Changes in Autograph Policy

Share your excitement about Anime Boston's various guests of honor. Show them how enthusiastic Anime Boston fans can be! (Sometimes they read this forum too!)
Post Reply
User avatar
Nemra
AB Staff
Posts: 672
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:06 pm

Changes in Autograph Policy

Post by Nemra » Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:00 pm

In an effort to predict wait times for autograph lines and to allow our attendees and guests to have as much fun as possible at Anime Boston, the following guidelines should be observed.

1) Approximately 100 attendees in line for an autograph (this may be slightly more or less depending on the length of the session) will receive tickets just prior to start of the session. This ticket guarantees an autograph in either the current session or, if need be, an overflow session later in the convention. Overflow autograph session times will be available at the information desks.

2) Individuals without tickets are not guaranteed an autograph, but are still welcome to wait if the line has not been capped. Whether or not they receive an autograph depends on how quickly the line moves during the allotted time. Individuals without tickets may not attend scheduled overflow sessions.

3)Anime Boston reserves the right to cap or end the line to keep events (and guests) on schedule.

4)Attendees are not allowed to line up for an autograph session more than 30 minutes before the scheduled start time. Attendees gathering in the vicinity of the autograph room before that time will be asked to disperse.

5) In order to allow as many attendees as possible the opportunity to get an autograph, we ask that attendees limit themselves to one item at a time. If the line has not been capped and there is time, attendees are welcome to get in line again for a second autograph.

6)All items should also be prepared for signing. For example, DVD inserts should be removed from the case and posters should be unrolled.

7)Attendees are welcome to take photographs of the guests as they sign, but should not request to come behind the table or for the guest to come around to pose.

8)Attendees participating in disruptive or rude behavior may be asked to leave the autograph area.

If these simple rules are followed, as many of our attendees can enjoy Anime Boston as possible. The faster the line moves, the better the chance that others will get the opportunity to meet their favorite guests!
Nabil Samuel

NEAS Board Member: '17
Executive Advisor: '14 - '17
Social Media Coordinator: '15-'17
Web Staff: '17
Video Tech Coordinator: '11 - '15

calima92
Getting the hang of this...
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2016 2:54 pm

Re: Changes in Autograph Policy

Post by calima92 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:09 pm

:( on the autograph limit

User avatar
Old_School_Anime_Lover02
Committed Poster
Posts: 661
Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:56 pm

Re: Changes in Autograph Policy

Post by Old_School_Anime_Lover02 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:55 pm

so say you get a ticket, and get into the first autograph line, could you go again to the line flow autogrpah line if you have something else you NEED to get signed?
cosplays i have complete:
Rocket Member (myself as a team rocket member)
Yurio (yuri on ice)
Rinku (yu yu hakusho
Magi (aladdin Magnoshetot)

I am only so nice once your mean to me i will ignore you and pretend you don't exist: childish but effective

mhayward99
I'm new!
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:15 am

Re: Changes in Autograph Policy

Post by mhayward99 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:00 pm

Tbh the policy on "only 1 item now" sucks.

User avatar
Faceman
AB Executive
Posts: 3021
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2006 2:26 am
Location: Boston, MA

Re: Changes in Autograph Policy

Post by Faceman » Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:34 pm

Old_School_Anime_Lover02 wrote:so say you get a ticket, and get into the first autograph line, could you go again to the line flow autogrpah line if you have something else you NEED to get signed?
If you got a ticket, and was able to get your item signed by the guest, you would give up the ticket then and not be able to go into any over flow sessions for that guest.

However, after you got your first item signed, you'd be more than welcomed to go to the back of the current line to wait for another chance at an autograph. But just be aware you may not be guaranteed an autograph at that point (the same as anyone else beyond the first approximately 100 attendees).
mhayward99 wrote:Tbh the policy on "only 1 item now" sucks.
We understand your disappointment. However, please keep in mind that the time guests have available for autograph sessions is finite. Reducing the number of autograph items per person makes it possible for more people overall to get an autograph. That can improve your chances of getting an autograph, especially if you happen to be towards the end of the line.
Chris O'Connell
Director of Public Relations 2017
Assistant Director of Public Relations 2015-2016
Webmaster 2010-2016
President of New England Anime Society, Inc.

Have a question? Private Message or Email me!

User avatar
okapirose
Determined Poster
Posts: 221
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:37 pm
Location: Nashua, NH
Contact:

Re: Changes in Autograph Policy

Post by okapirose » Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:39 pm

VERY awesome changes!

To anyone complaining, why? Stop it. Autographs at AB are free. Many other cons charge $50+ for ONE. Be happy that such a change wasn't implemented.

Pick which guest or guests you'd like to meet ahead of time and decide which treasured item, be it DVD or book, that you'd like signed by them. It's not the end of the world. And it isn't fair to others that you hold up the line with half a dozen items for the guest to sign.

User avatar
Skylercat
Getting the hang of this...
Posts: 19
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:19 am

Re: Changes in Autograph Policy

Post by Skylercat » Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:46 am

Are you planning on having staff at the stairs? Because this is great and all, but it gets thrown out the window when con-goers hang out by the stairs to cut in line. Which happened to me and a few other people.

Pint_Sized25
Experienced Poster
Posts: 43
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:34 pm

Re: Changes in Autograph Policy

Post by Pint_Sized25 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:56 am

Yeah I'm worried like Skylercat. I've been to a con a few years ago who said not to line up for a panel and people hovered, and when it was time to officially line up, the ones who were honest and left to come back at the appropriate time never got in.

User avatar
coolforever
Obsessed Poster
Posts: 485
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:38 pm
Contact:

Re: Changes in Autograph Policy

Post by coolforever » Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:03 pm

I actually like this change, except for the one item rule. I'm kinda meh on that.

Either way, I think at least this will allow A LOT more people to get autographs in the end, so I think it will hopefully manage time better.
Wolf's Rain = BEST. ANIME. EVER.

Anime Boston 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 Badge Name: Kiba

Anime Boston 2007 Badge Name: Shin'ichi Kudo

Anime Boston 2012 Badge Name: Kiba the Eurobeat Lover

Anime Boston 2013 Badge Name : Kaitou Kid the Eurobeat Lover

Anime Boston 2014 Badge Name: Kaitou Kid the 80's J-Pop Lover

Anime Boston 2015 Badge Name: Kaitou Kid the Sonic Fan

Anime Boston 2016 Badge Name: Kaitou Kid the Wolfman

Anime Boston 2017 Badge Name: Kaitou Kid the Rocketeer

ForteGX
Getting the hang of this...
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:27 pm

Re: Changes in Autograph Policy

Post by ForteGX » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:48 pm

Hi,
I don't actually see much change in the policy.

Regarding 2,3,5,6,7,8: No problems here, I don't see how this is a change.

Regarding 1 and 4: When can I get the tickets? Is there a change in how the tickets are handed out? Because I have been given the tickets before, but a little too late. By the time tickets were handed out there was already a line of people. Once in a nice organized line, people have no issues. The issue comes when people are not allowed to line up. Are tickets being given to the first people to line up? Doesn't that in a sense incentivize people to continue the hovering to get there at exactly 60 mins before? That just pushes off the issue and doesn't actually solve them. If a person gets a ticket can they just leave and come back later and be allowed on the line?

My suggestion is to allow tickets to be given to people as they arrive and if its not time to line up yet just tell them to come back later with the guarantee that they will get an autograph. People won't hover if they have the security of getting something signed. The mobs/ hovering occur because people are not being guaranteed. Is this not first come? So just hand out the tickets and if its early tell them to come back with the tickets. Handing them out while they are already in a line is too late.

Masterkid5
I'm new!
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:00 pm

Re: Changes in Autograph Policy

Post by Masterkid5 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:28 pm

I unfortunately don't see any change in the autograph policy relative to how it was last year or the year prior. While most of these rules are not a problem and don't really need to be changed there is however an issue with two of these rules in specific.

For rule number 1, the tickets usually end up becoming pointless due to the fact they are only handed out when you line up in the first place. These tickets never end up being handed out prior to the autograph signing so this leads to a lingering problem of people who wish to line up immediately to get a spot. The 100 attendee limit is great to stop the overload of people but when these tickets are only given to those who make the line up in the first place the organization falls apart. The tickets need to be handed out in advance to the actual autograph session which will in turn cut down on the lingering people.

Rule number 4 on how attendees are not allowed to line up for an autograph session more than 60 minutes before the scheduled start time has always cause pandemonium. Last year and the year prior, autograph session line ups have been a slaughter. To make the 100 person limit, people are always hovering in the rooms next to the start of the line and waiting for the time to charge towards it. Staff ends up ill prepared for the rapid flow of attendees and people end up getting hurt with the sudden cramming. The people who try and walk nice and calmly to the line up are the ones who never make the cut. If the change to rule number 1 where if tickets were given out beforehand was made then the amount of lingering people would dissipate. If anything a suggestion I have additionally for this rule is to create another separate line for those who do not have a ticket. This way you would have your line of people who are guaranteed to get their autographs and then if time permits you could flow in the other line of those who do not have a ticket. Additionally if you moved the line ups to a different location rather than a small cramped walkway, then you could have more room to work with and then flow the line in an organized fashion to the autograph room.

I would appreciate a reply to these concerns and some others that people have over this matter.

User avatar
Old_School_Anime_Lover02
Committed Poster
Posts: 661
Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:56 pm

Re: Changes in Autograph Policy

Post by Old_School_Anime_Lover02 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:19 pm

Faceman wrote:
Old_School_Anime_Lover02 wrote:so say you get a ticket, and get into the first autograph line, could you go again to the line flow autogrpah line if you have something else you NEED to get signed?
If you got a ticket, and was able to get your item signed by the guest, you would give up the ticket then and not be able to go into any over flow sessions for that guest.

However, after you got your first item signed, you'd be more than welcomed to go to the back of the current line to wait for another chance at an autograph. But just be aware you may not be guaranteed an autograph at that point (the same as anyone else beyond the first approximately 100 attendees).
mhayward99 wrote:Tbh the policy on "only 1 item now" sucks.
We understand your disappointment. However, please keep in mind that the time guests have available for autograph sessions is finite. Reducing the number of autograph items per person makes it possible for more people overall to get an autograph. That can improve your chances of getting an autograph, especially if you happen to be towards the end of the line.

that's fine I completely understand: I just had my annual freak out is all it happens with this convention all the time
cosplays i have complete:
Rocket Member (myself as a team rocket member)
Yurio (yuri on ice)
Rinku (yu yu hakusho
Magi (aladdin Magnoshetot)

I am only so nice once your mean to me i will ignore you and pretend you don't exist: childish but effective

User avatar
Max465
Experienced Poster
Posts: 39
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:46 pm
Location: The Shire

Re: Changes in Autograph Policy

Post by Max465 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:37 pm

ForteGX wrote:Regarding 1 and 4: When can I get the tickets? Is there a change in how the tickets are handed out? Because I have been given the tickets before, but a little too late. By the time tickets were handed out there was already a line of people. Once in a nice organized line, people have no issues. The issue comes when people are not allowed to line up. Are tickets being given to the first people to line up? Doesn't that in a sense incentivize people to continue the hovering to get there at exactly 60 mins before? That just pushes off the issue and doesn't actually solve them. If a person gets a ticket can they just leave and come back later and be allowed on the line?

My suggestion is to allow tickets to be given to people as they arrive and if its not time to line up yet just tell them to come back later with the guarantee that they will get an autograph. People won't hover if they have the security of getting something signed. The mobs/ hovering occur because people are not being guaranteed. Is this not first come? So just hand out the tickets and if its early tell them to come back with the tickets. Handing them out while they are already in a line is too late.
I think people are misinterpreting the point of tickets at this con (unless I'm misinterpreting the point).

Tickets aren't there to guarantee your spot in line at a session. They are there to guarantee you get an autograph ONCE the line has formed. Meaning even if they aren't able to get to your spot in line. You are guaranteed an autograph at the overflow session on Sunday.

A problem with handing out tickets through out the day, is that staff isn't the same throughout the day. People could try and cheat the system. Get a second ticket to try and get more items signed, or even worse try and sell the ticket. This also makes it harder for people who can't get to the con earlier in the day (Especially on Friday).

The current way is more chaotic and has its problems, but I think its the better of the options, IF the staff is actually organized and focused during the line up times.

Edit: Also to add a worst case scenario. Lets say they give out tickets before hand. But mid-day they're all out of tickets. All 100 tickets are gone.

Then say NONE of those 100 people with tickets show up (Say there was another event at the same time they wanted to go to and went "I have a ticket, I'll just go to the overflow line").

That's 100 people at the overflow line, and that's not what it's meant for. But everyone has their ticket so AB would HAVE to honor it. That would be its own nightmare for the staff as well as the guest giving the autograph.

User avatar
animosc
Experienced Poster
Posts: 38
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:52 pm

Re: Changes in Autograph Policy

Post by animosc » Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:04 am

The rules seems pretty straightforward. The only change I see is the one-item limit, and last year that was already the limit anyway during certain signings.

IIRC, last year tickets were given out after the line had already formed which, in my opinion, made them kind of redundant. Tickets ought to be handed out before the line forms, when attendees first start arriving on the scene. This also has the added benefit of letting attendees leave to do something else so they don't need to stand around for an hour waiting in a line uselessly. Once you have a ticket, you are guaranteed an autograph so there is no point wasting time waiting there.

User avatar
LadyLark
AB Executive
Posts: 70
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:33 am

Re: Changes in Autograph Policy

Post by LadyLark » Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:24 pm

Max465 nailed what the purpose of the tickets is. They are the guarantee of the autograph once the line has formed. And they also nailed the reasons why we don't just give away tickets as people show up. So well done, Max!
Rea Konecki
Director of Guest Relations 2017

User avatar
Darkvyse88
Determined Poster
Posts: 223
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:09 pm
Location: Dracut, MA

Re: Changes in Autograph Policy

Post by Darkvyse88 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:47 pm

I have a question regarding the Guests. I remember last year that the two actors from Godzilla and the woman who worked on the Mega Man Soundtrack were signing autographs in the Dealer's Room and not in the usual autograph spot.
Are some guests going to sign in the Dealer's Room or was that just a one time thing?
Cosplay Plans for Anime Boston 2017

Thursday:
Myself

Friday:
18+ Dating Game Surprise

Saturday:
Kazuhira Miller (Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain)
Austin Danger Powers (Austin Powers)

Sunday:
Dad Con

User avatar
Faceman
AB Executive
Posts: 3021
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2006 2:26 am
Location: Boston, MA

Re: Changes in Autograph Policy

Post by Faceman » Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:48 pm

Darkvyse88 wrote:I have a question regarding the Guests. I remember last year that the two actors from Godzilla and the woman who worked on the Mega Man Soundtrack were signing autographs in the Dealer's Room and not in the usual autograph spot.
Are some guests going to sign in the Dealer's Room or was that just a one time thing?
Some guests may be at a booth in the Dealers' Room, either for themselves (usually bands), or at a production company's booth (Funimation, Crunchyroll, etc). They may organize autograph sessions there, but their autograph sessions are controlled by the booth vendor. They may charge a fee, either for the autograph itself or for the merch to be signed, have different time and quantity limits, or other rules.

Those autograph sessions also aren't on our schedule. However, a guest will typically announce if they'll be in the Dealers' Room during one of their convention panels. So you may be able to find out there.
Chris O'Connell
Director of Public Relations 2017
Assistant Director of Public Relations 2015-2016
Webmaster 2010-2016
President of New England Anime Society, Inc.

Have a question? Private Message or Email me!

User avatar
saffieb
Expert Poster
Posts: 73
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:46 pm
Location: Brockton Massachusetts
Contact:

Re: Changes in Autograph Policy

Post by saffieb » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:20 pm

I'm curious about something. The rules state that we can't ask the Guests to take pictures with us, true? But I have seen, on multiple occasions (including with myself last year), the Guests offer to come around to take photos with the fans. Technically, that's not breaking the rules, and I'm pretty sure no fan would decline such an offer, so we can't be penalized for that, right?
AB 2010- Cosplay Pink Haired Geisha
AB 2011- Cosplay Mizore Shirayuki (Rosario + Vampire)
AB 2012- Cosplay Midori Kasunago (Midori No Hibi); AMV Romance Entry "Waiting All My Life"
AB 2013- Cosplay Mizore Shirayuki (Rosario + Vampire); AMV Drama Entry "Twice as Many Stars"
AB 2014- AMV Drama Entry "In Memorium"
AB 2016- Cosplay Anthro Rainbow Dash (My Little Pony)
AB 2017- Cosplay Dark Mousey/Daisuke Niwa (DN Angel)

User avatar
Vu
AB Staff
Posts: 1924
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2006 12:01 am
Location: Brookline, MA

Re: Changes in Autograph Policy

Post by Vu » Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:46 am

saffieb wrote:Technically, that's not breaking the rules, and I'm pretty sure no fan would decline such an offer, so we can't be penalized for that, right?
No, you wouldn't, but you have to remember, everyone else behind you would be penalized. The faster the line moves, the better chance for everyone in line gets their autograph.
Vu Tran
North America Guest Liaison
Anime Boston 2017

Viva la manatee!

Where are the condoms and nunchakus?
- Rebecca Irvin Lee, 2017

ForteGX
Getting the hang of this...
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:27 pm

Re: Changes in Autograph Policy

Post by ForteGX » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:21 pm

Max465 wrote:
ForteGX wrote:Regarding 1 and 4: When can I get the tickets? Is there a change in how the tickets are handed out? Because I have been given the tickets before, but a little too late. By the time tickets were handed out there was already a line of people. Once in a nice organized line, people have no issues. The issue comes when people are not allowed to line up. Are tickets being given to the first people to line up? Doesn't that in a sense incentivize people to continue the hovering to get there at exactly 60 mins before? That just pushes off the issue and doesn't actually solve them. If a person gets a ticket can they just leave and come back later and be allowed on the line?

My suggestion is to allow tickets to be given to people as they arrive and if its not time to line up yet just tell them to come back later with the guarantee that they will get an autograph. People won't hover if they have the security of getting something signed. The mobs/ hovering occur because people are not being guaranteed. Is this not first come? So just hand out the tickets and if its early tell them to come back with the tickets. Handing them out while they are already in a line is too late.
I think people are misinterpreting the point of tickets at this con (unless I'm misinterpreting the point).

Tickets aren't there to guarantee your spot in line at a session. They are there to guarantee you get an autograph ONCE the line has formed. Meaning even if they aren't able to get to your spot in line. You are guaranteed an autograph at the overflow session on Sunday.

A problem with handing out tickets through out the day, is that staff isn't the same throughout the day. People could try and cheat the system. Get a second ticket to try and get more items signed, or even worse try and sell the ticket. This also makes it harder for people who can't get to the con earlier in the day (Especially on Friday).

The current way is more chaotic and has its problems, but I think its the better of the options, IF the staff is actually organized and focused during the line up times.

Edit: Also to add a worst case scenario. Lets say they give out tickets before hand. But mid-day they're all out of tickets. All 100 tickets are gone.

Then say NONE of those 100 people with tickets show up (Say there was another event at the same time they wanted to go to and went "I have a ticket, I'll just go to the overflow line").

That's 100 people at the overflow line, and that's not what it's meant for. But everyone has their ticket so AB would HAVE to honor it. That would be its own nightmare for the staff as well as the guest giving the autograph.
But those 100 will come. And there could be a ticketed line and a non ticketed line for people hoping to get in. You can also just make it so that the people with the tickets must be there at 30 minutes before or forfeit their spot. Also to prevent people from getting multiples the ticket could be a stamping their pass. There are ways to do it. Also the tickets running out mid day is not an issue. Look, in the end what is the most fair way to give people tickets? First come first serve comes to mind, which is what lining up does anyway. Furthermore, the concerts are ticketed similarly.

The point is the issue is the hovering, which creates a rush when the line officially starts. You can't just tell people to go away, because they have nowhere to go to. All that does is tell them to loiter elsewhere. I know people who were pinned against a wall because there was a staff organized unofficial line that people rushed into when they made it after trying to shoo people away that was turned into a mob by the staff telling people to spread out and then telling them to go against the wall for an official line. It does not take a genius to tell that the people already on the wall will be squished by the people who aren't. If you want to get people to disperse and not take up space in that hallway and not loiter/hover, you have to guarantee them a spot otherwise the best way for them to get a spot is to hover. I am disappointed to see that this is not the primary concern. But if that is the decision that is made it is the decision that is made.

calima92
Getting the hang of this...
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2016 2:54 pm

Re: Changes in Autograph Policy

Post by calima92 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:19 pm

where do you go I can't tell by the schedule. Is it the third level of the sheraton?

User avatar
LadyLark
AB Executive
Posts: 70
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:33 am

Re: Changes in Autograph Policy

Post by LadyLark » Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:12 pm

Yep. Sheraton third floor. You can find the map HERE. Just make sure when you line up you follow staff instructions and all autographs policies.

See you at the con!
Rea Konecki
Director of Guest Relations 2017

Gackage
Experienced Poster
Posts: 29
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:57 pm
Contact:

Re: Changes in Autograph Policy

Post by Gackage » Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:21 pm

What is this 'surprise autographs' on Sunday? Is it a guest only there for that day? Is it random guests signing? How do you know what guests are doing autographs?

Gackage
Experienced Poster
Posts: 29
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:57 pm
Contact:

Re: Changes in Autograph Policy

Post by Gackage » Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:22 pm

Do autographs cost money?

User avatar
Max465
Experienced Poster
Posts: 39
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:46 pm
Location: The Shire

Re: Changes in Autograph Policy

Post by Max465 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:45 am

Gackage wrote:Do autographs cost money?
Nope

User avatar
LadyLark
AB Executive
Posts: 70
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:33 am

Re: Changes in Autograph Policy

Post by LadyLark » Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:25 pm

Gackage wrote:What is this 'surprise autographs' on Sunday? Is it a guest only there for that day? Is it random guests signing? How do you know what guests are doing autographs?
That's Hiromi Wakabayashi's autograph session. By the time the schedule went live, he wasn't announced yet so that was a placeholder for his time. No worries, guidebook and the online schedule will be updated in time for the con. ^_^
Rea Konecki
Director of Guest Relations 2017

User avatar
Old_School_Anime_Lover02
Committed Poster
Posts: 661
Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:56 pm

Re: Changes in Autograph Policy

Post by Old_School_Anime_Lover02 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:26 pm

Faceman wrote:
Darkvyse88 wrote:I have a question regarding the Guests. I remember last year that the two actors from Godzilla and the woman who worked on the Mega Man Soundtrack were signing autographs in the Dealer's Room and not in the usual autograph spot.
Are some guests going to sign in the Dealer's Room or was that just a one time thing?
Some guests may be at a booth in the Dealers' Room, either for themselves (usually bands), or at a production company's booth (Funimation, Crunchyroll, etc). They may organize autograph sessions there, but their autograph sessions are controlled by the booth vendor. They may charge a fee, either for the autograph itself or for the merch to be signed, have different time and quantity limits, or other rules.

Those autograph sessions also aren't on our schedule. However, a guest will typically announce if they'll be in the Dealers' Room during one of their convention panels. So you may be able to find out there.
to piggy back on this; if you can find a guest floating around somewhere (And they're not busy) and you have a pen on you, then they're usually more then happy to sign something for you...

and as for the dealers room, when I got my autograph from LK at ct con, I bought a T-shirt, and he signed my bag, so the fee might be you just have to buy something.

just have a magic marker on you at all times
cosplays i have complete:
Rocket Member (myself as a team rocket member)
Yurio (yuri on ice)
Rinku (yu yu hakusho
Magi (aladdin Magnoshetot)

I am only so nice once your mean to me i will ignore you and pretend you don't exist: childish but effective

User avatar
Vu
AB Staff
Posts: 1924
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2006 12:01 am
Location: Brookline, MA

Re: Changes in Autograph Policy

Post by Vu » Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:58 am

Old_School_Anime_Lover02 wrote:to piggy back on this; if you can find a guest floating around somewhere (And they're not busy) and you have a pen on you, then they're usually more then happy to sign something for you...
If a guest is wandering around, they may be heading somewhere or just doing their own thing. Asking for an autograph in the middle of a hallway can cause a lot of traffic. One person will ask for an autograph, then others will see and ask for one as well. Now there's a crowd of people and it's causing a jam. If you see a guest, you can wave and say hi, but wait until their autograph session for autographs.
Vu Tran
North America Guest Liaison
Anime Boston 2017

Viva la manatee!

Where are the condoms and nunchakus?
- Rebecca Irvin Lee, 2017

User avatar
Old_School_Anime_Lover02
Committed Poster
Posts: 661
Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:56 pm

Re: Changes in Autograph Policy

Post by Old_School_Anime_Lover02 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:18 pm

Vu wrote:
Old_School_Anime_Lover02 wrote:to piggy back on this; if you can find a guest floating around somewhere (And they're not busy) and you have a pen on you, then they're usually more then happy to sign something for you...
If a guest is wandering around, they may be heading somewhere or just doing their own thing. Asking for an autograph in the middle of a hallway can cause a lot of traffic. One person will ask for an autograph, then others will see and ask for one as well. Now there's a crowd of people and it's causing a jam. If you see a guest, you can wave and say hi, but wait until their autograph session for autographs.
what if they're in the dealers room at their booth?
cosplays i have complete:
Rocket Member (myself as a team rocket member)
Yurio (yuri on ice)
Rinku (yu yu hakusho
Magi (aladdin Magnoshetot)

I am only so nice once your mean to me i will ignore you and pretend you don't exist: childish but effective

User avatar
Vu
AB Staff
Posts: 1924
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2006 12:01 am
Location: Brookline, MA

Re: Changes in Autograph Policy

Post by Vu » Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:23 pm

Old_School_Anime_Lover02 wrote:what if they're in the dealers room at their booth?
Faceman wrote:Some guests may be at a booth in the Dealers' Room, either for themselves (usually bands), or at a production company's booth (Funimation, Crunchyroll, etc). They may organize autograph sessions there, but their autograph sessions are controlled by the booth vendor. They may charge a fee, either for the autograph itself or for the merch to be signed, have different time and quantity limits, or other rules.
Vu Tran
North America Guest Liaison
Anime Boston 2017

Viva la manatee!

Where are the condoms and nunchakus?
- Rebecca Irvin Lee, 2017

User avatar
Old_School_Anime_Lover02
Committed Poster
Posts: 661
Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:56 pm

Re: Changes in Autograph Policy

Post by Old_School_Anime_Lover02 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:30 pm

Vu wrote:
Old_School_Anime_Lover02 wrote:what if they're in the dealers room at their booth?
Faceman wrote:Some guests may be at a booth in the Dealers' Room, either for themselves (usually bands), or at a production company's booth (Funimation, Crunchyroll, etc). They may organize autograph sessions there, but their autograph sessions are controlled by the booth vendor. They may charge a fee, either for the autograph itself or for the merch to be signed, have different time and quantity limits, or other rules.
right right sorry i had a super long day i forgot about that ._.;
cosplays i have complete:
Rocket Member (myself as a team rocket member)
Yurio (yuri on ice)
Rinku (yu yu hakusho
Magi (aladdin Magnoshetot)

I am only so nice once your mean to me i will ignore you and pretend you don't exist: childish but effective

zerochan93
I'm new!
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:16 pm

Re: Changes in Autograph Policy

Post by zerochan93 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:27 pm

My concern is the whole ticket thing when that officially starts and when people can actually line up.

When I went to the convention last year I followed the rules and stayed in the same building where the autograph sessions were being held and because of the rule of not waiting I obviously did not go into the area where they were holding the autograph sessions before the 60 minute time limit. However when it was finally time to line up/get your ticket there was a bunch of people actually already waiting and a bunch of people poured into the area at once and the people that followed the rules and show up right at the 60 minute mark actually got sent to the back of the line and we were told by the staff that we were not going to be getting an autograph.

This was really aggravating that not only were there already people there BEFORE the 60 minute mark but the people who showed up after the ones who showed up right at the 60 minute mark got sent to the back of the waiting rooms. Fortunately myself and a few others who complained to the staff about the incident were able to get tickets to get autographs but man that was almost heart breaking.

I really hope they find a way to let us know exactly how this whole autograph thing is going to happen because if there are people going to be lining up before the 60 minute mark or if there is going to be a time frame of people to get tickets for the autograph session should really be explained a bit better so we know what to expect to do when the time comes around.

tardis624
Getting the hang of this...
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:45 am

Re: Changes in Autograph Policy

Post by tardis624 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:55 pm

zerochan93 wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:27 pm
My concern is the whole ticket thing when that officially starts and when people can actually line up.

When I went to the convention last year I followed the rules and stayed in the same building where the autograph sessions were being held and because of the rule of not waiting I obviously did not go into the area where they were holding the autograph sessions before the 60 minute time limit. However when it was finally time to line up/get your ticket there was a bunch of people actually already waiting and a bunch of people poured into the area at once and the people that followed the rules and show up right at the 60 minute mark actually got sent to the back of the line and we were told by the staff that we were not going to be getting an autograph.

This was really aggravating that not only were there already people there BEFORE the 60 minute mark but the people who showed up after the ones who showed up right at the 60 minute mark got sent to the back of the waiting rooms. Fortunately myself and a few others who complained to the staff about the incident were able to get tickets to get autographs but man that was almost heart breaking.

I really hope they find a way to let us know exactly how this whole autograph thing is going to happen because if there are people going to be lining up before the 60 minute mark or if there is going to be a time frame of people to get tickets for the autograph session should really be explained a bit better so we know what to expect to do when the time comes around.
I saw the same thing last year. I think to be more realistic they just need to accept that people ARE going to line up more than an hour ahead, and account for it. Letting people just gather unorganized in other places is just going to cause chaos and upset people... obviously there's limited room, but if you account for it happening, and everyone knows where people are supposed to be when, I think it's do-able. One of the worst things was also when you did show up 60 minutes prior to the time to then find out that oh, this isn't where it is, it's over there, and now you're even that much further behind... :-/ waiting for hours in line is definitely the suckiest part :(

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests