Emerson College

Looking for an anime club in your area or at a college? That's what this forum is for.
shellyshellz
Veteran Poster

Emerson College

Post by shellyshellz »

Alright, I thought I had posted this before, but I may have forgotten to press "add post"...I'm very spacey, so it's a disticnt possibility. :P

Anyway, hi. I'm a junior in high school and I'm starting to really get down to the nitty-gritty in the college search project...thing. Emerson College in Boston is pretty much #1 on my list, but I noticed they don't have an anime club. Since I am (obviously) an anime fan, I was wondering if anyone here goes to Emerson or knows anime fans who attend the school and if they interact at all.

Any help is great!
KAIN SLICKER
I'm Special!

Emerson College

Post by KAIN SLICKER »

[quote=shellyshellz]Alright, I thought I had posted this before, but I may have forgotten to press "add post"...I'm very spacey, so it's a disticnt possibility. :P

Anyway, hi. I'm a junior in high school and I'm starting to really get down to the nitty-gritty in the college search project...thing. Emerson College in Boston is pretty much #1 on my list, but I noticed they don't have an anime club. Since I am (obviously) an anime fan, I was wondering if anyone here goes to Emerson or knows anime fans who attend the school and if they interact at all.

Any help is great![/quote]

Dear ShellyShellz,

Fear not You are in good hands -

Me Myself and I are a graduate of Emerson College since last year. PM or email me for your specific questions, and I'll tell you a thing or two whether it's about Dennis Leary's spiteful commencement speech (may God bless him), or the elevator dramaas.
theorangecat
AB Staff

Emerson College

Post by theorangecat »

I am proud to be an Emerson student (I just finished my second year)...and yes, there isn't an official anime club at Emerson - however, it is very popular on campus (we anime fans are hiding everywhere). I'm sure that if someone started an anime club, there would be plenty of people interested ^_^
Jaimee K

'12 - '24 - Live Video Production
'11 - Junior Tech Staff
'07 - '10 - Formal Dance Staff
MasterJackosan
AB Alumni

Emerson College

Post by MasterJackosan »

I just finished my freshman year at Emerson and I found out towards the 2nd semester there are plenty of people who love anime. Now that you mention it, I'm surprised there isn't an anime club. Hmm...well I guess one could always start next year ^_^
Jack Placidi

AB 2008-2010: Formal Dance Staff
AB 2011: Jr. Tech Staff
AB 2012-2019: Live Video Production Staff

"Be excellent to each other and party on dudes!"
shellyshellz
Veteran Poster

Emerson College

Post by shellyshellz »

Yay! ^^ I'm so glad there are actually anime people there...I was thinking it would be hard for there not to be, considering the college is like...what, a mile or so from where AB is usually held? But I'm a club-starter, so if I do end up at Emerson (which I probably will :P) I shall start an anime club. Probably within, like, my first week.
KAIN SLICKER
I'm Special!

Emerson College

Post by KAIN SLICKER »

[quote=shellyshellz]Yay! ^^ I'm so glad there are actually anime people there...I was thinking it would be hard for there not to be, considering the college is like...what, a mile or so from where AB is usually held? But I'm a club-starter, so if I do end up at Emerson (which I probably will :P) I shall start an anime club. Probably within, like, my first week.[/quote]

I'd totally vouch for that - there are fans around Emerson but they need to be UNITED. Because honestly there are 2000 kids there and growing, and the guy you meet as your best friend freshman year could be seen next time in your last senior year.

I literally walked from Emerson to the Hynes convention center - it's a 15 min. walk and not bad at all. Plus you get all the gawking attention from tourists, if you're dressed up in weirdness which I adore.

Also you can take the MBTA and get there in about 5 min. tops.

Just curious to know... what will you be majoring in, if you've decided that yet at Emerson? If you're worried about costs too, go for Fin. Aid - it paid for half my costs seriously (plus with some help from home and scholarships and one loan).
KAIN SLICKER
I'm Special!

Emerson College

Post by KAIN SLICKER »

This is more of a general question to everyone else on this forum (which may help out our friend ShellyShellz here).

So what is everyone else here majoring in at Emerson?
shellyshellz
Veteran Poster

Emerson College

Post by shellyshellz »

I'm planning to be a Writing, Literature, and Publishing major. I've been writing since I was really little and it's really a passion. I'm a little disappointed that I can't double-major with theatre, but from what I understand you can get involved with acting and tech even if you're not a theatre major.

Also, in an attempt to keep us *slightly* on-topic (so as to not get the topic deleted ^^) what anime does everyone like? Just so, y'know, we can be united as future club members. :P My faves right now are Paradise Kiss and Bleach (and yes, I am completely aware that they are on opposite ends of the anime spectrum), but I still stay true to my roots and watch Yu Yu Hakusho and Digimon sometimes--a flashback to the days of youth and all that jazz. :P
KAIN SLICKER
I'm Special!

Emerson College

Post by KAIN SLICKER »

[quote=shellyshellz]I'm planning to be a Writing, Literature, and Publishing major. I've been writing since I was really little and it's really a passion. I'm a little disappointed that I can't double-major with theatre, but from what I understand you can get involved with acting and tech even if you're not a theatre major.

Also, in an attempt to keep us *slightly* on-topic (so as to not get the topic deleted ^^) what anime does everyone like? Just so, y'know, we can be united as future club members. :P My faves right now are Paradise Kiss and Bleach (and yes, I am completely aware that they are on opposite ends of the anime spectrum), but I still stay true to my roots and watch Yu Yu Hakusho and Digimon sometimes--a flashback to the days of youth and all that jazz. :P[/quote]

About the double majoring stuff, and tech/acting - half of that is true (unless Emerson changed it's policy, which I'm presuming might have happened). I'll shoot an email about this.

As for anime, my roots were DBZ, Blue Sub No.6 and one of the holy grail precursors of PIRATE THEMED ANIME:

OUTLAW STAR

Others off the top of my head include:

Elfen Lied
Gantz (catch up with the manga though, seriously)
Texhnolyze
BGCT 2040
Barefoot Gen
Nausica
Laputa
Noein

of course Speed Grapher

Saikano

Currently I'm watching:
Claymore, Darker Than Black, Gurren Lagann, and the rest of MONSTER

I'd would come to this club yes - MAKE IT HAPPEN!

PS - So who in the Uranus put up that quote I'm reading on the Current Quote Section? *cheers to them, it ain't me.

"Anime + Emerson = Amerson!"
~ Anonymous
KAIN SLICKER
I'm Special!

Emerson College

Post by KAIN SLICKER »

And thought Samurai Champloo was ghetto - you MUST to watch TOKYO TRIBE 2!
theorangecat
AB Staff

Emerson College

Post by theorangecat »

Let's see, I'm a TV/Video major (which was divided into two different majors as of last year). As far as double-majoring goes, I believe that as long as the majors are from 2 different departments, you should be able to...at least, that's how it was back when I was applying, it may have changed.

As far as anime goes, Outlaw Star is my all time favorite (along with at least one other Emersonian who isn't on the AB forums). I'm also very fond of Fruits Basket and Ouran High School Host Club. And Hellsing - can't forget Hellsing. Oh yeah, I recently got hooked on Le Chevalier D'Eon.

*laughs* I wish I wrote that quote, but sadly, it wasn't me
Jaimee K

'12 - '24 - Live Video Production
'11 - Junior Tech Staff
'07 - '10 - Formal Dance Staff
merk
AB Alumni

Emerson College

Post by merk »

I graduated from Emerson, class of '97...so yeah, there are anime fans at Emerson.

:cool:
Victor Lee
Director of Guest Relations
Anime Boston 2019
Tesh-chan
Experienced Poster

Emerson College

Post by Tesh-chan »

Aw, this is pretty much a dead thread, but I shall revive it. :D

I'm transferring to Emerson starting this January, and I'd love to meet anyone with my similar interests. ^^ Maybe there's a club by now?
mlirblur
I'm new!

Emerson College

Post by mlirblur »

I necropost as well...

I'm a Sophomore radio major, and I went to AB 07 and 08. I can tell you that currently, otaku don't exactly stick out like sore thumbs here, but there are actually a large amount of people you'd never expect that can randomly strike up a conversation with you about anime in some capacity. Most people are only into a couple of series, but usually love hearing recommendations. There aren't many congoer-level anime fans, but tons of casual fans.