Wig Volume Help!

Looking for advice for your cosplay skit? Need help with your latest costume? Have advice to offer? Looking to sell some commissioned costumes? This is the place!
HanaUchima
I'm new!

Wig Volume Help!

Post by HanaUchima » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:32 pm

Hi guys,
So very last minute I decided to make a cosplay and I decided to do Rosalina from Super Mario Galaxy. I was styling her wig (and this is the first time I styled a wig) and when I cut sections for the styled spikey-swoops on the side of her head, I realized what looked fine on my wig stand was kinda thin on the sides of my actual head when I put it on. From the sides it looks fin, and even from behind, but from straight on because of how my hair I actually have and the volume it gives it to the stop, the sides of the wig by my neck look really thin.

Does anyone have a solution for this that doesn't involve adding more hair to the wig? I just don't have the time or the money to add it and sew it in for the first time, so I wasn't sure if anyone had any ideas maybe involving teasing or curling the wig in some way just to give it more volume so it doesn't look so flat?

runicmagitek
Experienced Poster

Re: Wig Volume Help!

Post by runicmagitek » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:03 pm

I'm a little confused by your descriptions and it's hard to see what needs help without seeing pictures, but I worked on a Rosalina wig last year for a friend, so I thought I'd offer some advice with what I did. Are you looking to give the overall wig more volume or just the lil' swoops she has in her hair? Either way, a source of heat (either a flat iron or a hair dryer, but definitely a hair dryer bare minimum) and some hair spray will be your friend. For overall volume, you could section off the hair (probably starting from the bottom) and apply some heat and fluff it out. Apply hairspray before it cools, then blast it was a hair dryer (not too much hair spray or else it can get crunchy and hard). Repeat until you get to the top of the wig. As for the swoops, when I worked on my friend's wig, I used a flat iron on each section and literally held it in the shape I wanted it to be for 10-15 minutes each. I'm assuming you have a synthetic wig, so it will hold that shape. Once you're happy with the swoop's shape, apply some hair spray, blast with with a hair dryer, and put some craft glue on the tips to hold it's form. Hope that helps and best of luck! I know I was petrified when I first styled a wig, but you can do it!
1/4 of Curtain Call Cosplay

Twili Midna (Legend of Zelda) | Canti (FLCL) | Satsuki Kiryuin (Kill la Kill) | Neptune Vasilias (RWBY)
Julia (Cowboy Bebop) | Twili Midna (Legend of Zelda) | Canti (FLCL) | Glynda Goodwitch (RWBY)
Julia (Cowboy Bebop) | Squall Leonhart, SeeD ball uniform (Final Fantasy VIII) | Nicolas Brown (Gangsta)