Toru Furuya

Share your excitement about Anime Boston's various guests of honor. Show them how enthusiastic Anime Boston fans can be! (Sometimes they read this forum too!)
Faceman
AB Executive

Toru Furuya

Post by Faceman » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:59 am

Toru Furuya is a celebrated veteran voice actor currently working for Aoni Production in Japan. Getting his start in 1966, he may be best known to American audiences as the voice of Tuxedo Mask/Mamoru Chiba in Sailor Moon, Yamcha in Dragonball/Dragonball Z, and Amuro Ray in Mobile Suit Gundam.

With over fifty years in the anime industry, Furuya has voiced roles in a host of other generation-defining series including: Pegasus Seiya in Saint Seiya; Hyuuma Hoshi in Star of Giants; Kyousuke Kasuga in Kimugure Orange Road; Dr. Tokita Kosaku in Paprika; Sabo in One Piece; and Rei Furuya in Detective Conan. His vocal talents can also be heard in titles such as: Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger, Space Battleship Yamato Resurrection, Lupin III: Dead or Alive, and Bleach, among many others.

We’re delighted to welcome Furuya to his first convention in the NorthEast!
Chris O'Connell
Director of Public Relations 2017
Assistant Director of Public Relations 2015-2016
Webmaster 2010-2016
President of New England Anime Society, Inc.

Have a question? Private Message or Email me!

Kanechan
Experienced Poster

Re: Toru Furuya

Post by Kanechan » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:13 pm

Oh man, now I'm positively flipping out over this. I have wanted to meet the man behind Tuxedo Kamen and Dr. Tokita for so long now, hearing about his coming to Boston is almost too much. I've got to see him if it's all at possible. :o :shock: 8-)
Klein bottle for rent; inquire within.

H. Guderian
Dedicated Poster

Post by H. Guderian » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:13 pm

What do I ask him about? What obscure ancient role do i ask him about? Merely having the chance and blowing it is a gift. I accept this treasure, Anime Boston.

tetsujin
Expert Poster

Post by tetsujin » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:36 pm

Neat! I missed seeing him at Anime Expo years ago, heard it was a good time though. It's hard to get into popular events like these sometimes but really worth it IMO. Celebrity is a bit weird and when I met one of my heroes at an anime con I went in kind of desperate to make contact and take something away, but came away kind of reflecting on what it must mean to spend time in a room full of people who want to talk to you about work you did 30 years ago, armed with fan-theories about behind-the-scenes intrigue that may or may not have had any connection to reality... Even so, if you're in that position with an opportunity to meet someone you regard as a hero, I highly recommend it. The whole "Never meet your heroes" thing (for fear that you'll be disappointed by reality, etc.) is bunk IMO.

I don't think I'll have any questions for him. But I'd really like to make it to the panel if I can.

kibakesticles
Veteran Poster

Post by kibakesticles » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:59 pm

Quite the legend. I'd definitely like to get him to sign some Dragon Ball, although I don't know how likely that will be.

tetsujin
Expert Poster

Post by tetsujin » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:58 pm

kibakesticles wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:59 pm
Quite the legend. I'd definitely like to get him to sign some Dragon Ball, although I don't know how likely that will be.
I had an orange Kame school gi I wanted him to sign, but it's got a big hole in it...