4) I will be paying for a lot of this, not to mention menus and such will have to be put at every other place on a table....

i would personally like one, but AB is just to large of a crowd for something like this. it's doable for a smaller con such as Baku (in vermont) because it's small (700?) people i believe only go because it's so far away
cosplays i have complete:
Rocket Member (myself as a team rocket member)
Yurio (yuri on ice)
Rinku (yu yu hakusho
Magi (aladdin Magnoshetot)

I am only so nice once your mean to me i will ignore you and pretend you don't exist: childish but effective
Sakura-chan
Veteran Poster

Post by Sakura-chan »

They were just going to have a maid panel with games and stuff but it didn't get accepted this year, so maybe next year. :)
'06: Sakura (Naruto)
'07: Sakura (Naruto)
'09: Hungary (Hetalia)
'13: Euphemia (Code Geass, for the Spirit Ball!), Rachel Alucard (Blazblue)
'16: Saber EXTRA (Fate/EXTRA), Rose Quartz (SU)
Aurabolt
I'm Special!

Post by Aurabolt »

Sakura-chan wrote:They were just going to have a maid panel with games and stuff but it didn't get accepted this year, so maybe next year. :)
Old_School_Anime_Lover02 wrote:they don't allow out side venders selling food; we can bring food into the convention (i've never had a personal problem with it) but I love the thought of the maid cafe, there's a few things to keep in mind;
...You both ignored my post >.>;
Serene Adventure on Wordpress
Aurabolt's Anime Blog

Attendee from 2010 to 2018. Ran multiple panels at AB from 2012 to 2016. Plans to return as a panelist in 2025 or 2026!

...All-around nice guy. Please subscribe to both blogs, especially the second one for Anime and Manga-related news or updates ^_^
Sakura-chan
Veteran Poster

Post by Sakura-chan »

I wasn't replying to you, I was replying to oldschoolanimelover. :) I'm not on the panel anyway, but I may apply next year.
'06: Sakura (Naruto)
'07: Sakura (Naruto)
'09: Hungary (Hetalia)
'13: Euphemia (Code Geass, for the Spirit Ball!), Rachel Alucard (Blazblue)
'16: Saber EXTRA (Fate/EXTRA), Rose Quartz (SU)
Old_School_Anime_Lover02
Committed Poster

Post by Old_School_Anime_Lover02 »

Aurabolt wrote:
Sakura-chan wrote:They were just going to have a maid panel with games and stuff but it didn't get accepted this year, so maybe next year. :)
Old_School_Anime_Lover02 wrote:they don't allow out side venders selling food; we can bring food into the convention (i've never had a personal problem with it) but I love the thought of the maid cafe, there's a few things to keep in mind;
...You both ignored my post >.>;
i didn't "ignore" you....I just like telling people what i know from my experences (Weather they're good or bad) which is why I review things as a hobby
cosplays i have complete:
Rocket Member (myself as a team rocket member)
Yurio (yuri on ice)
Rinku (yu yu hakusho
Magi (aladdin Magnoshetot)

I am only so nice once your mean to me i will ignore you and pretend you don't exist: childish but effective
foreverfinn
Veteran Poster

Post by foreverfinn »

What if we don't have a facebook? And even though it's too late, I'd definitely like to apply to participate next year! It sounds really fun.
AB 2018 Cosplay Lineup

Thursday: ???
Friday: ??? / ???
Saturday: Wonderful Rush Rin Hoshizora (Love Live!) performing with Shining Sky Idol Project / ???
Sunday: Cheer Nozomi Tojo (Love Live!)

Next Con

???

Instagram

@forever.withyoursoul