Once again, how do you feel now that the convention is over?

This forum is for sharing photos, videos, reports, and finding people from Anime Boston 2016.

Moderator: Nyuu

coolforever
AB Alumni

Once again, how do you feel now that the convention is over?

Post by coolforever »

The yearly topic I make for you all to express your feelings in terms of how you are now that the con is officially over. :P

This year I don't feel too bad that the convention is over. It was quite a lot of fun as always, and there were several highlights of the con that made me REALLY enjoy it. Post con depression doesn't usually hit me that hard any more since I have a lot more cons to look forward to this year, and I'm going back to Japan in June so I'm REALLY excited for that :D

So, how do you guys feel now that we've wrapped up AB 2016?
Mike Sweeney
Anime Boston Game Show Staff 2018 & 2019

Previous Anime Boston Badge Names:

AB 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011: Kiba. AB 2007: Shin'ichi Kudo. AB 2012: Kiba the Eurobeat Lover.
AB 2013: Kaitou Kid the Eurobeat Lover. Anime Boston 2014: Kaitou Kid the 80's J-Pop Lover.
AB 2015: Kaitou Kid the Sonic Fan. AB 2016: Kaitou Kid the Wolfman. AB 2017: Kaitou Kid the Rocketeer.

Wolf's Rain will always be my #1 favorite Anime of all time. :)
royalbakaness
Obsessed Poster

Re: Once again, how do you feel now that the convention is over?

Post by royalbakaness »

I feel like a zombie...
I had a blast at the con. I think this may have been my favorite AB out of the seven years I've attended. But now that it's over, I'm wicked tired (good thing it's a slow day at work), my feet have blisters from my boots on Saturday, and my cat won't let me out of his sight lest I leave him again. I enjoyed the con greatly, though, and I'm looking forward to next year.
A swirly ice-cream cone of good and evil
AB 10: Ryo-ohki
AB 11: Touko Amano, Luna in cat form, Ryo-ohki
AB 12: Belarus, Hungary, fem!Canada
AB 13 : Eponine, GLaDOS, Sunako Nakahara
AB 14 : Princess Cadance, GLaDOS, Applejack
AB 15: Makise Kurisu
AB 16: GLaDOS, Steampunk Alice, Scarlet Benoit
AB 17: Ryo-ohki, Rei Hino (school uniform), Sunako Nakahara
AB 18: Cinder (Lunar Chronicles), casual steampunk
foreverfinn
Veteran Poster

Post by foreverfinn »

Very tired and sore but looking forward to next year!
AB 2018 Cosplay Lineup

Thursday: ???
Friday: ??? / ???
Saturday: Wonderful Rush Rin Hoshizora (Love Live!) performing with Shining Sky Idol Project / ???
Sunday: Cheer Nozomi Tojo (Love Live!)

Next Con

???

Instagram

@forever.withyoursoul
Shiroikami
Veteran Poster

Post by Shiroikami »

Tired, but happy. I saw all the people I wanted to see (who were actually at the convention, at least), did some fun things, got some nice stuff, and generally had a good time.

Was somewhat annoyed by the additional security measures this year (metal detectors, really?), and the poor handling of traffic flow resulting from them, but I also get that that's not really something that the AB staff has any control over. Can someone tell the Hynes that having both bag checks AND metal detectors is a bit redundant though? I mean seriously, having to wait 30+ minutes outdoors to get back into the Hynes after getting out of a panel at the Sheraton (or getting lunch) at this time of year is a bit NG.

But now I have like, seven series that I have to watch that will totally be keeping me busy until next year.
Flying is easy. You just have to learn to throw yourself at the ground... and miss...

2007 - Shinigami in Pink
2008 - Mitsuru (Persona 3)
2010 - Jade Curtiss: Doctor Mambo costume title (Tales of the Abyss)
2012 - Xion (Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days)
2013 - Yukionna
2014 - Kyubei (Puella Magi Madoka Magica)
2015 - Sailor Jupiter
2016 - Akatsuki (Log Horizon)
2017 - Sailor Jupiter
Arakni666
Experienced Poster

Post by Arakni666 »

I've got a little bit of post-con depression going on, mostly because I don't know when I'll be able to go to a convention again next, and I injured myself slightly thanks to binding my chest(which is why I didn't bother on Sunday). But I had a fantastic time overall, mostly thanks to the awesome friends I went with and the great reception my cosplay had. Not even the crazy lines put a real damper on that.
Victablook
Expert Poster

Post by Victablook »

Arakni666 wrote:I've got a little bit of post-con depression going on, mostly because I don't know when I'll be able to go to a convention again next, and I injured myself slightly thanks to binding my chest(which is why I didn't bother on Sunday). But I had a fantastic time overall, mostly thanks to the awesome friends I went with and the great reception my cosplay had. Not even the crazy lines put a real damper on that.
Eight hours!!!! Eight hours is the maximum time you can safely bind with a regular binder.
2024:
tails (sonic)
ryuk (death note)
Arakni666
Experienced Poster

Post by Arakni666 »

Vanner wrote: Eight hours!!!! Eight hours is the maximum time you can safely bind with a regular binder.
Veteran crossplayer here! I am VERY safe about how I bind, don't worry. In an ironic twist, I actually managed to injure myself (very slightly, mind) in taking the binding off, not while wearing it.
papertoadette
AB Alumni

Post by papertoadette »

I'm already planning things for next year! Gonna cosplay from my favorite retro video game!

Michelle Light
Junior Tech Staff 2015-2017
Cosplay Games Staff 2018-2019 We Put the PLAY in Cosplay

Cosplays for 2019: Isabelle from Animal Crossing, Sakura from Card Captor Sakura, Toadette from Mario and ??? from ???
Sayoria
AB Staff

Post by Sayoria »

Relieved. Either I am not going next year, or I am doing my damned best to get a panel next year to avoid this happening again. (Not that avoiding the line is exclusively the reason. My friends and I want to actually host a gameshow.)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff: 2024
Master of NERV
Dedicated Poster

Post by Master of NERV »

For the first time in 14 ABs, I am forced to say ambivalent, if not downright worried. Make no mistake--I had a lot of fun: I caught some panels I've never seen before, got to see Monica Rial for the first time in years (yay!), and my trips to the dealers room resulted in some pretty sweet scores. Add to that the open, cheerful camaraderie of my fellow otaku, and I judge the weekend to be a success overall.

Having said that, and though I avoided the worst of the line situation (having pre-reged, arrived Thursday night for my badge, and not cosplaying this year), comments made to me both personally and in these forums are filled with frustration, anger, and in some cases a resolve to give up on this convention once and for all.

And after all these years of loving and supporting Anime Boston, that hurts.

And I'll be honest: I was far from immune to the stress of the security lines, and expended way too much effort timing my departures from the Hynes so that my schedule wasn't shot to hell.

I intend to give feedback in a few days, but I need to sort out my feelings and address only those factors that NEAS has any real power to address.
AB 2003-2023 -- pre-reged for 2024!
2006, '12, '13: Commander Ikari (Evangelion)
2007: Dr. Akai (Maburaho)
Old_School_Anime_Lover02
Committed Poster

Post by Old_School_Anime_Lover02 »

http://cosbook.livejournal.com/ here is my little review on Anime boston, for the first time in forever I actually enjoyed myself, please click the link to my live Jurnal to read more, pics will be posted up on there after CT Con (So it could be one big picture party)
cosplays i have complete:
Rocket Member (myself as a team rocket member)
Yurio (yuri on ice)
Rinku (yu yu hakusho
Magi (aladdin Magnoshetot)

I am only so nice once your mean to me i will ignore you and pretend you don't exist: childish but effective
Alcor
Getting the hang of this...

Post by Alcor »

I feel that security is becoming bullshit. Why did one of the entrances close mid-Saturday? Why did you make us stand in the rain like a bunch of drowned rats? Why aren't you threatening to take your business to the BCC if the Hynes doesn't start cooperating like sensible people and not forcing metal detectors on us?
NanoZero
Experienced Poster

Post by NanoZero »

As someone who has attended Anime Boston since 2006, right after the con I felt a bit sad, but not at the level of sadness that con depression brings. I felt more fatigued than anything, which I expected (since I attended the Kiznaiver premiere at 5AM with only 3-4 hours of sleep,) and felt it for days. Now that I've recovered, I can post my honest thoughts.

I don't know if it was because last year was so awesome for me or what, but I didn't feel like I had an amazing time this year. Sure, I got to meet and see some old friends and my cosplays were great, but the feel of the con this time was more tense and stressed than euphoric. The lines certainly had to do with this.

I really hate to say these things, since I love Anime Boston so much, but I have to admit that I just didn't have as good a time as I usually do. I'd like to voice out my opinions to the staff so that they can address our problems and make 2017 a much better year. Then when this topic comes around next year, I'll have more positive things to say.
Alcor wrote:I feel that security is becoming bullshit. Why did one of the entrances close mid-Saturday? Why did you make us stand in the rain like a bunch of drowned rats? Why aren't you threatening to take your business to the BCC if the Hynes doesn't start cooperating like sensible people and not forcing metal detectors on us?
The AB staff has posted an explanation on why they will not choose the BCEC in the future. You can find it here. Also, Mass law now requires metal detectors during events like these. PAX is getting the exact same security measures this year (Luckily they informed us a whole month in advance.)

I will agree with you on closing the AA entrance on Saturday without any notice. That was uncalled for and should have been handled way ahead of time. They clearly didn't think of that possibility before the con, so what we got was a last minute attempt to control crowds.
AB2012: Kino
AB2013: Misaka Mikoto (casual)
AB2014: Ryuko Matoi (EP 1)
AB2015: Seo Yuzuki & Akatsuki (1st season)
AB2016: Inkling School Girl Version (Splatoon) & Oboro (Fire Emblem Fates)
AB2017:Umi Sonoda (China Dress & Arabian Dancer),Lucina & Hanamaru Kunikida (Winter Uniform)
AB2018:Constellation Umi Sonoda & Makoto Niijima
AB2019: Flower Bouquet Umi Sonoda, Cinnabar, F!Corrin & Ryuko Matoi (Senketsu)
AB2020:
????????
Master of NERV
Dedicated Poster

Post by Master of NERV »

NanoZero wrote:I don't know if it was because last year was so awesome for me or what, but I didn't feel like I had an amazing time this year. Sure, I got to meet and see some old friends and my cosplays were great, but the feel of the con this time was more tense and stressed than euphoric. The lines certainly had to do with this.

I really hate to say these things, since I love Anime Boston so much, but I have to admit that I just didn't have as good a time as I usually do. I'd like to voice out my opinions to the staff so that they can address our problems and make 2017 a much better year. Then when this topic comes around next year, I'll have more positive things to say.
As a fellow congoer, I encourage you to please leave feedback if you haven't already! You might have heard or witnessed something that con staff really needs to hear about.
AB 2003-2023 -- pre-reged for 2024!
2006, '12, '13: Commander Ikari (Evangelion)
2007: Dr. Akai (Maburaho)
THX1139
Veteran Poster

Post by THX1139 »

I felt sad leaving on Sunday, "is it really over". I wished it had gone on for a few more days. For me it's like stepping into an anime. When the con ends, it's like your favorite anime ending.
Badge name THX1139 not cosplaying.