Building and Painting Plastic Models (Gundams, Figures, etc.) - tentative

This forum is for discussion about Anime Boston's panel and workshop programming.
tetsujin
Expert Poster

Building and Painting Plastic Models (Gundams, Figures, etc.) - tentative

Post by tetsujin » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:42 pm

Hey everybody! I've put this in as a panel proposal for 2018 but of course I don't know yet if the proposal will be accepted this time around... But I'd like to spread the word, get some input on what people would like to see, and if 2018 doesn't work out maybe this can happen in 2019. I want to host a panel teaching model-making techniques as they're applied to anime mecha, vehicles, figures, etc. My background is primarily in mecha kits like Gundam but the techniques are broadly applicable to all types of plastic models. (I am less experienced when it comes to figure models, but I believe the panel will still be of value to people getting started in figure modeling... And if you happen to be an expert, then please, come share your knowledge, too!)

The class would have a panel format but some of the decisions about what material will be covered will be made in response to the interests of the attendees. Attendees are also invited to use the event to ask questions about their own work, either by bringing the model in, or bringing (good, well-focused, high resolution) pictures. The only catch is you have to be okay with sharing the work with everyone in attendance and having frank, constructive discussion of its merits and flaws. I believe this helps everyone: the modeler gains some insight and direct feedback on their work, everyone else gets some of these abstract issues made a bit more concrete, by discussing them in the context of an actual model.

I have run other instructional modeling programs at Anime Boston in the past: Particularly, the "Mecha Modeling Workshop" which ran from 2004 (pre-convention center days!) through about 2008 or so. That workshop was long, with a fairly rigid and very beginner-oriented agenda. Its main benefit was that it was hands-on: instructional segments were interspersed with work segments in which attendees were encouraged to try the techniques themselves with guidance and assistance from the panelists. This time around my aim is to provide a program that's less demanding (for the attendees, too) and more flexible, that still provides at least the interactive nature of the program but allows for covering a broader range of topics depending on people's interests.

I am hopeful that we will get to do this in 2018. We'll see, of course... If not, then maybe in the future!