Does this count as a sign?

Looking for advice for your cosplay skit? Need help with your latest costume? Have advice to offer? Looking to sell some commissioned costumes? This is the place!
McNasty
I'm new!

Does this count as a sign?

Post by McNasty » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:19 am

Hello there,

I am planning on "cosplaying" as the "Change My Mind" meme and am planning on creating a custom table for the getup. I just found out that there signs are prohibited, so if I happened to have a sign parodying that meme, would that be allowed? It's not going to have anything offensive or controversial on it. In place of "Pop Tarts are Ravioli, I want to write "Your Waifu Is Trash". Here is an image for anyone who doesn't know about the meme:

I also have the paper already printed out, if that is needed as well.

Thanks for taking the time to read this!

Thrillho
Expert Poster

Re: Does this count as a sign?

Post by Thrillho » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:36 am

(Obligatory not staff so cannot pre-approve but just some advice/observation from an attendee)

Hmm, this is actually a really good question. The sign would be in line with the meme, but it's not anime-related. Plus it's not something you hold up, but rather something that remains low and attached to a table.

I'm honestly not sure. I get the impression that if it was something you wore (like a sandwich board, as an example) it wouldn't be that big of a deal. But this.... haven't seen anything like this before.
Joe aka Gustav
1/4 of Curtain Call Cosplay

AB 2018
Haruko Haruhara (FLCL) / Zant (Legend of Zelda) / Professor Port (RWBY) / Rintarou Okabe (Steins;Gate) / Wario (Mario Franchise) / Over Justice (Space Patrol Luluco)

AB 2017
Spike Spiegel (Cowboy Bebop) / Haruko Haruhara (FLCL) / Oscar Pine (RWBY) / Zant (Hyrule Warriors)

AB 2016 (First Time!)
Professor Ozpin (RWBY) / Spike Spiegel (Cowboy Bebop) / Kouta (Elfen Lied)

MandaTifa
AB Staff

Post by MandaTifa » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:09 am

As usual, no cosplay or prop can be pre-approved before the con. That said, my concern is actually with the table. While not specifically listed in "Prohibited Items," I strongly believe that the Hynes personnel would actually take issue with someone randomly setting up a table around the con and surrounding areas. Unless it's somehow built onto your person as part of a costume, which I've seen done before.

If you decide to bring it and try your luck, please keep all of this in mind. Even if it gets past security, you may be asked to pack it up if Hynes or AB staff think the table might be a problem.
Amanda Graves
Masquerade Staff 2012 - 2019
Attendee 2010-2011
Bakuretsu Con Staff 2009-2016, 2018

The Anime Boston Masquerade Staff Creed: "It's our job to panic so you don't have to."

"Be strong, Red XIII."

McNasty
I'm new!

Post by McNasty » Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:25 pm

I plan on "wearing" the table. The table has a huge hole in the middle and I'm going to wear it like suspenders. The table is 3' by 3' so it's kind of pushing the limits, but I'll still try and press my luck. I guess it doesn't hurt to try and see for myself when I get there.

Thanks for the feedback!

Nenie
Determined Poster

Post by Nenie » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:42 am

I’ve seen people cosplay as ball pits. But the dimensions of their cosplay I believe were not as big as your measurements. But good luck :)
AB07 Aya from Super Gals
AB08 Bouquet from Blue Dragon & Kairi from KH2
AB09 Dawn from Pokemon Diamond and Pearl
AB10 Pan from Dragon Ball GT
AB11 Mio Akiyama from K-On!
AB12 Talim from Soul Calibur 2
AB13 Utena from Revolutionary Girl Utena
AB14 Rico Brzenska from Attack on Titan & Terra from Teen Titans
AB15 Rico Brzenska from Attack on Titan & Utena
AB16 Casey from Pokemon
AB17 Kiyone from Tenchi Muyo & Pokemon Go Trainer
AB18 Team Skull Grunt & Kiyone

MandaTifa
AB Staff

Post by MandaTifa » Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:29 pm

FWIW, I'm fairly sure I saw you around the con and I loved it. Glad you made it work. :lol:
Amanda Graves
Masquerade Staff 2012 - 2019
Attendee 2010-2011
Bakuretsu Con Staff 2009-2016, 2018

The Anime Boston Masquerade Staff Creed: "It's our job to panic so you don't have to."

"Be strong, Red XIII."