Panel Applications for 2013 are open

This forum is for discussion about Anime Boston's panel and workshop programming.
Aurabolt
I'm Special!

Re: Panel Applications for 2013 are open

Post by Aurabolt »

Dragonmaster Lou wrote:
Aurabolt wrote:*Checks email*

....Considering my comments in in the last few days I can assume alot. Not saying I don't have a sense of humor mind you XD

I submitted three panels but only two fo them were mentioned as waitlisted. The third one--the other I did last year along with my Fan Fiction panel--is my Clannad one and I did do an application for it too. I did it at the same time as my Fan Fiction one and was a little confused it wasn't mentioned O.o;
Weird... you got nothing for the Clanad panel? I have it listed as accepted here.
Oh wait I just found it.

The other two panels were threaded together and I assumed xD

Found it ^_^

...I'll email you a copy of the powerpoint this weekend.

EDIT: Holy ****!

I want David Matranga to come to my Clannad Panel!

AWESOME!
Serene Adventure on Wordpress
Aurabolt's Anime Blog

Attendee from 2010 to 2018. Ran multiple panels at AB from 2012 to 2016. Plans to return as a panelist in 2025 or 2026!

...All-around nice guy. Please subscribe to both blogs, especially the second one for Anime and Manga-related news or updates ^_^
Dragonmaster Lou
AB Staff

Post by Dragonmaster Lou »

Hey, I'm back everyone. Sorry for any delays in responses either here or via email, but it's because my wife gave birth to a beautiful, healthy, baby boy on Saturday the 16th. Needless to say, I've been busy helping her up with the care and feeding of the little fireball and will still be doing soon at least for a while. So, please forgive my slowness in responding.

Thanks!
"Dragonmaster" Lou Arruda
Panels Programming Coordinator 2008-2014
Programming Operations Staff 2015-2019
Autographs Staff 2022-

Doth thou desire the power?
My fist is the divine breath! Blossom, o fallen seed, and draw upon thy hidden powers!!
Grant unto thee the power of the glorious 'Mother of Destruction'!
Ugly Bob
Veteran Poster

Post by Ugly Bob »

Congrats, your work ethic is superior and I wish you the best!
coolforever
AB Alumni

Post by coolforever »

Just figured I'd ask, I'm going to assume we'll hear the final word for our panels soon, right? Was just a bit curious to know if any of my other panels can still be accepted or not.
Mike Sweeney
Anime Boston Game Show Staff 2018 & 2019

Previous Anime Boston Badge Names:

AB 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011: Kiba. AB 2007: Shin'ichi Kudo. AB 2012: Kiba the Eurobeat Lover.
AB 2013: Kaitou Kid the Eurobeat Lover. Anime Boston 2014: Kaitou Kid the 80's J-Pop Lover.
AB 2015: Kaitou Kid the Sonic Fan. AB 2016: Kaitou Kid the Wolfman. AB 2017: Kaitou Kid the Rocketeer.

Wolf's Rain will always be my #1 favorite Anime of all time. :)
Aurabolt
I'm Special!

Post by Aurabolt »

coolforever wrote:Just figured I'd ask, I'm going to assume we'll hear the final word for our panels soon, right? Was just a bit curious to know if any of my other panels can still be accepted or not.
I was thinking the same but out of respect for I know about Lou's new addition I was going to wait until May 15 to hassle him for an update xD

I'm also going insist for next year he have an assistant or partner in the P&WP Department. I will use this year to make my case for that. I just don't think it's fair to him to have to juggle his AB obligations and take care of the new baby at the same time. He shouldn't have to do that though I'm sure he'll find a way to pull through this year like always. It's what he does.

I brought this up before a few weeks before AB last year and Lou said something to the effect it's just easier for one person to put things together given the last minute changes that may or may not pop up leading up to and during the con. I'd say this year and next year at least are exceptional given his position. It'll also relieve alot of the pressure he'd probably under to have the timetable in place by the week of AB as well.
Aurabolt's Anime Blog

Attendee from 2010 to 2018. Ran multiple panels at AB from 2012 to 2016. Plans to return as a panelist in 2025 or 2026!

...All-around nice guy. Please subscribe to both blogs, especially the second one for Anime and Manga-related news or updates ^_^
Dragonmaster Lou
AB Staff

Checking in here while the baby's sleeping.

Anyway, I'm hoping to finish most, if not all, of the panel scheduling this weekend. Being a weekend, I should have a bit more flexibility with my time as I won't be working, so my spousal overunit and I can have more a 50/50 time split with the baby instead of her taking care of him all day, followed by me taking care of him until bedtime when I get home from work. :)

The guest, industry, and cosplot schedule also has been nailed down (as far as I know, though things may still change), meaning that the last obstacles to me finishing the schedule also are out of the way, assuming the baby naps a lot. :)

As far as getting me an assistant, well, we've actually had an assistant assigned to me in prior years, but they really had nothing to do before the con. The combination of the last minute changes as well as the nature of tracking all the info, checking for conflicts, etc., does make it difficult to juggle the scheduling duties between more than one person. What's more, I have a ton of custom software I wrote (as well as some obscure, but not-so-custom software I dug up) to run panels and make things more efficient. In fact, I typically tweak the software every year to improve it and make things more efficient. Unfortunately, this software was never designed to deal with multiple people making changes at the same time. It's also not exactly the most user-friendly stuff -- apparently I'm the only person who can use it based on my experience with giving people at other cons copies of my software to run their panels...

I have ideas in my head for a complete rewrite of my custom panel management/scheduling software that may support multiple users banging on it and should be more user-friendly, but that's quite a ways away (and probably even further out now due to the baby). Maybe at that point an assistant may be more helpful prior to the con. Until then, I'm kinda stuck...
Autographs Staff 2022-

My fist is the divine breath! Blossom, o fallen seed, and draw upon thy hidden powers!!
hg revolution
Veteran Poster

Post by hg revolution »

So has the final panel schedule been decided yet? I guess my panel wasn't accepted this year (perhaps it was accidentally listed as off-topic? I got an email a while back saying it was off-topic followed by an apology email saying it was on-topic and should be waitlisted).
Dragonmaster Lou
AB Staff

Guest panels were just nailed down today, so now I can grind through filling in the rest of the fan panel slots. Please bear with me for a couple more days.
Autographs Staff 2022-

Dragonmaster Lou
AB Staff

Just sent out a bunch of acceptance notes. I still have a fair number of slots to fill, so more will go out tomorrow.
Autographs Staff 2022-

Aurabolt
I'm Special!

Post by Aurabolt »

Dragonmaster Lou wrote:Just sent out a bunch of acceptance notes. I still have a fair number of slots to fill, so more will go out tomorrow.
All of my Panels were accepted, NICE!

Court Records: Ace Attorney will be a new experience for me. The biggest request for my Fanfiction Panel was for more overall so...yeah.

I'm gonna get started on my Ace Attorney Panel tomorrow. Depending on how it turns out Lou I might request that panel be 30 minutes instead of 60. I should know by this coming Tuesday for sure and will let you know then.
Aurabolt's Anime Blog

Dragonmaster Lou
AB Staff

And... barring any other last minute wackiness, panels have been scheduled! People should get their emails out in the next hour or so.
Autographs Staff 2022-

coolforever
AB Alumni

Post by coolforever »

So, only one of my three panels got accepted.

In the end, I'm actually fine with that, mainly because I get to run Millionaire at Portcon next month and because the #1 panel that I wanted to run besides millionaire DID get accepted. (My J-pop oldies panel)

So I'm still very excited for the con :)
Mike Sweeney

AB 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011: Kiba. AB 2007: Shin'ichi Kudo. AB 2012: Kiba the Eurobeat Lover.
AB 2013: Kaitou Kid the Eurobeat Lover. Anime Boston 2014: Kaitou Kid the 80's J-Pop Lover.
AB 2015: Kaitou Kid the Sonic Fan. AB 2016: Kaitou Kid the Wolfman. AB 2017: Kaitou Kid the Rocketeer.

Ugly Bob
Veteran Poster

Post by Ugly Bob »

Likewise, thanks again for accepting so many of my video game panels, including the premiere of Megaman's anniversary. I have some great stuff planned that fans are sure to enjoy! Hope you'll come and enjoy the fun!
RapaxGuardian
Obsessed Poster

Post by RapaxGuardian »

I'm really flattered my very first panel at AnimeBoston was accepted :3 Here's hoping to running more panels at future ABs!
AB '10: The Sorrow (MGS3)
AB '11: Vamp (MGS2)
AB '12: Sae Kurosawa (Fatal Frame 2) & Major Raikov (MGS3)
AB '13: The Ice Queen (Adventure Time), Meryl Silverburgh (MGS1) & Sae Kurosawa (Fatal Frame 2)
AB '14: The Ice Queen (Adventure Time), Olga Gurlukovich(MGS2)
AB '15: The Ice Queen (Adventure Time), The Sorrow (MGS3), Callie Ohpeee (Homestuck)
Aurabolt
I'm Special!

Post by Aurabolt »

Assuming the Swap Meet is 9:00PM Sat. or later this works perfectly ^_^

Here's a list of the times and rooms of my three panels:

Clannad: The Place Where Wishes Come True

Panel 202 on SUNDAY starting at 01:30:00 PM and running for 60 minutes.

Fan Fiction: Because AU Can Be Fun

Workshop 313 on SUNDAY starting at 11:30:00 AM and running for 90 minutes.

Court Records: Ace Attorney

Panel C on SATURDAY starting at 08:00:00 PM and running for 60 minutes.

Gonna make a new thread for the two recently accepted panels. Things just got real =D

EDIT:

Fellow Panelists, here's a link to floor plans at the Hynes if you'd like to look up your room in advance:

http://www.advantageboston.com/hynes/fl ... tions.aspx

Both of my returning panels are on Sunday and I get a 30-minute break between them. Reminds me of work, LOL.

Knowing the prices at all the Manga vendors in the Dealers' Room get slashed on Sunday, I'm saving ALL of my shopping for Sunday this year.

It's gonna be crazy =O

EDIT 2:

Hmm...I'm debating already weather or not I want to switch the days of my Ace Attorney and Clannad Panels. Everything else will remain the same. Clannad was highly interactive last year and I definitely want to exploit the much larger crowd I know will be there Saturday Night. On the other hand it would a golden opportunity to showcase my new Ace Attorney Panel.

Hmm...I'll decide for sure after I finish my Ace Attorney powerpoint this weekend.
Aurabolt's Anime Blog

coolforever
AB Alumni

Post by coolforever »

So I just got an email saying that my Gaki no Tsukai panel was accepted for the convention.

Now, I kinda have an issue with this, mainly because of what happened with my computer a couple nights ago.

I've been working on my Millionaire panel for Portcon and also my J-pop oldies panel for AB itself on my laptop, and I did have both panels kept on a flash drive. (backed it up about 2 weeks ago) However, two nights ago, while I was on my laptop, I got a blue screen of death out of nowhere and was forced to re-format my laptop X_X (had something to do with a program I installed last week that needed to update)

So, I lost a bunch of work that I did with Millionaire, though I luckily have the backup of it and pretty much am done with it 100% now after working on it endlessly over the last couple of nights. My J-pop panel has been done for awhile now as well so I didn't need to worry about that.

HOWEVER, everything was completely wiped out of my Gaki no Tsukai panel....

Now I do think I have a flash drive somewhere that has the same files that I used last year when I ran it, but I have no idea where it is and I really don't want to use the same videos I used last year.

I have to ask, Lou, if you see this, I can run my Gaki no Tsukai panel, but I was not expecting this panel to be accepted at the last minute, and I would like to know if Millionaire could replace it, ESPECIALLY since there's several videos for my Gaki project that I can't retrieve since they've been taken off the internet.

Please let me know if there's any way my Gaki panel can be switched. Thanks.
Mike Sweeney

hg revolution
Veteran Poster

Post by hg revolution »

My panel (Anime in the West: Parodies and References) got accepted! Awesome! It's Friday at 10:30am, for anyone interested.

So with panels set, how close are we to getting to see the full schedule online?
Dragonmaster Lou
AB Staff

Sorry about the late notice about the Gaki panel... I had a last minute cancellation and the Gaki panel was at the top of the list of panels to replace it with.

If you'd really rather do the millionaire panel, then I suppose I can go with it.

Hit me up via email as I keep my records on there.
Autographs Staff 2022-

coolforever
AB Alumni

Post by coolforever »

Just sent you an email. If you could switch it from Gaki no Tsukai to Millionaire I would really appreciate it. Again Lou, you are AWESOME. ^_^
Mike Sweeney

Aurabolt
I'm Special!

Post by Aurabolt »

I just emailed and PM'd you Lou.

Basically I want to do my Clannad and Ace Attorney panels during the other's scheduled times. My Fan Fiction one's pretty technical while my Clannad one is emotionally charged. The Ace Attorney one's just pure fun so...yeah =D
Aurabolt's Anime Blog

coolforever
AB Alumni

Post by coolforever »

LOU I LOVE YOU, THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR DOING THIS!!! :D :D
Mike Sweeney

Aurabolt
I'm Special!

Post by Aurabolt »

In the email I got last night you slotted two of my panels at the same time, date and room, Lou @.@

I have emailed you back about it.
Aurabolt's Anime Blog

Dragonmaster Lou
AB Staff

Aurabolt wrote:In the email I got last night you slotted two of my panels at the same time, date and room, Lou @.@

I have emailed you back about it.
Screw up in processing my automatic email script. The panels were scheduled properly elsewhere -- just not in the program that generates the email.

Yet another reason why I need to rewrite my system. Right now, it's done using 3 different sets of programs that don't really talk to each other and require some amount of manual interaction between them. As a result, it's possible to sometimes update something in one place but forget or somehow screw up to update it in the other place. In this case, the "scheduler" program was properly up to date, but "info tracker" program wasn't properly updated for some reason.

I'm hoping that by next year, I'l have a "grand unified panel manager" that does everything all in one program.
Autographs Staff 2022-

coolforever
AB Alumni

Post by coolforever »

Lou, I checked the official email and also the official schedule and both are completely different in terms of where I'm running my panels and also what day/time they are happening. This isn't a big deal, but I was wondering which timeframe I need to go by.

Mike Sweeney