What constitutes as too inappropriate to wear as a cosplay at this con?

Looking for advice for your cosplay skit? Need help with your latest costume? Have advice to offer? Looking to sell some commissioned costumes? This is the place!
nicoleslaw
I'm new!

What constitutes as too inappropriate to wear as a cosplay at this con?

Post by nicoleslaw » Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:40 pm

I read in the FAQ that skimpy/inappropriate/revealing cosplays are not allowed. I'm assuming this means in a "bikini" type outfit or something from Kill La Kill....I am wondering exactly what constitutes as too revealing to wear. I was planning on wearing a cosplay of Bulma from Dragonball Z in her "playboy bunny" outfit. I personally do not consider it that skimpy as everything is covered, but I'm just curious as to if anyone has had any experience with this situation. For those unaware, the outfit consists of a black leotard (originally the costume does not have straps, but the one I have does have thin straps to keep it from falling down) as well as blue tights and red heels (of course there's a bunny tail, ears, and bowtie with collar). The leotard I have does not really show cleavage at all and is not high cut on the bottom so my rump is pretty well covered up. Do y'all think I would be permitted to wear this or is it too "inappropriate" ?

Rosedust
Getting the hang of this...

Re: What constitutes as too inappropriate to wear as a cosplay at this con?

Post by Rosedust » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:09 pm

I'm not staff, but I have seen people cosplay bunny girl type outfits at AB plenty of times before so you should be fine. I think by "skimpy" they are referring to cosplays that cover as much as a bikini, or less, due to the fact that there is the mixture of "normies" and convention-goers right near the convention from the Prudential Mall area.

DemonGirl-Setsuna
Veteran Poster

Post by DemonGirl-Setsuna » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:20 pm

I think I recall seeing someone cosplaying as that version of Bulma at Anime Boston within the past few years.

So I believe you might be okay. :D
AB 2018 Cosplay(s);

Friday: Rin Okumura (Ao no Exorcist/Blue Exorcist; Kyoto Saga)
Saturday: Sarada Uchiha (Boruto Movie)
Sunday: {Apron} Itachi Uchiha (Sunny-Side Battle OVA)

Been attending Anime Boston since 2010!

WertPhotography
Experienced Poster

Post by WertPhotography » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:57 pm

I took a series of photos of this cospalyer back in 2015. So I'm going to guess it's ok.

snapelicious
AB Staff

Post by snapelicious » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:27 am

While I can't pre-approve anything pre-con, I will say that we have had bikini-type KLK costumes in the past. Just remember that it is early april in Massachusetts, and it will be chilly.

For a bunny-girl costume, you should be fine, but I would recommend bringing something to cover up with, in case you get cold. :)
Cait Webber
After Dark Dating Coordinator
Cosplay Games Staff 2018
No. 1 Hero-in-Training

Ficus
AB Staff

Post by Ficus » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:23 pm

I've cosplayed a bunny girl in the past to Anime Boston, so I'm going to second bringing a light jacket or something to cover up your shoulders when near some of the large windows in the Hynes, walking around the Prudential Center, or if you go out to eat . The open spaces get real drafty and bunny suits aren't known for their layers of warmth.
If anyone asks for a photo, I usually take off the jacket, and put it on the floor nearby in sight, or hand it to a friend to hold. So you still look good and can be warm in between.
Ashley Shaffer
Cosplay Photoshoot Wrangler- 2018

AnnaNeko
Determined Poster

Post by AnnaNeko » Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:53 pm

Have seen plenty of bunnygirl cosplays in prev years they seemed fine! Do bring a sweatshirt or jacket with you. It'll be very handy when you walk outside the con for food and whatnot. The space between Hynes & Sheraton gets really cold when people keep popping outside the side doors for smoking!

(anecdote time, but sometimes it's not even the con who goes "nope, u can't wear that" Couple years ago my friend had a bit of an incident when a hotel guest was scandalized by her outfit, complained to hotel staff and they told the cosplayer to either cover up or go change)
why, yes, I have been goin to this con since day 1. Wanna brain-break on the age math?

AB '18 cosplay check
[Friday/Sunday] Maid Cafe
[Saturday] "gym" Hanayo - Love Live!

Shiroikami
Veteran Poster

Post by Shiroikami » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:29 pm

It should be fine inside the boundaries of the convention center, but I would strongly recommend bringing a long jacket of some sort that you can put on any time you decide to leave, even just to go to non-convention parts of the Sheraton or to get food at the Prudential mall. Cold weather aside, I have seen (female... never male) cosplayers stopped by mall security and asked to cover up by mall security.
Flying is easy. You just have to learn to throw yourself at the ground... and miss...

2007 - Shinigami in Pink
2008 - Mitsuru (Persona 3)
2010 - Jade Curtiss: Doctor Mambo costume title (Tales of the Abyss)
2012 - Xion (Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days)
2013 - Yukionna
2014 - Kyubei (Puella Magi Madoka Magica)
2015 - Sailor Jupiter
2016 - Akatsuki (Log Horizon)
2017 - Sailor Jupiter

GirlyGothicGeek
Getting the hang of this...

Post by GirlyGothicGeek » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:03 am

I'm not staff so I can't give official statements, but I've seen many people wear outfits that were more revealing than the Bunny Bulma to Anime Boston, so I think you'll be fine.
I hope your cosplay turns out well and that you enjoy the con! :D
Anime Boston 2018:
Friday - Sayaka Miki (Puella Magi Madoka Magica)
Saturday - Harley Quinn (Suicide Squad)

Past years: Lucy Heartfilia (Fairy Tail), Bill Cipher (Gravity Falls), Carol Peletier (The Walking Dead), Chat Noir (Miraculous Ladybug), and Misa Amane (Death Note).

Check me out on Instagram! @girlygothicgeek ;)