Kancolle:The Weapons behind the women

This forum is for discussion about Anime Boston's panel and workshop programming.
off_kilter
Experienced Poster

Kancolle:The Weapons behind the women

Post by off_kilter »

Hi guys its me again with another panel announcement.(I'm going to have one hell of a busy con)

With this panel we dive deep into seas of history to discuss the ships the women of Kancolle are based on, their weapons, and how they would stack up against their contemporaries from around the world. I will also be giving an overview on the Pacific naval campaign and discussing turning point on the war in the Pacific.

Fair warning for Kancolle fans this is going to be focusing mostly on historical details, and not so much on who is "best girl", waifu's, or shipping(unless its supplies). Also since the new anime seems to be focusing a lot on historical events despite its goofiness there will be spoilers.
Smoochum302
Experienced Poster

Re: Kancolle:The Weapons behind the women

Post by Smoochum302 »

I am going to be cosplaying Ooyodo, so I really hope I can make it to this panel!

It sounds right up my alley (since I got into KanColle for its back story mostly anyways)
Elli21486
Obsessed Poster

Post by Elli21486 »

If this panel is on a time I can go, I will go. This seems interesting.
Smoochum302 wrote:I am going to be cosplaying Ooyodo, so I really hope I can make it to this panel!

It sounds right up my alley (since I got into KanColle for its back story mostly anyways)
Smoochums302, I would not be surprised if some cosplayers of KanColle are asked up and compared to the original ship. :P
Past Conventions:
AB 2007-2009; 2011-2019, 2022

2023 Anime Boston Stats Debating

Creator of the Anime Boston Voter's Reaction vids. View them at Eri21486's Youtube Channel

Past Picture Galleries
2014 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017

Past Galleries Available If Asked
Smoochum302
Experienced Poster

Post by Smoochum302 »

Elli21486 wrote:If this panel is on a time I can go, I will go. This seems interesting.
Smoochum302 wrote:I am going to be cosplaying Ooyodo, so I really hope I can make it to this panel!

Smoochums302, I would not be surprised if some cosplayers of KanColle are asked up and compared to the original ship. :P
I would love that! (but I am also a history buff, so I would know exactly what I came equip with XD)

It would be interesting for sure, but maybe awkward for some girls who cosplayed from the series just because their designs were awesome and not because history was their favorite subject haha.
off_kilter
Experienced Poster

Post by off_kilter »

Smoochum302 wrote:
Elli21486 wrote:If this panel is on a time I can go, I will go. This seems interesting.

I would love that! (but I am also a history buff, so I would know exactly what I came equip with XD)

It would be interesting for sure, but maybe awkward for some girls who cosplayed from the series just because their designs were awesome and not because history was their favorite subject haha.
Yeah on paper it might seem like a good idea, but I really don't want to put anybody on the spot or make them feel uncomfortable. I'd feel really bad for a girl if she got up in front of the room as Shimakaze and had to explain the reason she's wearing a skimpy uniform unique from all the others with a thong is because she was a one off destroyer stripped to minimal armor with a prototype one of a kind boiler system. :P

Still if someone wants to volunteer that's perfectly alright and I'll figure out a way to make it work.
Smoochum302
Experienced Poster

Post by Smoochum302 »

Well, if you see an Ooyodo with a clip board, you are more than welcome to call her up to the stage haha!
Elli21486
Obsessed Poster

Post by Elli21486 »

Lol. I can definitely understand that. Although it does sound like you have a volunteer already :P
Past Conventions:

Creator of the Anime Boston Voter's Reaction vids. View them at Eri21486's Youtube Channel

Past Picture Galleries

off_kilter
Experienced Poster

Post by off_kilter »

I just got the schedule update, my panel is going to be on Sunday from 10:30am to 11:30am. I hope everyone can still attend. :)
Elli21486
Obsessed Poster

Post by Elli21486 »

With video camera in hand, that will be my last panel of the con.
Past Conventions:

Past Picture Galleries

off_kilter
Experienced Poster

Post by off_kilter »

I just want to thank everyone for going to my panel today. I hope you enjoyed it.

I also want to admit a major goof I made about I-58 the submarine. The sub I was thinking of was actually I-19, not 58(they're both "B" types) and she sank the wasp not the hornet. It was nagging me the whole way home today. I knew I got something wrong about that. I chalk it up to exhaustion given my whole car getting impounded the night before and not getting home till 3am.

Anyways I-58 is a little more infamous as she sunk the USS Indianapolis the ship that had tranported the atomic bomb to the Enola Gay and was on her way back home when she got hit.
Elli21486
Obsessed Poster

Post by Elli21486 »

I ended up recording the panel. Would you mind if I post it up?There is a break near the end due to changing the battery in the camera
Past Conventions:

Past Picture Galleries

off_kilter
Experienced Poster

Post by off_kilter »

Elli21486 wrote:I ended up recording the panel. Would you mind if I post it up?There is a break near the end due to changing the battery in the camera
Go right ahead. no big deal. :P
Cerebral_Boar
AB Alumni

Post by Cerebral_Boar »

Hi, off_kilter! I really enjoyed your panel! It's always great to meet a fellow history buff!! I hope to see you at AB16!!
Michael St. Pierre
Anime Boston
Junior Tech Staff 2015-2017
Senior Technical Staff 2018-2019

General Tech Staff 2020-present

"Ain't it funny how it is?
You never miss it 'til it's gone away
And my heart is lying there
And will be 'til my dying day"
Wasted Years by Iron Maiden
off_kilter
Experienced Poster

Post by off_kilter »

Cerebral_Boar wrote:Hi, off_kilter! I really enjoyed your panel! It's always great to meet a fellow history buff!! I hope to see you at AB16!!
Sorry I haven't replied sooner, I've just been real busy over the last year post AB15. I really appreciate the feedback though and to be honest hosting this panel was one of my favorite memories of the con. I was shocked with how many people came up to me after the panel to thank me for expanding their view on the war and especially the details of how it started in the first place.

Anyways I have great news. I'm back again for AB2016 with Kancolle:More Weapons & More women! I'm currently tweeking the panel to add all new content and elaborate more on things I briefly mentioned in last years panel like operation Ten-go, raid on Taranto, and Bismarck's run to the Atlantic. There's also the newly released American shipgirl I get to discuss so there should be plenty of new material for those that are familar with last years panel from attending or seeing it on youtube to enjoy. I hope you're able to work my panel again this year Cerebral Boar, you really helped make my panel a huge success.
H. Guderian
Obsessed Poster

Post by H. Guderian »

I didn't get to make it last year, but since then I got more involved with the franchise, so hopefully can make it to this.
off_kilter
Experienced Poster

Post by off_kilter »

H. Guderian wrote:I didn't get to make it last year, but since then I got more involved with the franchise, so hopefully can make it to this.
The good news is you don't really need to know a lot about the game or the franchise to enjoy my panel as I use the shipgirls of Kancolle as a jumping off point to discuss the history of the ships they're based on, and the naval battles of WWII in general.

Still if naval battles don't quite interest you, you might enjoy the other panel I'm hosting this year that I just posted about.... General Guderian. :)
H. Guderian
Obsessed Poster

Post by H. Guderian »

Funny enough I first got involved in military history with Guadalcanal, and thusly part of the Pacific War. This is a long time ago now. I got much better at the European theater. I've had a resurgence in interest in the Pacific theater after I picked up a really good book that debunks many popular assumptions about the battle at Surigao. After finishing the book I really wanted to dive into something related, so got into Kancolle. I had seen the anime previously.

I'll try to hit up both panels, but between two of my own, a friend's panels, I'm really starting to look booked. Pray for no overlaps!!
off_kilter
Experienced Poster

Post by off_kilter »

Thanks once again to everyone for attending my panel on Kancolle! In addtion I also want to give a special thanks to the group of people that attended both this panel and tankery 101 on friday. Finally a super duper special broadside salute for everyone that went to both panels this year and also attended this panel's debut last year!

As you guys know by now I'm probly more critical of my panels than anyone else so I want everyone to know this is likely the last you will see this panel as it is. I've given it a bunch of thought and considering how I'm a little unhappy with how the panel has moments where its feels like a massive info dump I'm likely to be splitting this panel up in the future.
I'm thinking maybe one panel focusing on types of ships and the ship girls with their historical counterparts, while the other one would be a deadpan serious panel on the pacific war that will give me more time to go into more detail.

So to sum up Kancolle:The Weapons Behind The Women will return to AB, just not as everyone has seen it in the past.

Let me know what you think.