Japanese Pro Wrestling, Indie Rock, & PV Power Hour Feedback

This forum is for discussion about Anime Boston's panel and workshop programming.
Xias
Veteran Poster

Japanese Pro Wrestling, Indie Rock, & PV Power Hour Feedback

Post by Xias »

Hello,

If you happened to attend any of my three panels at this year's AB and have any thoughts or feedback you would like to share, please post them in this thread! Constructive criticism is always appreciated!

Huge thanks to everyone who showed up for all three- pleasantly surprised at the decent crowd for Indie Rock even as the JAM Project line had started, and to those who came out to PV Power Hour despite it being at 1 am I really appreciate it! As for Japanese Pro Wrestling, thanks to everyone for legit filling our panel room, that was more than I ever expected!
Panelist, Anime Boston 2014-2019
Presenting 3 panels at AB 2019
-New Japan Pro Wrestling
-Japan Travel Tips: Planning Your First Trip
-Bemani: From DDR to IIDX to SDVX
kaitanuva
Getting the hang of this...

Re: Japanese Pro Wrestling, Indie Rock, & PV Power Hour Feed

Post by kaitanuva »

For Indie Rock, you could print out a list of the songs and artists that you presented in the slideshow. Make a small stack of this list for people to pick up at the start / end of the panel.

Btw, I really liked one of the songs - the Hinto one. I'll be sure to check them out more :)

P.S. I wish if the panel were longer, you'd be able to incorporate the audience participating by sharing an indie rock song they like (maybe one per person picked?).
Xias
Veteran Poster

Post by Xias »

kaitanuva wrote:For Indie Rock, you could print out a list of the songs and artists that you presented in the slideshow. Make a small stack of this list for people to pick up at the start / end of the panel.
Yeah, I definitely thought of it and this would have been nice to do, but unfortunately I don't have a printer at home right now. And given the side eye I was getting from my college librarian just as I was printing out my panel notes, I think like a whole bunch of copies of the panel playlist would have been really pushing it, haha. Did you get your name on my email list at the end (if you weren't there at the end, I took everyone's emails who wanted so I could email them the playlist afterwards)? If not, DM me your email and I'll get you on there. I'm also going to send out my entire powerpoint to the email list, which includes all my notes on each band.
Btw, I really liked one of the songs - the Hinto one. I'll be sure to check them out more :)
Hinto owns. The song comes from the album "She See Sea", which is on US Itunes, and that whole album was fantastic. Definitely worth checking out.
P.S. I wish if the panel were longer, you'd be able to incorporate the audience participating by sharing an indie rock song they like (maybe one per person picked?).
This is a cool idea, although it would also kinda suck if they request songs I don't have (and also, if the entire room requested songs, that would be much longer than my entire one-hour panel!). Maybe I'll try something next year, assuming of course I'm allowed to present again, where I can take requests from this board before the panel? That might work out better.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback!
-New Japan Pro Wrestling
kaitanuva

Post by kaitanuva »

Xias wrote:Did you get your name on my email list at the end (if you weren't there at the end, I took everyone's emails who wanted so I could email them the playlist afterwards)? If not, DM me your email and I'll get you on there. I'm also going to send out my entire powerpoint to the email list, which includes all my notes on each band.
Haha no need. I'm a really picky guy when it comes to songs, and I really only liked the Hinto one enough to save it to my library.

Xias wrote: This is a cool idea, although it would also kinda suck if they request songs I don't have (and also, if the entire room requested songs, that would be much longer than my entire one-hour panel!). Maybe I'll try something next year, assuming of course I'm allowed to present again, where I can take requests from this board before the panel? That might work out better.
Ya I wouldn't consider it if it means cutting into your own presentation time, that's why I said only if you get to have your panel time extended.

Btw, I was the guy who asked at the end if you guys knew the (pop) rock band SCANDAL (they were once indie!!) but was disappointed you guys didn't =(.
Xias
Veteran Poster

Post by Xias »

kaitanuva wrote:Btw, I was the guy who asked at the end if you guys knew the (pop) rock band SCANDAL (they were once indie!!) but was disappointed you guys didn't =(.
The name didn't ring a bell at the time during the panel chaos, but I have a vague idea of who you meant. The all-girl band, right? Have done a few anime openings I think? They were never really on my radar, to be honest, but I apologize for disappointing you.

The fact that they've done more than a few anime openings (if they're indeed the band that I'm thinking of) would pretty much automatically disqualify them from my panel, to be honest. I try not to include any bands that have done more than one anime opening (*maybe* two at the most) because that greatly increases the chance attendees at an anime con would have heard of them before, which would defeat the purpose of the panel (exposing people to new artists they've never heard of). Again, thanks for coming though and for the feedback as well!
-New Japan Pro Wrestling
kaitanuva

Post by kaitanuva »

Xias wrote:
The name didn't ring a bell at the time during the panel chaos, but I have a vague idea of who you meant. The all-girl band, right? Have done a few anime openings I think? They were never really on my radar, to be honest, but I apologize for disappointing you.

The fact that they've done more than a few anime openings (if they're indeed the band that I'm thinking of) would pretty much automatically disqualify them from my panel, to be honest. I try not to include any bands that have done more than one anime opening (*maybe* two at the most) because that greatly increases the chance attendees at an anime con would have heard of them before, which would defeat the purpose of the panel (exposing people to new artists they've never heard of). Again, thanks for coming though and for the feedback as well!
Haha I wasn't trying to get you to include them, as they're getting really popular. I just wanted to meet some more fans of them :/
Xias
Veteran Poster

Post by Xias »

This is of course a long shot that you would even read this thread, but: if you were the person who wrote down the e-mail address that started with "diu.me" for the playlist e-mail, DM me. Apparently I can't read your handwriting correctly, because two tries have both resulted in DNS errors when I tried to send it out to you.
-New Japan Pro Wrestling
lostphrack

Post by lostphrack »

Xias wrote:As for Japanese Pro Wrestling, thanks to everyone for legit filling our panel room, that was more than I ever expected!
Thanks for putting it on! I arrived a little late, but really enjoyed it. It was kinda awesome to see and hear everyone reacting to the clips, and you definitely were doing a good job at explaining differences of the companies and their often tangled history. Hope you guys return again next year!
Deany Kong
Experienced Poster

Post by Deany Kong »

The wrestling panel was a blast. Thanks for introducing us to some new action. Me and my buddies are probably gonna check out some of the upcoming PPVs.

Any chance you can hook me up with the 8-man tag team match? I gotta see that 12-man suplex again!
2008: Rob Lucci | 2009: Rob Lucci | 2010: Walter
2011: Gary Oak | 2012: Gary Oak | 2013: Tony Stark
2014: Space Dandy | 2015: Space Dandy | 2016: Crocodile
2017: Grown-up who feels to old to cosplay. | 2018: Grown-up who feels to old to cosplay.
reaper527
Determined Poster

Post by reaper527 »

wait, there was a japanese pro wrestling panel? i completely missed that on the schedule. was it somewhere during the saturday 4pm-10pm "i didn't look at what was running because i was going to be at the masq during those hours" time slot?

either way, i'll definitely keep an eye open for this panel to see if it runs in 2015.
"Asking cosplayers to walk through a metal detector is like asking Axl Rose to take a drug test." -Bluebeard45
Xias
Veteran Poster

Post by Xias »

reaper527 wrote:wait, there was a japanese pro wrestling panel? i completely missed that on the schedule. was it somewhere during the saturday 4pm-10pm "i didn't look at what was running because i was going to be at the masq during those hours" time slot?

either way, i'll definitely keep an eye open for this panel to see if it runs in 2015.
Yes, actually, it was Saturday at 5:30, haha. Hopefully we'll be back next year and you'll be able to come then. : )
-New Japan Pro Wrestling