Port Con 2017

Planning to attend another convention or anime event and looking for friends to hang out with or join your cosplay group? This is the place for attendee discussion. This is not a place for other conventions' staff to post their announcements.
Old_School_Anime_Lover02
Committed Poster

Port Con 2017

Post by Old_School_Anime_Lover02 »

so i needed a new convention to replace ct con because i need something new....and now that AB is done and over with i can finally focus on Port Con, who's going and what cosplays can i see? This is my first time going to Port con, but not new to the convention seen
cosplays i have complete:
Rocket Member (myself as a team rocket member)
Yurio (yuri on ice)
Rinku (yu yu hakusho
Magi (aladdin Magnoshetot)

I am only so nice once your mean to me i will ignore you and pretend you don't exist: childish but effective
Kusuguru Usagi
Dedicated Poster

Re: Port Con 2017

Post by Kusuguru Usagi »

I won't be attending PortCon this year, but I went there for the very first time last year. Even though PortCon is alot smaller than AB, I enjoyed it every bit as much due to the quality of the panels, some of which I've seen at AB, too, and the proximity to restaurants/stores/the Maine Mall are nice as well. You'll have a real fun time there. :) :)

It's also a very easy drive up, if you're familiar with the Maine Turnpike. Also, parking is free (it's a HUGE parking lot).

If you've never been to Portland, the waterfront has been totally redone, with beautiful shops and excellent restaurants, if you should choose to spend an extra day up there.
Animelover995
Veteran Poster

Post by Animelover995 »

Portcon is a MUCH smaller con than Anime Boston. It has a smaller dealers room as well. Though Portcon has around 3-4 thousand people that attend(which has no comparison to AB that has over 27 thousand), it is a welcoming con that people can go to. Portcon Maine has a lot of character panels, which are fun to attend, as well as a lounge room(with air conditioning) to chill, fix cosplays, and talk with people. I find that Portcon has a very family friendly atmosphere. If someone has a problem, everyone is there to help.

Next, I would suggest cosplay according to the weather. Most of the cosplays have short sleeves and not many layers. It is summer time so it can get fairly hot for everyone. I would suggest cosplays that don't have boots, 500 layers, and pants. For me this is fairly difficult(most of my cosplays have all of the above) so I try to limit how much time I am in the sun. Nobody wants heat stroke.

Cosplays you will see usually vary. I have seen some amazing cosplays and some just ok cosplays. I have seen quite a few anime cosplays, but I have also seen a lot of video game and american cartoon cosplays.

If you are looking for something similar to Anime Boston, Connecticon is probably where to go. However, if you want something smaller and welcoming Portcon is what you're looking for! I hope to see you there! If you happen to have any other questions I will absolutely answer to the best of my ability! Hope I helped.
Anime Boston 2020(pending)- Xayah, Crowley(ONS), Kakashi(Gaiden), Maka, Natsu
Anime Boston 2017- Guren, Lavi, Yuri Katsuki, Kakashi(Gaiden), Shizuo
Anime Boston 2016- Lavi, Izaya, Kakashi(Gaiden), Allen Walker
Anime Boston 2015- Allen Walker, Kirito, Asuna
Anime Boston 2013- Tenten
Kusuguru Usagi
Dedicated Poster

Post by Kusuguru Usagi »

I thought I would add, in case you didn't already know, the DoubleTree Hotel, where PortCon is held, is sold out. They have a list of overflow hotels on the convention website.

I'll re-share a story RE the hotels when I went there last year: the con rate was available for both the Fri. and Sat. nights of the con, ($139-/night at the DoubleTree) but it wasn't available for that Thurs. night. They told me they could give me a room at the regular rate of $349- for that Thurs. O_O My jaw dropped, and I was thinking, "What the?!?" To make a long story short, I booked my room for that Fri. and Sat. at the DoubleTree, I politely declined the offer of the room at that regular rate, and I got a room at the nearby Hampton Inn at the con rate for that Thurs. So, it all worked out well in the end, plus, the Hampton had shuttle service to the DoubleTree, & vice versa. :) :)
Old_School_Anime_Lover02
Committed Poster

Kusuguru Usagi wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:53 am I thought I would add, in case you didn't already know, the DoubleTree Hotel, where PortCon is held, is sold out. They have a list of overflow hotels on the convention website.

I'll re-share a story RE the hotels when I went there last year: the con rate was available for both the Fri. and Sat. nights of the con, ($139-/night at the DoubleTree) but it wasn't available for that Thurs. night. They told me they could give me a room at the regular rate of $349- for that Thurs. O_O My jaw dropped, and I was thinking, "What the?!?" To make a long story short, I booked my room for that Fri. and Sat. at the DoubleTree, I politely declined the offer of the room at that regular rate, and I got a room at the nearby Hampton Inn at the con rate for that Thurs. So, it all worked out well in the end, plus, the Hampton had shuttle service to the DoubleTree, & vice versa. :) :)
we got the last full room in the double tree, and i'm fully aware that it's sold out ^^ but thanks for the heads up, also not to be a smart a** but the double tree owns the hampton inn, (As far as i'm aware it does i could be wrong but i'm like 90% sure that's true and that's nice to bad you can't make it though
Animelover995 wrote:
that's exactly the reason i booked Port con this year, because 1, it's been on my radar screen for years on end, and i needed a different convention to replace connection to be quite honest, I've volunteered for them since 2004 (i'm an old fart) and CT con has just gone so down hill that i didn't even bother to pre reg for it this year...I'm a local to ct and i can't stand my own convention to the point where i have to travel for my conventions: the furthest i went for a convention out of state was the vermont convention...(talk about little)

that also reminds me i should make cosplay plans, I know i'll want to do my spring/winter convention and I'm so used to doing little Rinku in the summer time anyway, though how are they with bringing water bottles in the convention? I know AB doesn't have a problem with it, but CT con doesn't like it if it's full, i can get away with it because I know most of the blue shirt staff...
Yurio (yuri on ice)
Rinku (yu yu hakusho

I am only so nice once your mean to me i will ignore you and pretend you don't exist: childish but effective
Animelover995
Veteran Poster

Post by Animelover995 »

They encourage bringing water bottles. They used to have a station to get water(cups and all), but last year they took away the cups and just had water. I would suggest bringing a reusable water bottle. They will never say no to water bottles, it's 80 degrees out!
Anime Boston 2020(pending)- Xayah, Crowley(ONS), Kakashi(Gaiden), Maka, Natsu
Anime Boston 2017- Guren, Lavi, Yuri Katsuki, Kakashi(Gaiden), Shizuo
Anime Boston 2016- Lavi, Izaya, Kakashi(Gaiden), Allen Walker
Anime Boston 2015- Allen Walker, Kirito, Asuna
Anime Boston 2013- Tenten
Old_School_Anime_Lover02
Committed Poster

Animelover995 wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:12 am They encourage bringing water bottles. They used to have a station to get water(cups and all), but last year they took away the cups and just had water. I would suggest bringing a reusable water bottle. They will never say no to water bottles, it's 80 degrees out!
great! i'll just bring the water bottle i bought at ab, it comes with a clip so i won't lose it!
Yurio (yuri on ice)
Rinku (yu yu hakusho

Kusuguru Usagi
Dedicated Poster

Post by Kusuguru Usagi »

Old_School_Anime_Lover02 wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:51 pmwe got the last full room in the double tree, and i'm fully aware that it's sold out ^^ but thanks for the heads up, also not to be a smart a** but the double tree owns the hampton inn, (As far as i'm aware it does i could be wrong but i'm like 90% sure that's true and that's nice to bad you can't make it though
Oh no problem at all. ^_^ ^_^ That's great you were able to get the last room available. *gives thumbs up* Yes, you are correct, the Hampton Inn & DoubleTree are part of the same hotel family. :) :) Well, hopefully next year I'll be able to attend PortCon.

OH!! One other thing to add RE water: the hotel's restaurant, at the bar, attendees could get their water bottles filled with water there as well.
Old_School_Anime_Lover02
Committed Poster

Kusuguru Usagi wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:43 am
Old_School_Anime_Lover02 wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:51 pmwe got the last full room in the double tree, and i'm fully aware that it's sold out ^^ but thanks for the heads up, also not to be a smart a** but the double tree owns the hampton inn, (As far as i'm aware it does i could be wrong but i'm like 90% sure that's true and that's nice to bad you can't make it though
Oh no problem at all. ^_^ ^_^ That's great you were able to get the last room available. *gives thumbs up* Yes, you are correct, the Hampton Inn & DoubleTree are part of the same hotel family. :) :) Well, hopefully next year I'll be able to attend PortCon.

OH!! One other thing to add RE water: the hotel's restaurant, at the bar, attendees could get their water bottles filled with water there as well.
good tip thanks for the help :>
Yurio (yuri on ice)
Rinku (yu yu hakusho

stokage
Expert Poster

Post by stokage »

I used to go every year, but I stopped because they dropped the major Anime influence (which is why I went originally even dating back to the first ever one) and went with more of a miscellaneous geek idiom. It works for a lot of people but not for me, since when I go to such a con I focus on Anime, whether it's purchases, watching screenings, taking pictures of Anime cosplay, Anime themed panels.

Just my two cents - if you've never been try it, but if Anime is your main focus, the even smaller AniMaine which is late in the calendar year may be more your style - too bad it wasn't bigger.

S
AB 2012: S-Kogure Kiminobu (Slam Dunk)
AB 2013: F-Harima Kenji (School Rumble), S-Tuxedo Mask
AB 2014: F-Harima Kenji, S-Chinese Dragon, Tuxedo Mask
AB 2015: S-Jin (Samurai Champloo)
AB 2016: F-Jin, S-Yu Narukami
AB 2017: S-Jin
AB 2018: F-Tuxedo Mask, S-Yu Narukami, Su-Jin
AB 2019: F-Clark Kent, S-Tuxedo Mask, Su-Jin
AB 2020: Cancelled
AB 2021: Cancelled
AB 2022: AB Boycott due to shot requirement
AB 2023: Same as above
AB 2024: Maybe (IF shot requirement is rescinded)
Old_School_Anime_Lover02
Committed Poster

stokage wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:12 pm I used to go every year, but I stopped because they dropped the major Anime influence (which is why I went originally even dating back to the first ever one) and went with more of a miscellaneous geek idiom. It works for a lot of people but not for me, since when I go to such a con I focus on Anime, whether it's purchases, watching screenings, taking pictures of Anime cosplay, Anime themed panels.

Just my two cents - if you've never been try it, but if Anime is your main focus, the even smaller AniMaine which is late in the calendar year may be more your style - too bad it wasn't bigger.

S
for me anime isn't a big draw, i mean yea i go to ab. but i like that it can be games or Disney related now, it's not just 'anime' anymore

but CT con kinda put me off when they got way to big and started charging $95 at the door when they're not really worth $95....so i decided looking into port con

see, now i have something to compare to CT con rather then going to two other anime conventions during the year and one very small and not a good dealers room, and one a nice size, and with a very good dealers room...i'm more focused on the AA these days rather then the dealers room anyway....

i'm more into old school anime, so this year would be the time for me to go i guess....alot of the guests this year of anime realated and i wish i didn't miss Crunk witch but meh.... it's what ever, i just need a change in my life and it starts with convention so we'll see, the fact that it's only 45$ at the door (i could have paid 40 but i'll see how good it is and pre reg next year if i like it) :mrgreen:

i heard the anime cosplay was still in tact, but for me, i'll most likely bring my rocket cosplay and my steampunk cosplay and call it day i'm not very fancy when it comes to cosplay anyway

i like to read, steampunk, and si-fi as it is, so this makes me pretty and if there's a "dash" of anime in the mix it's not so bad either know what i mean?
Yurio (yuri on ice)
Rinku (yu yu hakusho

Kusuguru Usagi
Dedicated Poster

Post by Kusuguru Usagi »

I wanted to tell you one other thing about PortCon: the main events (dances, etc.) are held in tents outside. When I went last year, I had seen Odaiko New England perform (taiko drum group), and the show was in a tent. They kept it very comfortable temperature-wise inside the tents. :) :)

Also, there is a Cracker Barrel next to the hotel, & their food is really yummy there. I ate there several times.Also, too, if you're a seafood lover, at the hotel restaurant, DO try their fish sandwich. It's HUGE and VERY tasty. ^_^ ^_^