General Question Thread for Panels 2017

This forum is for discussion about Anime Boston's panel and workshop programming.
tehscribbles
AB Staff

General Question Thread for Panels 2017

Post by tehscribbles »

Greetings!

This is a basic question thread for all the panel questions you may have. Don't forget to check out the Panel FAQ before posting!
Kate-lyn Skribiski Gingerich (Scribbles)
Programming Logistics Coordinator
EliahNebb
Getting the hang of this...

Re: General Question Thread for Panels

Post by EliahNebb »

Are pre-registered panel applicants more likely to be selected than those not yet registered?
tehscribbles
AB Staff

Post by tehscribbles »

EliahNebb wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:39 pm Are pre-registered panel applicants more likely to be selected than those not yet registered?
Yes, if you pre-reg ahead of time you are more likely to have your panel accepted when I am filling holes in the schedule.
EliahNebb

Post by EliahNebb »

Thanks for letting me know!
PandaCath

Post by PandaCath »

If we've preregistered since submitting the panel application, how can we update you on our status?
tehscribbles
AB Staff

Post by tehscribbles »

PandaCath wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:39 am If we've preregistered since submitting the panel application, how can we update you on our status?
Just send me an email with the subject, 'Now registered.' I won't respond but I will change it in my database. :)

You can email me or any AB staff department here.
PandaCath

Post by PandaCath »

Hi there, I received a confirmation e-mail about my panel being scheduled on Friday night from 10:30PM to midnight, but in our panel application we had noted that we were completely unavailable on Friday. Is there some way to have this rectified?
tehscribbles
AB Staff

Post by tehscribbles »

PandaCath wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:50 am Hi there, I received a confirmation e-mail about my panel being scheduled on Friday night from 10:30PM to midnight, but in our panel application we had noted that we were completely unavailable on Friday. Is there some way to have this rectified?
Yes, please email me with the name of the panel and time/day it is on. I have other panelists looking to swap times.
Mechanical_Phoenix
I'm new!

Post by Mechanical_Phoenix »

Good Morning!
I was wondering what the room capacity was for Hynes Panel A? I include handouts with my panel so I'm trying to decide how many to order.
Thanks!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I run that Pokebiology 101 panel you hear about sometimes.
I also run one of those STEM blogs:
whimsicalscience.wordpress.com
Rosabelle3344
AB Alumni

Post by Rosabelle3344 »

Hello!

What's the process for looking to switch times if possible? I have emailed the panel email with questions before and haven't heard back, so I'm not sure if there's a better method.

Also, we have an update description to add to our panel.

Thanks!
tehscribbles
AB Staff

Post by tehscribbles »

Mechanical_Phoenix wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:33 am Good Morning!
I was wondering what the room capacity was for Hynes Panel A? I include handouts with my panel so I'm trying to decide how many to order.
Thanks!
The Hynes Panel A room has a room capacity of roughly 700 people.
Rosabelle3344 wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:41 pm Hello!

What's the process for looking to switch times if possible? I have emailed the panel email with questions before and haven't heard back, so I'm not sure if there's a better method.

Also, we have an update description to add to our panel.

Thanks!
Email is the best method for me right now, I do have a lot of emails to go though. If I have not responded to you between 24-48 hours email me again with your new description and panel switching request. Right now I have more Friday slots open then Sat or Sun for panel switching.
Xias
Veteran Poster

Post by Xias »

Hi Kate,

Can I get the room capacity for panel room 309 as well? Was thinking of a handout for my Indie Music panel and wanted to get an idea on how many copies I'd need. Thanks!
Panelist, Anime Boston 2014-2019
Presenting 3 panels at AB 2019
-New Japan Pro Wrestling
-Japan Travel Tips: Planning Your First Trip
-Bemani: From DDR to IIDX to SDVX
Fetch
Show-off

Post by Fetch »

https://massconvention.com/assets/pdf/p ... ources.pdf

A handy thing for all of you panel hosts, as it shows room sizes and also contains a map.
tehscribbles
AB Staff

Post by tehscribbles »

Xias wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:40 am Hi Kate,

Can I get the room capacity for panel room 309 as well? Was thinking of a handout for my Indie Music panel and wanted to get an idea on how many copies I'd need. Thanks!
160 seats
Fetch wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:54 pm https://massconvention.com/assets/pdf/p ... ources.pdf

A handy thing for all of you panel hosts, as it shows room sizes and also contains a map.
As great as that is, the cap numbers are calculated without visual/audio set up. So they will be a little higher then the actual capacity.

Are panel capacity numbers something that would be helpful to panelists?
Xias
Veteran Poster

Post by Xias »

Yeah, speaking as someone who generally does at least 1 panel with handouts per year, I think they'd be helpful so we get a general idea how many to bring. Seems like at least a few other panelists use them as well. Thanks for the answer!
Panelist, Anime Boston 2014-2019
Presenting 3 panels at AB 2019
-New Japan Pro Wrestling
-Japan Travel Tips: Planning Your First Trip
-Bemani: From DDR to IIDX to SDVX
coolforever
AB Alumni

Post by coolforever »

Will any of the rooms have HDMI in terms of hooking up a laptop to the projector? I bought two adaptors just in case but I was wondering if I will actually need to use them.
Mike Sweeney
Anime Boston Game Show Staff 2018 & 2019

Previous Anime Boston Badge Names:

AB 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011: Kiba. AB 2007: Shin'ichi Kudo. AB 2012: Kiba the Eurobeat Lover.
AB 2013: Kaitou Kid the Eurobeat Lover. Anime Boston 2014: Kaitou Kid the 80's J-Pop Lover.
AB 2015: Kaitou Kid the Sonic Fan. AB 2016: Kaitou Kid the Wolfman. AB 2017: Kaitou Kid the Rocketeer.

Wolf's Rain will always be my #1 favorite Anime of all time. :)
Painted_Outlaw
Veteran Poster

Post by Painted_Outlaw »

Iirc, the rooms only have usage of VGA connectors but someone else may know more than me.
Attendee since 2010, panelist since 2016.
water_angel

Post by water_angel »

I have a question about the workshop panels. If I wanted to attend one are we allowed to go late? Something I need to go to end a half hour after the workshop begins, would I still be allowed to participate? Or leave early if I finish the project early?

Thank you.
basharoftheages
Under a bridge

Post by basharoftheages »

water_angel wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:40 am I have a question about the workshop panels. If I wanted to attend one are we allowed to go late? Something I need to go to end a half hour after the workshop begins, would I still be allowed to participate? Or leave early if I finish the project early?

Thank you.
Unrelated to the social faux pas of getting in late, if you're trying to get into a popular workshop and aren't in the line that forms before the thing starts, you aren't getting a seat. It might be worth mentioning what workshop you're asking about.
Justin Corriveau - Fan Creations Co-Coordinator (2023-2024)
Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2022)
Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator (2008-2016)
mokuyoubi
I'm new!

Post by mokuyoubi »

Is there any way to add/drop panelists from my panel after it has been accepted? I had somebody who could not come at the last minute, and somebody else who wants to fill in.

Thanks!
pulsedemon
Screw the rules, I have 5,000 posts!

Post by pulsedemon »

It'll probably be best to talk to the panels team ASAP. http://www.animeboston.com/coninfo/contact/ Look for panel programming in the pulldown.
Christian Daly, Director, Exhibits Division, Anime Boston

Look out! It's my last.fm profile!
Cosplay_Joe
Experienced Poster

Post by Cosplay_Joe »

I had a question in regards to my "Anime in the 90s" panel. It was scheduled for Sunday at 11:30, yet I checked the schedule, and I don't see it listed anywhere. Has it been canceled at the last minute? If so, will it be likely be put up again? If not, what happened?

Also, I already tried to ask about this, but it was in response to an automated email, so you probably didn't get it. My "Inspirational/Uplifting Moments in Anime" panel was listed as "wait-listed". Any final decision on whether or not it's been accepted or rejected? Okay, thank you, and see you at the convention on Thursday!
AB 2018 Cosplay Lineup:

Thurs: Doumeki from xxxHolic (w/ the bow too! :D )
Fri: Ayato from The Asterisk War
Sat: Jim Hawking from Outlaw Star. (as pictured in my avatar)
Sun: Lelouch from Code Geass
slippers
AB Staff

Post by slippers »

Cosplay_Joe wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:09 am I had a question in regards to my "Anime in the 90s" panel. It was scheduled for Sunday at 11:30, yet I checked the schedule, and I don't see it listed anywhere. Has it been canceled at the last minute? If so, will it be likely be put up again? If not, what happened?
I see a panel at 11:30 AM on Sunday in Panel Constitution 2 titled Evangelion, Escaflowne, and Cowboy Bebop: Anime from the 90’s, is that what you're looking for?

Hey, that's in my morning tech block, I might get to run tech for you!
Andrew Guertin
Technical Staff Area Lead 2024
Technical Staff Area Lead 2023
Technical Staff Shift Lead 2022

General Tech Staff 2020-2021
Information Desk Staff 2019
Sheraton 500 Shift Lead 2018
Senior Technical Staff 2016-17
Junior Technical Staff 2014-15
Cosplay_Joe
Experienced Poster

Post by Cosplay_Joe »

Yes, and I just saw it when I double checked the schedule on Guidebook. However, could you please put my stage name, "Cosplay Joe", in the Panelist section? I don't see it, and I'm sure some people would be confused.

Secondly, do you think you would be possible if one or all of my panels could be recorded? If you need my permission, I'm giving it to you now. The only reason why I ask, is that my mom wanted to see a video of me doing these panels. Plus, I think it would be cool to have anyway.

And lastly, what about the other panel I talked about? Okay, thank you!
AB 2018 Cosplay Lineup:

Thurs: Doumeki from xxxHolic (w/ the bow too! :D )
Fri: Ayato from The Asterisk War
Sat: Jim Hawking from Outlaw Star. (as pictured in my avatar)
Sun: Lelouch from Code Geass
off_kilter
Experienced Poster

Post by off_kilter »

I have a bit of a concern about the two panels I'm hosting in the Fens room of the Sheraton. Two years ago when I did the first version of my Air Combat panel the panel nearly didn't get off the ground due to the type of connection that was required. My laptop is equiped with VGA which was never a problem with the Hynes rooms, but the flat screen tv apparently required an HDMI connection. Thankfully the tech guy managed to track down an adaptor just before the panel was started and everything turned out ok.

Does anyone know if the fens room will only have HDMI again this year? Should I bring an VGA to HDMI adaptor?
FantasticMrSocks
I'm new!

Post by FantasticMrSocks »

When I was setting up for my panel, one of the tech guys mentioned that the audio from it would be recorded. I was wondering if it's possible to get a copy of that recording? I'd like to have one for archival purposes.