First time sewing a cosplay: need help with planning a component

Looking for advice for your cosplay skit? Need help with your latest costume? Have advice to offer? Looking to sell some commissioned costumes? This is the place!
NoDoubtNoHarm
I'm new!

First time sewing a cosplay: need help with planning a component

Post by NoDoubtNoHarm » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:11 pm

For AB 2018, I told some of my friends that I would go as Knoll from Fire Emblem 8, The Sacred Stones. I have already purchased fabric and a premade cape. I am fairly confident in some matters, such as the colors of fabric I've chosen and the creation of these two layers. Part of the reason I'm starting early is that, with enough time and tutorials, I can emulate almost anything if the need arises.

However, while my technical skills may be adequate, I don't have the best creative eye. So I am here to request assistance in determining some details, particularly in regards to the robe that is mostly covered with other garments in all the official art. I aim to have it include the collar, the folds that are depicted in the official art, and as many pockets as is feasible. Obviously, there is no existing pattern for such a thing, so I suspect I'll have to Frankenstein several elements together. I have a few patterns that could work bookmarked, but I would like to hear opinions from people more experienced than I before I start cutting anything.

As for details of what I have at my disposal:
:idea: At this time, I possess only basic hand-sewing skills, but my neighbor has a sewing machine that I will likely be able to use, and she may also assist me with more advanced techniques.
:idea: This is the fabric I purchased for the robe. I have 54 inches by 4 yards of it.
:idea: In case the above page disappears, here is a screenshot of the information.
:idea: Because it is essentially floor-length, I'll let it be known that I am 68 inches tall in total, and while I do not have ready access to a large enough measuring device to measure my neck to the floor, when I measure my head, it comes to be between 8 and 9 inches, which leads me to think that it would be 60 inches from my neck to the floor.

Also, once everything is together, I plan to recreate this.
Thanks in advance for your help!
Going to AB since 2009, when I was 13.
2009-L; 2010-Sebastian; 2011-Silver; 2012-Pokemon Trainer, Sebastian; 2013-Boyfriend of Frank-N-Furter; 2014-unnamed Winchester #4; 2015-college freshman; 2016-depression; 2017-TWEWY NPC; 2018-Knoll

Shiroikami
Veteran Poster

Re: First time sewing a cosplay: need help with planning a component

Post by Shiroikami » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:42 pm

The collar looks like it's actually a part of the top tabard. You could easily make that as a whole piece, using any pattern for a turtleneck, and bias tape for the flair on the front. Alternatively, you could instead choose a long-sleeved turtleneck shirt pattern, and make the whole thing that way. Again with bias tape for the flair.

The robe is actually very easy. From the picture, it looks like it's basically a sleeveless dress. You might get the best results by looking for patterns for nightgowns, simply omitting any frills and sleeves, and extending the length when you cut the cloth so that it will reach the floor when you wear it (if you haven't done pattern alterations before, I strongly recommend adding more length than you think you'll need, then having someone help you with hemming after it is otherwise complete). I suggest nightgowns simply because they tend to have the same shapeless volume that you'd be looking for for a robe like that.
Flying is easy. You just have to learn to throw yourself at the ground... and miss...

2007 - Shinigami in Pink
2008 - Mitsuru (Persona 3)
2010 - Jade Curtiss: Doctor Mambo costume title (Tales of the Abyss)
2012 - Xion (Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days)
2013 - Yukionna
2014 - Kyubei (Puella Magi Madoka Magica)
2015 - Sailor Jupiter
2016 - Akatsuki (Log Horizon)
2017 - Sailor Jupiter