EVA Foam - What do??

Looking for advice for your cosplay skit? Need help with your latest costume? Have advice to offer? Looking to sell some commissioned costumes? This is the place!
Selestyl
Veteran Poster

EVA Foam - What do??

Post by Selestyl » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:29 am

Hi all, I’m trying to craft Ignis’ daggers (from FFXV) out of EVA foam but I’m honestly overwhelmed with all of the information out there about foamcrafting. I can’t parse our what’s good information or what I should be following, and I don’t even know where to begin. I was hoping someone could give me some
sort of idea where to start because I’d like to get the weapons right! Thanks in advance :)
2018 Lineup:
Fem!Ignis, post-Altissa - Final Fantasy XV
[Potential] Ochako Uraraka - My Hero Academia
[Potential] Heine Wittgenstein - The Royal Tutor
[Fallback] Ema Skye - Ace Attorney: Spirit of Justice
[Fallback] Piccolo - DragonBall Z

Extra Emphasis
Getting the hang of this...

Re: EVA Foam - What do??

Post by Extra Emphasis » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:38 am

I would start with making a pattern for your sword out of newspaper or something before cutting anything out of the EVA foam. Break it down into your base sword first and then worry about smaller details after. After you have a pattern, pin it down and trace that onto eva foam with a marker (I like sharpies for this). Cut it with a brand new utility knife. You can get them cheap at Walmart as well as replacement blades. You'll get nice clean edges. If you need to glue anthing together, use contact cement, but do it in a well ventilated area or have a respirator cause it's pretty terrible to breathe in. Oh also don't forget to heat seal or form your foam pieces before gluing! You can use a blow drier or a heat tool/ gun. If you have any other questions feel free to contact me. Good luck!

JaimeStoneDead
Getting the hang of this...

Post by JaimeStoneDead » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:28 pm

^ Fantastic advice.

Also grab foam in some different thicknesses. The thin sheets that you get at craft stores work fantastically for detailing.
AB2018: Secret WIP!!
AB2017: Celestia Ludenberg - Danganronpa [with a Gundham Tanaka]
AB2016: Crona - Soul Eater [alongside a Free Werewolf], Jaeger Pilots - Pacific Rim

AB2015: Jaeger Pilots - Pacific Rim
AB2014: Juliet Starling - Lollipop Chainsaw[with Starling Sisters], Revy - Black Lagoon [with Eda]
Ab2013: Juliet Starling - Lollipop Chainsaw[with a Zed]

Selestyl
Veteran Poster

Post by Selestyl » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:55 pm

Thanks, all!

Is there an alternate to contact cement? And what is heat sealing? I’m sorry for all the questions but I am honestly so lost and don’t know where to begin!
2018 Lineup:

FiretoIce
Expert Poster

Post by FiretoIce » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:26 pm

Foam is super porous, it will suck paint like no one's business and will sometimes loose it's shape. Heat sealing is taking your heat gun, or heating device, and passing it over the foam till it is 'shiny' and super smooth. that will help the paint look better.
I like to heat seal my armor, then cover with a primer, I LOVE flexidip. There are a lot of YouTube tutorials about using it on armor and sealing your foam.

Contact cement is your best bet, but other alternatives are screws and tacs, be careful of breaking the excess tip off then covering the head and exit hole with a little hot glue . Do you have reservations about it?
2018 AB
Genderbend Ganondorf
Ronin Flareon

2017 AB-
San
Boros
Ashiya

Selestyl
Veteran Poster

Post by Selestyl » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:48 am

FiretoIce wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:26 pm
Foam is super porous, it will suck paint like no one's business and will sometimes loose it's shape. Heat sealing is taking your heat gun, or heating device, and passing it over the foam till it is 'shiny' and super smooth. that will help the paint look better.
I like to heat seal my armor, then cover with a primer, I LOVE flexidip. There are a lot of YouTube tutorials about using it on armor and sealing your foam.

Contact cement is your best bet, but other alternatives are screws and tacs, be careful of breaking the excess tip off then covering the head and exit hole with a little hot glue . Do you have reservations about it?
Oh that makes perfect sense! All I have for now is a hair dryer - I’ll be looking at a heating gun once I get everything else.

Contact glue just made me nervous because of the fumes but I can live with it.

Thank you for all of the help!
2018 Lineup:

FiretoIce
Expert Poster

Post by FiretoIce » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:06 pm

Depending on the size of what you're working with and the thickness, stoves work too. Hair dryers just don't get hot enough for eva, just foamies.

Just make sure you have a mask on and the work area is ventilated.
In a pinch , and if it's not a competition piece, I've used aerosol insulation foam before for the inside of a giant sword, and hot glue drenched over polyester strapping for leg guards before. But if you want a clean finish, contact cement, then bondo, is your best bet.
2018 AB
Genderbend Ganondorf
Ronin Flareon

2017 AB-
San
Boros
Ashiya

Selestyl
Veteran Poster

Post by Selestyl » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:44 pm

I’m only using it for daggers, which I’d make out of EVA foam - money is just tight right now, so maybe this won’t be my year if I can’t afford the heat gun. Thank you!
2018 Lineup:

Shiroikami
Veteran Poster

Post by Shiroikami » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:31 pm

An alternative to heat sealing is to mix up a solution of 2 parts water, 1 part Elmer's glue, and 1 part Sobo fabric glue (or similar) and coat the entire foam piece with it.

On the plus side, this is a much cheaper option than buying a heat gun.

The downside to this is that it takes about 12-15 coats to get the same effect as heat sealing, and each coat needs to completely dry overnight before the next can be applied, making it a much more time-consuming process.

I've used this method to seal smaller foam pieces in the past, and it does work quite well.
Flying is easy. You just have to learn to throw yourself at the ground... and miss...

2007 - Shinigami in Pink
2008 - Mitsuru (Persona 3)
2010 - Jade Curtiss: Doctor Mambo costume title (Tales of the Abyss)
2012 - Xion (Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days)
2013 - Yukionna
2014 - Kyubei (Puella Magi Madoka Magica)
2015 - Sailor Jupiter
2016 - Akatsuki (Log Horizon)
2017 - Sailor Jupiter

Selestyl
Veteran Poster

Post by Selestyl » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:51 am

Thank you for all of the options!
2018 Lineup: