Roland Kelts

Share your excitement about Anime Boston's various guests of honor. Show them how enthusiastic Anime Boston fans can be! (Sometimes they read this forum too!)
Faceman
AB Executive

Roland Kelts

Post by Faceman » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:18 pm

Roland Kelts is the author of the critically acclaimed bestseller, Japanamerica: How Japanese Pop Culture has Invaded the US. As a journalist, essayist and columnist, he writes for several publications, such as: The New Yorker, Time, The New York Times, The Christian Science Monitor, Newsweek Japan, The Los Angeles Times, The Yomiuri, and The Japan Times, and is considered an authority on contemporary Japanese culture and media. He is a frequent commentator on CNN, NPR, NHK and the BBC. Recently, Kelts delivered lectures for TED Talks in Tokyo and The World Economic Forum in Tianjin. He is currently a 2017 Nieman Fellow in Journalism at Harvard University, where he is working on a new book.

Visit his blog at http://japanamerica.blogspot.com/.
Chris O'Connell
Director of Public Relations 2017
Assistant Director of Public Relations 2015-2016
Webmaster 2010-2016
President of New England Anime Society, Inc.

Have a question? Private Message or Email me!

Kusuguru Usagi
Dedicated Poster

Re: Roland Kelts

Post by Kusuguru Usagi » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:56 pm

I'm REALLY excited to hear Roland Kelts is returning to AB this year. It's been a long time since he was there last, I was trying to remember when it was? I had gone to his panel he had back then. I have his JapanAmerica book.

EDIT: I found out when it was: he was at AB in 2010, and the title of his panel he gave was ""Roland Kelts: "Anime, Manga, and More: Japanese Pop Culture--its origins, its Japanese and American character, and why it defines Cool in the 21st Century." :) :)

Master of NERV
Determined Poster

Post by Master of NERV » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:18 pm

Sounds like a fascinating guest! Definitely need to check out.
AB 2003-2017; pre-reged for 2018!
2006, '12, '13: Commander Ikari (Evangelion)
2007: Dr. Akai (Maburaho)

Old_School_Anime_Lover02
Committed Poster

Post by Old_School_Anime_Lover02 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:03 pm

i actually had to order his book on e-bay cause i couldn't find it in stores any longer, will check the guide book for more information on his panels tommrow
cosplays i have complete:
Rocket Member (myself as a team rocket member)
Yurio (yuri on ice)
Rinku (yu yu hakusho
Magi (aladdin Magnoshetot)

I am only so nice once your mean to me i will ignore you and pretend you don't exist: childish but effective

Kusuguru Usagi
Dedicated Poster

Post by Kusuguru Usagi » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:02 am

Old_School_Anime_Lover02 wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:03 pm
i actually had to order his book on e-bay cause i couldn't find it in stores any longer, will check the guide book for more information on his panels tommrow
His panels are:

Momotaro: The Sacred Sailors panel on Fri. 2PM-4PM in Sheraton Panel Constitution 2
Osamu Tezuka and Shigeru Mizuki: The Late, Great Pioneers of Modern Manga and Anime on Sat. 1:30PM-2:30PM in Hynes Panel A
Classic Anime: They Don't Make It Like They Used To on Sat. 6PM-7PM in Sheraton Panel Constitution 2

EDIT: I'm REALLY interested in watching Momotaro. ^_^ ^_^

Old_School_Anime_Lover02
Committed Poster

Post by Old_School_Anime_Lover02 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:25 pm

Kusuguru Usagi wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:02 am
Old_School_Anime_Lover02 wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:03 pm
His panels are:

Momotaro: The Sacred Sailors panel on Fri. 2PM-4PM in Sheraton Panel Constitution 2
Osamu Tezuka and Shigeru Mizuki: The Late, Great Pioneers of Modern Manga and Anime on Sat. 1:30PM-2:30PM in Hynes Panel A
Classic Anime: They Don't Make It Like They Used To on Sat. 6PM-7PM in Sheraton Panel Constitution 2

EDIT: I'm REALLY interested in watching Momotaro. ^_^ ^_^
that was very useful thank you ^_^ the last one from 6-7 sounds like something i'd be very interested in (i'm an old fart almost 29 =+=) and actually free for that one; I might be able to make the friday one depending on how fast autographs go and such, but the second one greatly exites me, and i can't wait to read his book soon have you read any of his work yet?
cosplays i have complete:
Rocket Member (myself as a team rocket member)
Yurio (yuri on ice)
Rinku (yu yu hakusho
Magi (aladdin Magnoshetot)

I am only so nice once your mean to me i will ignore you and pretend you don't exist: childish but effective

Kusuguru Usagi
Dedicated Poster

Post by Kusuguru Usagi » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:54 am

You are most welcome. ^_^ ^_^

I only have his "JapanAmerica" book. I'm re-reading it, in fact. :) :) If I remember correctly, I bought a copy after he was at AB in 2010. :) :)

I might go to the Classic Anime panel, too. There are SOOO many fasciinating panels going on this weekend, I think I'm going to have to clone myself so I can get to see everything I want to see. LOL!!

Kusuguru Usagi
Dedicated Poster

Post by Kusuguru Usagi » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:51 pm

I had gone to watch "Momotaro: The Sacred Sailors", and I also attended the Classic Anime: They Don't Make It Like They Used To panel. I asked Roland to sign my copy of JapanAmerica that I have, and he did. He was really sweet, and his signing the book made my day. ^_^ ^_^

I want to purchase Momotaro, it is being released on DVD/BD next month.