Japanese Indie Music: Playlist & Feedback!

This forum is for discussion about Anime Boston's panel and workshop programming.
Xias
Veteran Poster

Japanese Indie Music: Playlist & Feedback!

Post by Xias »

Apologies for the delay in publishing this, I said at my panel it'd be up Sunday night but exhaustion got the better of me. Here's the full playlist of all the videos I played during the Japanese Indie Music panel, Sunday at 11:45 am, including all the unofficial "pre-show" videos I can remember:

(pre-show) Polysics- Domo Arigoto Mr. Roboto
(pre-show) Shugo Tokumaru- Rum Hee
(pre-show) Thee Michelle Gun Elephant- The Birdmen

1. Kegawa no Maries- Koi wo Koeru
2. Charisma.com- HATE
3. NUMBER GIRL- Teppu Surudoku Natte
4. SuiseiNoboAz- E.O.W
5. Mass of the Fermenting Dregs- Kono Speed No Saki E
6. Trippple Nippple- Shenzhen
7. The Novembers- 彼岸で散る青 (searching Higan de Chiru Ao in Romanji works even though I think that translation might be wrong)
8. Ling Toshite Sigure- Souzou no Security
9. Perfume- Love the World
10. Ging Nang Boyz- I Don't Wanna Die
11. 0.8Syooogeki- Beatnik Killers

If you have any feedback for me about this year's panel please use this thread. Thanks to everyone who attended (seriously did not expect that many people given our Sunday morning time slot, y'all are awesome!), and for your patience and understanding during our 10-minute delay to fix the audio quality issues (and a huge thanks to the staffers who came in and greatly improved the audio for me after the early issues). Hopefully I'll see you again next year!
Panelist, Anime Boston 2014-2019
Presenting 3 panels at AB 2019
-New Japan Pro Wrestling
-Japan Travel Tips: Planning Your First Trip
-Bemani: From DDR to IIDX to SDVX
Xias
Veteran Poster

Re: Japanese Indie Music: Playlist & Feedback!

Post by Xias »

Also I meant to plug this for everyone but ran out of time (did get to tell the people who talked to me after the panel though): for those wondering where they can find information on Japanese indie bands and artists, I highly recommend Spark Plugged. The website is in English but the webmaster is based in Japan; there's both a huge artist directory and frequent updates on new music videos, so you'll get introduced to a ton of newer artists as well.

The only thing Spark Plugged's not really that great for is older stuff (like pre-2010 maybe? I forget when his site started tbh....). For that I would say look around Keikaku and Last.fm. Last FM is very spotty because it's obviously maintained by users, but for a lot of older Japanese indie bands they're surprisingly helpful.

If anyone ever needs one-on-one help finding indie music, feel free to PM me on here and I can get you my Gmail. Thanks again to everyone who attended!
Panelist, Anime Boston 2014-2019
Presenting 3 panels at AB 2019
-New Japan Pro Wrestling
-Japan Travel Tips: Planning Your First Trip
-Bemani: From DDR to IIDX to SDVX