Make Pasta Not Politics!: Italians in Anime

This forum is for discussion about Anime Boston's panel and workshop programming.
Haru
Veteran Poster

Make Pasta Not Politics!: Italians in Anime

Post by Haru »

Hetalia fans rejoice! (Insert evil laughter.) For the past two years at Anime Boston, and other places like Otakon, I have presented World War Two in Anime and spread the glorious news that Nazis are evil! However, Nazi Germany was not the only member of the Axis, and they are not the only nation from World War Two that Japan likes to sometimes reference or mock in Anime. That's right Italy, I'm looking at you! Historians tell us that Italy was the birthplace of fascism, but according to anime and manga it is mostly the home of egotistical pastaholics, hardly a serious threat for global domination.

Do the historical events from Italy during the inter-war and World War Two era influence Italian characters found in today's anime and manga, and if so is it more fact or historical satire? The truth is often stranger than fiction. So boil up the water and bring your favorite sauce and noodles for an educational panel like no other. It's a historical feast as we serve up pasta and politics Italian style!
AB 2018 Featured Panelist!
Mongols Can’t Swim: Touring the Battlefields of the Mongol Invasion of Japan
Gaijins, Girls, and Guns: America in Japanese Pop Culture
Yanderes 2.Oh Hell No! (18+)
Stringed Instruments of Japan
Titans vs. Mecha . . . In Space!
Orange is the new black: Love, Loss, and Science Fiction
The Gundam and the Cross: Religious Symbolism in Gundam Seed
Maggie094
Getting the hang of this...

Re: Make Pasta Not Politics!: Italians in Anime

Post by Maggie094 »

Count me in!!! I can't wait to see this!!! <333
Haru
Veteran Poster

Post by Haru »

Preliminary schedule information. Saturday 4/4 10 am - 11 am Hynes Panel Room C.
AB 2018 Featured Panelist!
Mongols Can’t Swim: Touring the Battlefields of the Mongol Invasion of Japan
Gaijins, Girls, and Guns: America in Japanese Pop Culture
Yanderes 2.Oh Hell No! (18+)
Stringed Instruments of Japan
Titans vs. Mecha . . . In Space!
Orange is the new black: Love, Loss, and Science Fiction
The Gundam and the Cross: Religious Symbolism in Gundam Seed
Newisoldoldisnew
I'm new!

Post by Newisoldoldisnew »

First of all, I really enjoyed your panel! I am hoping to see you speak again in the future.
I was wondering if it would be at all possible to get a copy of your slides or maybe if you would be willing to share some of your research. I completely understand if you would prefer I sit down and engage with the media myself, as you clearly put a great deal of thought and research into your presentation. I am currently taking a class about representation of Italians in media, but we have predominantly discussed American media. I thought it would be a really interesting thing to share with my professor. If not, I jotted down quite the rec list of anime to watch at your panel that I will have to share with her.